Welcome to PatsFans.com

Government Should Not Recognize Marriage

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Jun 7, 2006.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +334 / 6 / -8

I've posted this before in one of the gay marriage threads. It's kind of funny... I mentioned it to my boss, thinking I was the only person who had this spin, and before I even got the sentence out, he came up with the same opinion - I was actually amazed I wasn't the only one who thinks this:

The Government should not be in the marriage business.

The government can and should recognize a contract between or among adults of the age of consent. Groups, couples, who cares. They should be able to contract just as they would in a marriage, but without government interference in the religious aspect of marriage.

People should continue to be married by whatever clergy they feel the most affinity for, or stay contractually committed without marriage, or whatever.

Now, about the usual right wing red herrings:

- Group marriage? Sure. If someone has a church that will do one, who cares? A group contract (the government half)? Sure, if it holds water (I would think it could get trickier to draft the "boilerplate," but I see no reason it couldn't -- or shouldn't -- be done.)

- Marriage to minors: This falls under the category of "cannot consent." The same statutory rape laws apply to anyone having sex with a minor regardless of marital status. Similarly, you cannot sign a contract as a minor. In fact, current law is more lenient toward minors, in most states, provided they are married. Well WTF is that? They either can or cannot consent. With the government in charge of civic contracts, not marriages, the churches are aiding and abetting statutory rape if they perform marriages of minors to non-minors. The law becomes consistent. (I can just see some clergymen now... "it's like nobody can have sex with children now!")

- Marriage to pets, cattle, blowup dolls, furniture, etc: Once again, the consent issue is the sticking point. People can no more marry inanimate objects or animals, than they can non-consenting adults, or children. A cat cannot buy your car, and a table cannot be your business partner. Contracts are let between consenting adults, and the law only permits sex between/among consenting adults.

Turning blue in the face about morality assumes that others share your emotional take on morality, but clearly they do not. If seven people in Utah have another idea of what is "moral," why do you, I, or the U.S. government have any standing to tell them otherwise? If they have such a contract, enforce it.

I don't see this as any less moral than the spots around the country where the divorce rate is over 100% (The average married person gets divorced within the year, plus many remarry.) What is the point of giving such paragons of moral virtue financial rewards, which is what our current system does? Oh I remember: To perpetuate the current system.

I've had it with the "my bible says it's this way so my government must enforce it" crowd. In the U.S., we have a separation of Church and State. Don't bleat the cable pundit line at me about how the "Creator" is mentioned in the Constitution, the Declaration, etc. The "Creator" is kept far, far away from the actual law by that document, and for good reason. Neither would current Christian conservatives be at all happy with Jefferson's lifestyle, nor, I daresay, his deist outlook. Separation of Church and State was the only thing that kept Pennsylvania Quakers, Massachusetts Congregationalists, and Virginian libertine Deists on the same side of a Revolution. Want to basically establish a national religion? Fine. Imagine the country under the rule of a religion other than your own. Try Satanism for starters. That's how the rest of us feel when the religious right wants to establish mo' better government establishment of a religion.

The West has largely abandoned Theocracy - of course, our more moral counterparts in Iran have not.

Where would you rather live?

PFnV
  2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Well said. I've tried but no one ever deals with that take here.
  3. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This is very sensible stuff I can totally agree with.
    Great Post PFIV
  4. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I have mentioned something similar. Given the fact that I am not religious in anyway shape or form then I shouldn't be "Married". My wife and I were married at my mother's house by a justice of peace.

A very good post, I agree with the majority of it.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

There's a bunch of things the government recognizes or encourages because they want to push that general behavior and marriage between an unmarried adult male and an unmarried adult female is one of them.
  6. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Makes much sense...which is why it won't happen....
  7. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You're not the only one who thinks in these terms!
  8. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In reality its mostly the womenfolk who want that "official" status of being married. We men could probably go on with the status quo.
  9. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I also agree with this post. Marriage is a religious concept. The only reason government is involved is tradition. Let government and the legal system be involved in contracts.

Some very clear thinking there, PatsFanInVa.
  10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I smell a movement here. This is really the answer to this rediculous debate. How do we get wheels on this?
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +291 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

No, it's to encourage desired behavior.
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I don't want the idiots in government engineering "desired behavior", do you?
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +291 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I'm on record as saying I don't but they do it all the time. Sin taxes, tax deduction on home mortgages, etc.
  14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I know. Seems hopeless. Sometimes I just want to put a sawed-off in my mouth.
  15. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +334 / 6 / -8

Why is it regular everyday people react like this, but you KNOW any politician would be crucified?

I'd love to see a "common sense" movement on this topic, but just don't see it happening while any of us are still alive...for the record my campaigns against motherhood and apple pie are also gaining little traction.

PFnV
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I keep writing MLB about getting rid of the DH...nothin'...:(
  17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +334 / 6 / -8

MLB is the true descendent of the Knights Templar. That whole incantation about the express written permission of the commissioner is so pervasive I remember it by heart. Ever tried playing it backwards>?????? Okay neither have I. But I'm sure it cannot be good.

PFnV
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I have...It says, "Steroids are good...steroids are good".
    What was this thread about again?
  19. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +334 / 6 / -8

MLB's backwards track about steroids sounds suspiciously like some of our posters' line on Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh...

The thread about the anti gay marriage amendment.

You know how Cheney trotted out his gay daughter on stage once, after one of the Dems mentioned (obviously in an insidious way,) that he's got a bit of a problem there? Or how the various religious groups talk about how they love the sinner but hate the sin?

Someone needs to come up with a bumper sticker that says,

"Well if you love them so much, why don't you marry them?"

PFnV