Welcome to PatsFans.com

Government spending is OK.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Gainzo, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I hate to pick on Bachmann and her husband but this screams hypocrisy to me as the GOP has been actively cutting Planned Parenthood funding all around the Country.

Marcus Bachmann says his clinics not anti-gay | StarTribune.com
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Of course it's not evil to take the money - it's only evil to give the money.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Holy Cripes!! I like this "little incidental" at the end of the article most of all.

Bachmann is not a licensed psychologist in Minnesota, but state law has allowed unlicensed therapists to see patients. According to the Bachmann & Associates website, he has been a clinical therapist in the Twin Cities for more than 20 years.
  4. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Bachmann & Associates? As you are faith based here is federal & state cash. Planned Parenthood? GFY you heathens.

New Hampshire Planned Parenthood stops providing birth control | Reuters
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Ok....I've got lotsa questions now.

Every article I find which references Marcus Bachmann mentions that he is a "non-licensed" or "non-certified" Christian therapist. Yet, in Michelle's biography he is listed as a PhD and he uses the title, "Doctor," in front of his name.

So - just what is he a doctor of? If his speciality is psychotherapy and he is a medical doctor of something, why not have a license or at least a certification? Unless he's got a law degree or a doctorate in education or something and just likes using the title.

And - big question here. Normally insurance companies and government medical assistance programs do not make payments to non-licensed or non-certified medical professionals. So - how does he collect his medicaid payments? I suppose the people he employs could be licensed or certified or registered - but if the owner of the clinic is not, how legal is it?

I've tried checking the website of Bachmann & Associates but I keep getting a "that page no longer exists" message.

Can't find his education history located anywhere.

Interrrestting.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Ok.... I looked a bit further and found this:

His website states that he has a master’s degree education/counseling from Regent University in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Marcus Bachmann received his Ph.D degree in clinical psychology from Union Graduate Institute located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Union Institute, a non-profit private college based in Cincinnati, Ohio, specializes in limited residence and distance learning programs. Union Institute & University currently has a retention rate of approximately 67% and holds a graduation rate of approximately 52%.
    "One thing that distinguishes the Union Institute and University from its for-profit competitors is the the generalist nature of its Ph.D. The formal title of its Ph.D. degree is "Ph.D. in Interdisciplinary Studies." This title and the program reflect the original idea of the consortium of offering a non-residential Ph.D. program that avoided specialization and did not take as long to complete as a traditional program (originally it took a minimum of two years to complete)."

Given the problems with the Ph.D degree issued by Union and questions regarding the institution's accreditation, it is quite conceivable that the Bachmann's credentials are invalid altogether.“ This would also raise some questions about the clinic’s ability to meet the Minnesota requirements for licensing.

As another graduate of Union Institute, talk show host Gary Null, notes, "This school is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools but its accreditation does not cover awarding of PhDs in the sciences, only in the humanities. "

In any case, since nothing on either of the Bachmann's resume mention residing in Cincinnati, where Union Institute is located, one must, at the very least, assume his degree is a distance-learning or online type and not one normally associates with a medical doctor.

Meet The Bachmanns « GrateWire
  7. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Being unlicensed isn't an issue in Minnesota. I doubt I could open a "clinic" in Massachusetts without being licensed. I don't even think I can cut hair any any state without a permit/license!

Marcus Bachmann says his clinics not anti-gay | StarTribune.com
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

Yeah, I understand that....but that doesn't mean that Medicaid or private insurances will accept them or make payments to them.
  9. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Government provides funding to all kinds of things. Of course if it was up to the Bachmann's the government wouldn't fund unemployment insurance, minimum wage, social security, planned parenthood, etc.

If she wins the GOP nomination, she will be crushed in the general election.
  10. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Regent University and Union Graduate School are like Lincoln Tech and the "University of Phoenix"

Marcus' credentials:

11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +328 / 6 / -8

Not in Minnesota ;)

Wonder how long until they demand some carved-out Christian-Medicine-Only exception to the shutdown...
  12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +333 / 1 / -9

.....Oh Boy.....
  13. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

Now you're being "elitist." :)

-------

I thought that his clinic didn't wind up receiving any funding... because no would-be "patients" were interested in his tripe.