Welcome to PatsFans.com

Grade Matt Cassel's performance

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ctpatsfan77, Oct 21, 2008.

?

What grade would you give Matt Cassel v. Denver?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2008.
  1. A

7.7%
  2. A-/B+

26.3%
  3. B

38.5%
  4. B-/C+

13.5%
  5. C

11.5%
  6. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. F

2.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

18-for-24, 185 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT, 136.3 rating
    Jay Cutler: 17-for 26, 168 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT [+ a fumble for Ramsey]

What grade would you give him for tonight?
  2. JFK

JFK Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'll give him a C. He was really average. He didn't do anything bad or great.
  3. TommyBrady12

TommyBrady12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

he did make a couple of nice throws to Moss and a couple of td passes.

i would say a solid B.

Cassel still holds onto the ball way to long and has not made much improvement in seeing the field. he's got to learn to hit those receivers a lot quicker.
  4. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

I gave him an A-. His throwing was really, really good. But he still suffers in the intangibles area in that he holds the ball too long and eats too many sacks. If he improves the speed of his reads, moves in the pocket better, and gets rid of the ball faster, he could become an A QB. But he's not quite there yet. Still, a very impressive game for Cassel. Something he can definitely build on.
  5. captadamnj

captadamnj Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Statistically, a good game. Next step for him is to learn to get rid of the ball instead of taking the neg. yards. On a couple of the sacks he had no chance, but a couple of times he turned around a couple of times looking for a place to run, just through the ball. And that almost interception at the goal line, just a terrible throw. Nice to see the Pats came right back with the same pattern for him.
  6. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#37 Jersey
    He did make one big mistake in the rollout to Faulk that was almost a pick.
    Funny how they basicly ran the same play again right after the review overturned the call!
  7. JFK

JFK Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The Screen Touchdown wasn't really Cassel. Players played hard today. Yes he had 3TD but Welker was wide open. The TD he threw to Moss when Bly covered Moss was nice. I am not hating but I just don't think he deserves a B. He didn't change the game. Denver was poor and the good running helped him a lot.
  8. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

I gave him a B-. That Broncos defense is hilariously bad and he still holds the ball a little too long and doesn't go deep. I think tonight definitely helps him rythm/chemistry wise though. The OL continues to be the Pats biggest issue IMO.
  9. Boston Jay

Boston Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

B.

Same issues that will get better with more playing time. The OL blew it sometimes. Cassel held on too long sometimes. Can't argue with with 3 TDs and the 130+ rating. He did what he had to do.
  10. JFK

JFK Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

A-? That's like a 94/100 in my school. But I wish him the best. Hopefully, this game boosts his confidence and he starts playing better. He needs to read defense and find his 2nd and 3rd options. He is not deceptive either.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  11. Richter

Richter Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

B+. Solid throwing the ball except for a few ducks, still slow on his reads in general, but he picked up on guys coming wide open much better than in previous weeks. Still took too many sacks, half the sacks in the game were on him, the rest were poor blocking or formation issues. Didn't make any egregiously stupid throws except for the one near-interception at the goal line. Not A material, but close. The Patriots can win 11 games this year if Cassel plays like this the rest of the season.
  12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

The guy put up a quarterback rating over 130, had 3 touchdowns and no picks, ran hard to pick up up a big first down, and wasn't the 'problem' with most of the sacks. How the hell does someone give that a "C" rating?
  13. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I think he holds the ball longer than he should at times because he doesn't yet have the confidence to or he is being coached not to attempt those throws that have smaller windows. He is doing a tremendous job with not making any mistakes. As he continues to improve I expect he will become more and more decisive and take less sacks.

Anyhow I give him a solid A for his performance tonight. Sure he was helped out with good field position and a great running game most of the night, but 3 TDs and 0 INTs is a good night for the young kid with the impossible task.
  14. drew4008

drew4008 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Much better tonight. I think as far as my expectations, he gets an A-. It'd be closer to a B- for Brady, but it's a whole different scale. Most of the sacks were the protection's fault, just to clear that up.
  15. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It's bad enough when unqualified mediots conduct this exercise but none of the messageboard graders here are remotely qualified to grade much of anything...
  16. fumbrunner

fumbrunner Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Gave him a B. Good, solid game from him. Wow, Denver's D stinks.
  17. JFK

JFK Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Basically. But hey...We all have opinions and this is the point of a Message Board.
  18. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

184 yards against a pathetic defense missing basically all of it's secondary, a lot of which were exaggerated by YAC. His reads were just ok and he still holds the ball too long. Check out the Passer ratings of QBs against Denver this year, all of which are above 100 except 1. I think he's improved, and I hope he can continue to, but I'm not going to get carried away a B- grade is completely fair. Giving him an A for this game is just as knee jerk as giving him an F for the Miami and SD games.
  19. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Some fool on my ignore list gives an F but he's not a troll or anything. He's just a realistic Pats fan damnit!
  20. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I haven't seen the game yet but from what i heard (second half) plus his stats i gave him an A
  21. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

The 1 being Garcia :). Oh and Cassel's is the best out of them all, and he's Quarterbacked 6 games (since HS).
  22. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

The team put up over 40 points, and Cassel was 18 for 24. The team only punted 3 times all game, and there was never a 3-and-out for the Patriots. The offense scored on 7 of the 10 non 'ending' drives. Exactly how many yards do you think he needed to throw for?
  23. PatriotNMP43

PatriotNMP43 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I gave Cassel an A-, his best game of the year, no picks, found his 2nd and 3rd options much better, discovered he had a TE and 3 TD passes to big guns Moss/Welker. Cassel needed this game to boost his confidence, big thanks to the Denver D for helping out in a big way. Hard to believe 6 sacks but only 3 were his fault, the OL better start blocking better or Cassel will be rehabbing an injury like Brady.
  24. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

That's not the point. An "A" grade means he shined, and I don't think he did. He was just OK from what I saw and isn't responsible for the entire offensive output. Passer rating is the dumbest stat in sports. we ran the ball at will with whatever back we put in the game, I'm not going to give Cassel credit for that.
  25. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

Bly and Bailey didn't play for most of the game. That was a terrible defense playing without two of their best players.
  26. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

B

with that type of running game, a lot of QB's could play like that

and he played a pretty bad D...
  27. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Let's see:
    - Turnovers = zero. When pressured he did not throw up prayers trying to force a play. He did a nice job of avoiding a strip sack on one play (that was one time I wanted to see him stop looking upfield and run the ball) and protected the ball despite the defenders often getting through the O-line and RBs like greased pigs.
    - Continues to work his reads trying to improve and make plays, he continues to get better.
    - Pretty decent accuracy when he's not being asked to rollout and throw on the run.
    - Reports of "panic" are utter rubbish from too many intellectual midgets.

As a starting QB, I grade him a C, as a developing QB, bump it to B+.
  28. Hok

Hok Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

A B, but a shaky one. He's got to go through his reads quicker and stop taking so many sacks for big losses.
  29. emoney_33

emoney_33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Do not try to bring me down from my super high right now. Give them all an A!!! :D There shall be blind homerism for the rest of the night/morning and you shall love it!
  30. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0

My Jersey:

Pretty much EXACTLY how I feel. I don't know whether you grade him as a starting QB or a developing one, so I graded him a B- according to the former.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.