Welcome to PatsFans.com

Government Sponsored Euthanasia

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by godef, Aug 12, 2009.

1. godef

godef Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I continue to challenge both the concept as well as the idiocy of those who thought up this scare tactics, and those who bought into it. Damn, I woulda been screaming and yelling at town hall meetings if I actually believed this was true.

So now I'm calling you all out. What justification was there for even implying that the Obama bill suggests government sponsored euthanasia? How was this anything more than another rotten and deceptive scare tactic from the right? And how much of the other things righties say about the bill that is not more of the same, like Chuckie Connors article (discussed in one of Harry's threads) in which he deceptively left out the word "voluntary" when discussing how the government would upsurp the parental rights of child raising.

You have been lied to by opponents of UHC (ie the PHC industry and its syncophants) as per the examples above. And yet you still listen and believe these people. What's up with that?
  2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

People look at the public plan in Oregon where cancer patients (1 in his 50's for example) were told they couldn't get cancer drugs, but the state would pay for an assisted suicide. They don't want the state deciding these sorts of things.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't think many have suggested government sponsored euthanasia. I watch the Fox trio of O'Reilly, Hannity and Beck fairly often and that's not talked about much, if at all.

What is a real issue, though, is procedures for the aged and dying. Will a person with 6 months to live get a knee or hip replacement ? Should they ? It's a viable question and it will be asked with medicare cuts. I'm not necessarily against this, sometimes it's just too much money and too much effort. When my mom was dying from cancer a few months ago she chose to stop going to the hospital and move to hospice simply because it was getting to painful and difficult to get to the hospital for cancer treatments. It was time, sometimes it just is.

I'm against the healthcare plan and I'm very much against how it's being pushed through without better alternatives being considered. But spending huge dollars fixing up people who are about to die, that's a totally different issue.
  4. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +118 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I know you to well i want to see a link to this story.
  5. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

7. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Reminds me of the case a couple of years ago in Massachusetts where the boy with muscle cancer was denied cancer medicine by MassHealth- Massachusetts' longstanding Medicaid plan.
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

I have linked 2 seperate cases in other threads, btw when do ever provide a link to your opinions?
  9. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You got your butt bailed out by me, I found the actual case you were talking about. Next time give a link or else your claim is just a load of garbage not worth the bytes it takes up on the site's server.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 11 / -27

Interesting that there is really only one story reporting this, all the rest are referring to fox news... Mr. Stroup is now deceased and it is difficult to tell when he asked for the Chemo.. the fox news story is dated june 28,2008 and he died in July 2009... and it is unclear as to whether the healthcare acquiesced or continued the denial...

Without regard it is anecdotal and not the norm, unless one person died in Oregon last year.
  11. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Article provided as proof of the case existed only...
  12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

Here's an example of this nonsense. It's the only example I could find on this issue, and of course it's cited by all the conservative websites.

Oregon health plan covers assisted suicide, not drugs, for cancer patient

Most insurance companies put limitations on their treatment of untreatable diseases. Some have caps on how much money they'll spend. Others don't provide for experimental drugs. Others don't provide for nonstandard drugs (the VA system is like that). And most provide for palliative care. It's certainly an issue, but Patsfans13's implication that it's limited only to government run health plans is just another example of misinformation, I think.

At any rate, I hope will stand with Patsfans13 who apparently thinks that health insurance companies (public or private) should be required to give people whatever medication they need to prolong their lives. Of course, this may mean higher taxes even under the current system, but if it saves a life, it's worth it.
  13. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +350 / 11 / -27

But the point is you do not know the whole story, for example was chemo and surgery a previous effort and it was deemed that more chemo may not be beneficial?? Did anything happen after the initial story?? At best the story is anecdotal and does not tell the whole story.. alone it is concerning, but find it hard to believe that no one else reported it and everyone relied on one news source...
  14. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +118 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Right, of course, when theo's can't answer thay punt, try to buy time, then obfuscat.

Anyways i just want to know for the record if you think if O's health care plan passes if there will be dath panels, or death vans pulling up to Harry's door.
  15. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Like I said, I only provided the link that was asked for. Not refuting the story, not arguing either side, not going for follow ups by might now since you pointed out the person died. BUt still only posted the link because it was requested by Reflex.
  16. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Poor Harry...not even his fight and he gets stuck as a punchline in someone's post :eek::D
  17. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +118 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

For profit insurance co. would be the last to give any more than is nesaccery, their in the buisness of making money. We ALL have heard horror stories about insurance co's telling someone or their family thatfor one reason or another they are no longer covered, or the procedure or drug is experimental and dening further care. And if someone ha said they haven't i say their lying.
  18. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +118 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Maybe thats why he's not here they got him already :D
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +350 / 11 / -27

The point is that if you google this guy, there is nothing except blogs and columns that refer to the Fox Story.. interesting that no one picked it up on either side.. looks like lazy reporting..
  20. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey