Welcome to PatsFans.com

Government-Sanctioned Discrimination

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by State, Jun 22, 2009.

1. State

State In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Annapolis lowers bar for minorities

I thought it was bad to discriminate. Apparently, though, special consideration for non-whites is now something of an entitlement.

Academy English professor Bruce Fleming will obviously have to made an example of. How long do you give him?

There's no transparency in these important decisions of who gets hired or is offered matriculation. Why is that?

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

I can't comment on this Press Cover will come out of hiding and I'll get into all kinds of sh!t.

GOD DAMN AMERICA (rev uncle jeremiah wright holy man)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +347 / 13 / -11

There seems to be a reasonable amount of transparency. We know about the issue. We know what their regulations are. We know who reviewed those regulations. And there is an individual who believes their approach is discriminatory. But, the article actually contains no evidence, just the claims of a single professor whose sat on the schools' admissions board 6 years ago. At any rate, good for the Naval Academy for trying to make our military more diverse and correct the racial imbalance achieved because of years of discrimination in the past.

4. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

By your logic, Patters, discriminating against people is acceptable if to correct for past injustice that is pointed out by political program of liberalism. Is that correct?

5. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

%^$* &*&^%$#

(*&^%

6. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +14 / 1 / -0

Why is any of this shocking, it's business as ussual in the US these days. There is one thing I figured out along time ago, As a white male I have the least amount of rights and yet, the most opportunity. So when you boil it all down lifes what YOU make of it.

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

So you are more interested in diversity and racial balance than competence in the military ?

Interesting.

8. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

if diversity is your only goal, certainly.....but this is the military......you know, the best of the best of the best......

this is not about diversity since those appointees are already there......it is one thing to have diversity as a part of admissions........it would be quite another to pad the scores of cadets based on race.........it undermines the mission statement of the Naval Academy

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +347 / 13 / -11

No, it's not acceptable, but how do you address the problem created because of past wrongs? The fact is that a white kid is more likely to grow up in a military home than a black kid because there was discrimination in the past. So, the white kid has all sorts of advantages -- connections in the military, inside knowledge about how to talk to people, advantages about what should go on an application, knowledge about the kinds of questions that will be asked, etc. How do you guard against those kinds of advantages built-in because of past racial discrimination? You do so, not by taking into account a person's race, but by considering exam grades as well as other kinds of qualities and experiences a person has that might make them good for the military.

10. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

it would seem so........there should also be racial diversity in the operating rooms of all hospitals in the USA....especially for when people like Patters has surgery........forget about the idea of having the best doctors, it is more important that all walks of life are represented when Patters is having life or death surgery

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

I'm sure that's coming with obamacare :rolleyes:

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

You set the standards appropriately and you let all people strive to meet them.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +347 / 13 / -11

I don't believe that tests are the only measure of a person. For example, a person who does not do best on a test but speaks Farsi or Afghani would strike me as an asset. Someone who did not do best on a test, but had grown up a good citizen in an area that had a lot of gangs might show the kind of internal fortitude that would serve a soldier. While testing is valuable, most professional companies to the extent they use it at all, use it as only one factor when considering how to build an effective team.

14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

All right kids, let Olaf have the ball because he's a Swede, tra la la twiddle dee dee, oh aren't we good, mushy mushy suck slop.

Attention Illegal Aliens:
    Welcome To My Lawn.

15. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

but why should people get automatic points for being a different race? guilt based on past wrongs? sorry, but nobody involved (student or professor) has been involved in any past wrong......

the simple fact is that reward for anything other than ability or achievement undermines continuous improvement........regardless of reason......the military has no business in feel-good stories......people want to be the best? let them work for it.....it is the best way

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +809 / 2 / -9

Affirmative Action Is Insulting And Degrading There Is No Need For It In Todays Society The Opportunitys Are There, To Achieve Them On Ones Own Merit Brings A Sense Of Pride To The Individual And Their Loved Ones.

The lowering of scores in a test for a certain group of people is cruel, your telling them right to their face "your not as smart as other people and you never will be"

Disgusting Insulting Cruel

17. Patters

Ratings:
    +347 / 13 / -11

Who's giving automatic points for being a different race? Whose doing this out of guilt? What is your basis for making those claims?

I agree, award people for ability and achievement. A test is one measure, but there are other measures. Little Lord Faunterloy might do well on an achievement test, but I bet some tough urban kid has some achievements too that are worth considering. And, how much of ability does a test measure? Does is measure agility? Strength? Discipline in terms of physical training? Reflexes? Instincts? Etc. You have to consider the whole person, and believe it or not there may be some categories where people from poor backgrounds or from nonmilitary backgrounds offer some real added value.

18. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

you can answer your own question........

But, the article actually contains no evidence, just the claims of a single professor whose sat on the schools' admissions board 6 years ago. At any rate, good for the Naval Academy for trying to make our military more diverse and correct the racial imbalance achieved because of years of discrimination in the past.

'giving automatic points for a different race' is a euphemism for giving an advantage to minorities......I know you don't have to try hard to see the connection....and 'correct the racial imbalance for years of discrimination'? sounds like guilt to me......again, you don't have to try hard to make the connection.........but I know you will try to spin out of it

whether he is a rich kid, or a tough street kid, or whatever, the same unit of measure must be applied to all students in order to be able to decide who is most capable........I'd' like to see your interpretation of how a tough street kids correlates to an effective nuclear sub commander

what they were has no relevance.......what they are going to be is the ONLY tangible end result

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +347 / 13 / -11

Humans are more complicated than that. Testing is only one measure of a person, and it's not always accurate. It needs to play a role. For instance, if you got 98% on a test and someone else got 75%, you'd probably make the better commander. But, if you got 98% and had a weak and high pitched voice and slumped shoulders, and someone else got 90% an had a strong voice and commanding presence, I think the person who scored 90% might be the better commander. There are countless examples like that. You have to look at the whole person. I don't know of one good company that relies on tests to hire people. Tests are only factor.

20. State

Ratings:
    +22 / 1 / -8

#70 Jersey

Which exactly why we should judge them based on the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

The accidents of birth aren't noteworthy--it's what we do with our potential that is; what we put into our minds.

The bean counters don't seek true diversity--diversity of mind--they're just, well, bean counters, who want everyone to look, act, and think like Clair and Cliff Huxtable and their family.

This is where the enlightenment project, manifested in its present form as liberalism, breaks down: the abdication of standards.

Do you want to fly a plane piloted by an affirmative action pilot?