Welcome to PatsFans.com

GQ article on Ted

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It was done in 1990, so it's a little dated .... but the essence of Ted Kennedy's life is captured well, I believe. Sidenote: this was written by the first journalist killed in Iraq in 2003, Michael Kelly.

[size=+3]A SOBER LOOK AT TED KENNEDY[/size]

by Michael Kelly

When GQ sent Michael Kelly to profile one of America’s most powerful men, Kelly was a young writer, and unknown. But after three months of reporting, thousands of pages of research, and over seventy interviews with everyone in Washington, from congressmen to waiters on Capitol Hill, he filed this famous portrait of Edward M. Kennedy, remarkable not only for its courage in exposing a senator’s vices but also for the balance of its tone. GQ has published many celebrated political articles over the years—profiles of George W. Bush and Colin Powell, interviews with John Kerry and Chuck Hagel, to name a few—but this one may well be the best. Michael Kelly went on to cover the Gulf War for this magazine and to edit The New Republic and The Atlantic Monthly in turn. Tragically, in 2003, his Humvee crashed under enemy fire in Iraq.

TED KENNEDY ON THE ROCKS
    The once-strong voice of liberalism is now slurred, but the bibulous Kennedy boyo remains the life of the party

GQ, February 1990

Edward Moore Kennedy works harder than most people think, and this morning he is working very hard at a simple but crucial task. He is trying to face the day. It is 9:30 A.M, September 26, and Kennedy is in Room 138 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building to introduce a bill to lure new and better teachers. This kind of thing is ice cream and cake for any practiced politician, a simple piece of business that will provoke few tough questions and at least a few approving editorials. But for Kennedy it seems a great challenge, and no fun at all. He hastens tonelessly through his prepared statement like a court stenographer reading back testimony to the judge. He passes off most of the perfunctory and easy questions to the other politicians and education-Establishment figures joining him, and he stares into space as the other men do the job. When he goes to the podium to introduce his fellow speakers, he walks with a nervous, cautious shuffle, like Steve McQueen after he’s been let out of solitary in Papillon. When he holds out the piece of white paper to read the introductions of men he’s known for decades, it flutters and shakes in the still air.

A SOBER LOOK AT TED KENNEDY: GQ Features on men.style.com

//
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Interesting article, but it was published prior to his becoming involved with Vicki, when he chose to turn his life around ... most christians believe that you can change your life if you want to.. apparently he did in the last 17+ years... so continue to bash, it is interesting that there was such a show of force from the conservative side at his funeral.. and so many kind words.

Pretty confident most of us went through periods of our lives that we are not proud of, some lasted longer than others...

Rush will be proud you dug this one up...
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

asked Kraft what he wanted people to know about Kennedy. "His service to the community, his looking out for the little guy,'' Kraft said. "His family was a family of privilege, but they always used their power to help the people who needed the help the most. People used to say to him, 'You never worked a day in your life.' But I know he did. He really, really worked hard, and for the right reasons

Read more: Jay Cutler's Mile High reunion, 10 Things I Think and more - Peter King - SI.com
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Turned his life around?? After all he did to harm others?? You say you were "not a big fan of Ted's", but here you are excusing his life's fruit with ... what ... a mirage of a marriage?? What about Joan? What about Mary Jo? What about the underage Congressional pages he hit on?? What about the hundreds -- if not thousands -- of others??? What kind of message did he send out all of his life?? In his dotage he decides he needs a safe harbor to come home to at night -- since he doesn't have the same juice he had in his youth -- and so he hooks up one last time with Vicki, another very wealthy white woman who will eat up his very words. Hmmmm....

His "last 17 years" a "turn-around"?? Aside from his personal weaknesses, his dedication to the end to force hard-working honest tax-payers to pay for all his pie in the sky false promises of "freedom and equality for all" shows he did not change that much. The day Ted (or ANY Kennedy) actually marries one of those poor, under-class, "passed over" among the suffering in the world will be the I can take their lofty claims for "equality and fairness" seriously. The day Ted or any Kennedy opens their enormous off-shore trust fund bank accounts and invests in the "poor and underprivileged" will be the day they have credibility. Until then it is simply snake oil, demagoguery, and false promises of hope. Not good enough.

//
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

Bush quit drinking years ago, and he once went AWOL while he was probably drunk, the Left Wing Haters never let him forget it and some of them still bliubber about, Rodent Face Dan Rather destroyed his whole career over it, many, many years will pass before the Left Wing Bush Haters stop talking about that one.

Ted Kennedy for all of his life "had no character" his "Fawners" like to think it was Vikki that changed him when all it was, was Age, in his soul he was the same the man. May God Have Mercy On His Soul.
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Find it interesting that you are able to set this standard for him, based on a whole bunch of conjecture and and '90's article... a great example is Rev. Moon, who was incarcerated for sexual improprieties in the 50's and now he leads a religion.. with your line of reasoning he should be a fraud also... one could make the same claims of him as a demagogue, snake oil salesman and false promises of hope.

You are also the one who is hopeful of a Gingrich for Pres run, with Ted Nugent as his sec of defense..:confused::confused: those will be high standards, all the rhetoric you regurgitate is directly conflictual to other things you have posted.

Most religious folks that are real and I know, believe in forgiveness and redemption.. guess the moonies are quite a bit different..

You are nothing but a lemming fraud, another nettering nabob of negativity about anything from the left.. not important if it is true, just run your mouth about a whole bunch of crap you do not know much about, but believe you can just figure it out... if it makes sense to you, then it is right.
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

Darryl & Fog,
    I love you two guys..........:singing::singing:
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Somebody around here can't stand to see and hear the truth, that much is established. Everything I said about Ted Kennedy is clearly established as fact; if he wants to refute any of it, he can, but so far he has not. He led a life of privilege and power and undue influence, and he broke just about every moral code in existence, plus several felonies for which he was never prosecuted. Yet, because so many see their own flaws in Teddy, they rush to give him a pass. "Oh, his brothers all died. Oh, his father made him do it. Oh, he lived such a 'tragic' life. Blah, blah, blah."

Tell it to Mary Jo, tell it Joan, to it to all the women who turned into sluts because Teddy told them it was "OK" to do. Tell it to all the guys trying to emulate Teddy's drunken, philandering, promiscuous, life-style ... and now find themselves living on the street in carb board boxes.

Still, all that could be forgiven if Teddy had just taken ONE of his "poor" as his wife. If ANY Kennedy had taken just ONE of the poor and fed them, cared for them, educated them, given them a noble job ..... but no. Teddy tells us all that WE have to pay for the poor, WE have to pay and pay and pay for HIS welfare programs (so he can get re-elected again and again); Teddy and the Kennedys are too busy on Vineyard, sailing on Nantucket Sound, rousting waitresses in DC bars, raping young women at the Compound in Hyanisport. "Pay up, all you working people of America!!! The Kennedys have bigger and much better things to do than actually get THEIR hands dirty or spend THEIR money on the poor."

And Rev. Moon has NEVER sexually misbehaved. Ever. Mary Jo Kopechne, on the other hand, was a real live person until that night with Ted. The endless stories of Ted's serial love affairs is documented, well known fact.

But, have no fear!!! Ted is gone, and a new day is here!! We ain't going back, either!!

//
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Never mind.. time to move on.
  10. elway7

elway7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Ya we know darryl loves fog ! He follows him around like a love sick school girl!
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

interesting comment, considering you play the role of my little *****.. note your signature...
  12. elway7

elway7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Little ***** ? Prison reference! Like your fog"s little *****! This whole man love thing you have going on kinda works for you!
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -4

My Jersey:

America's new Poster Boy (Barack Hussein Obama) is destroying the Democratic Party even Billy Blue Dress is now shaking his head.

He has such a beautiful Smile and Michelles Arms are so Firm, I think I'm going to faint.

Chris (mush mouth matthews) sits in the NBC mens room holding a picture of Prince Barack while he plays with himself.
  14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Time to move on.. happy endings.
  15. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

.... and he *hates* it when I stick his pig-tails in the ink well. :p

//
  16. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ~~~Out of Order~~~ PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#87 Jersey

I knew some born again Christians when I was younger - friggin annoying people I'll tell you.
    Argue with those pr!cks all night long and you got nowhere.
    They had it etched in stone that the only way to be a good Christian was to screw up and repent.

I was like WTF ... why can't I be good.

Why can't I be good and get better ... why do I need to screw up?

I didn't drink or do drugs as a teen, too much sports... I sinned later in my early 20's.
    So I was like ... I can't join unless I'm a stoner

... that was way messed up ... annoying people those birther Christians.
  17. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You're absolutely right. Unificationism is the only way to go.

Rev. Sun Myung Moon Official Website
    Exposition of the Divine Principle - 1996 Translation

//