Welcome to PatsFans.com

Government Education at its best!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

God help us.

Meds Help Preschoolers with ADHD

By: Psych Central News Editor
    on Tuesday, Oct, 17, 2006

Reviewed by: John M. Grohol, Psy.D.
    on Tuesday, Oct, 17, 2006

Researchers from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) have found that low doses of methylphenidate (Ritalin) are a safe and effective treatment for preschoolers who have attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

In the first long-term, large-scale study designed to determine the safety and effectiveness of treating ADHD preschoolers with methylphenidate (Ritalin), the study also found that children this age are more sensitive than older children to the medication’s side effects and therefore should be closely monitored.

The 70-week, six-site study was funded by the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and was described in several articles in the November 2006 issue of the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.

“The Preschool ADHD Treatment Study, or PATS, provides us with the best information to date about treating very young children diagnosed with ADHD,†said NIMH Director Thomas R. Insel, MD. “The results show that preschoolers may benefit from low doses of medication when it is closely monitored, but the positive effects are less evident and side-effects are somewhat greater than previous reports in older children.â€

Methylphenidate is the most commonly prescribed medication to treat children diagnosed with ADHD. But its use for children younger than 6 years has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. And until PATS, very few studies–and no large-scale ones–have been conducted to collect reliable, consistent data to help guide practitioners treating preschoolers with ADHD.

The 303 preschoolers enrolled in the study ranged in age from 3 to 5 years.

http://psychcentral.com/news/2006/10/17/meds-help-preschoolers-with-adhd/
  2. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Nothing like a raising a future generation of drug adicts.

Insight Magazine - October 15, 2001

New Research Indicts Ritalin

By Kelly Patricia O’Meara
    komeara@InsightMag.com

A recent study reveals that the drug being prescribed to tens of millions of school-age children for a scientifically unproved mental disorder is more potent than cocaine.

Thirty years ago the World Health Organization (WHO) concluded that Ritalin was pharmacologically similar to cocaine in the pattern of abuse it fostered and cited it as a Schedule II drug — the most addictive in medical use. The Department of Justice also cited Ritalin as a Schedule II drug under the Controlled Substances Act, and the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) warned that “Ritalin substitutes for cocaine and d-amphetamine in a number of behavioral paradigms.â€
    Despite decades of official warnings and supporting research confirming the similarities of methylphenidate (Ritalin) and cocaine, tens of millions of children in the United States have been prescribed this psychotropic drug for a widely accepted yet scientifically unproved mental condition: attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Now a recently concluded study at the Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) not only confirms the similarities of cocaine and Ritalin, but finds that Ritalin is more potent than cocaine in its effect on the dopamine system, which many doctors believe is one of the areas of the brain most affected by drugs such as Ritalin and cocaine.

http://www.resultsproject.net/New_Research_Indicts_Ritalin.html

According to the DEA, the number of prescriptions written for Ritalin since 1991 has increased by a factor of five (2.2 million) and about 80 percent of the 11 million prescriptions written for Ritalin are to “treat†ADHD. This means that nearly 9 million children have been prescribed the cocainelike “medication.â€
    Furthermore, according to a study published last February in the Journal of the American Medical Association, “Trends in the Prescribing of Psychotropic Medications to Preschoolers,†psychotropic medications have tripled in preschoolers ages 2 to 4 during a five-year period. More disturbing, say critics, given Volkow’s recent revelations, is that during the last 15 years the use of Ritalin increased by 311 percent for those ages 15 to 19 and 170 percent for those ages 5 to 14.
    The most recent figures available reveal that in 1998 there were approximately 46 million children in kindergarten through grade 12. Twenty percent — one of every five children in school — have been doped with the mind-altering drug.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

It's actually a Republican solution. Meds are cheaper than therapy, and the pharmaceutical companies are big Republican supporters. I think we should offer therapy, even if it means government funding of such care for those who can't afford it.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

My grandson, who we raised until he was seven, is dx ADHD.. talk about a long journey, conflicting dx, unresponsive schools, inadequate systems.. and we are pretty resourceful. He is doing better now, but it takes a lot of work and assistance on our part to get him through it. Personally we hate the meds, but nothing else will help him concentrate through any given day.
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA............
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I'm sorry but I just can't comprehend giving 3,4,5,6,7,8,9....year olds drugs that are chemically equivalent to cocaine. What happened to being a kid? I'm 32, and went to catholic schools. Had I been in a public school today, with my hyperactivity, they'd have drugged me for certain. Fugging sad. I'm sure their may be some extreme cases of imbalance, but the amount of kids being drugged up is criminal. In 20 years when this generation is in the 20-30year age bracket, the consequences of what we are doing will be substantial.
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +297 / 1 / -9

They would have put me in the electric chair, they had the right to strap us back then, when the principle strapped my hands I used to laugh at him, then he would go home sick.

Morse Grammar School Cambridge Mass 1932 - 1050.
  8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I would not suspect that you would understand my post, but I have come to expect your judgemental stance. WE HAD NO CHOICE, THERE ARE NO EASY ANSWERS, DRUGS ARE NOT OUR FIRST CHOICE, WE TRIED EVERY ALTERNATIVE EXPLORED EVERY AVENUE, HE HAS DONE OK, WE DO NOT GIVE THEM ON WEEKENDS OR DURING THE SUMMERTIME.. WE ARE CONCERNED ALSO, BUT HAVE NO CHOICE.
  9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Don't let a couple of E-bullies tell you what's best for your kid. You're the one who's there. You're the one who sees the difference. You know, they don't. Its real popular to say that any kid on any of this sort of medecine is being 'drugged.' That doesn't make it so. Since when does some internet yahoo have more gravitas when it comes to medical decisions than an MD?
  10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

My daughter went through grade school with a real ADHD kid ...I can see why they need the medicine...this kid would have been institutionalized in the 1800's and earlier 1900's.

Only 2% to 3% of kids actually have it and of those ... there is still some debate as to whether is is really a "disorder". The average class size of public schools is around 20 kids ... depending on the state I believe.

There was always at least 3 kids in my daughters and my sons classes during grade school who were on the medicine ... and no other kid was anywhere near like my neighbors kid ... it was easy to see this medicine was overprescribed...no question. There were rumors of teachers pushing for the medicine or certain kids would be moved to special schools. So, some parents were put in a dangerous 20/20 situation...I feel for them.

BTW Patters...the popularity increased during
    Clinton when the NEA was still extremely strong...
    just for the record. Also...like I said above ...
    the teachers were the driving force behind the
    popularity increase. I am surprised
    that you would make such a claim Patters.
    [​IMG]
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

F.B.N., I was giving Real World a hard time, but in all honesty, I do agree that drugs have their place. I once read an interview with a prominent psychologist who raised the question (and I'm paraphrasing), "What right does a doctor have not to give kids a medicine that can help them immediately rather than subject them to years of therapy?" Obviously, the answer is that kids (and adults) may need both and that real effort should be made to prevent kids from becoming dependent on any drug that affects the mind.
  12. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

In our stressed out world, parents economic needs for survival vs short term drug solutions for raising kids is a dangerous combination. I blamed the teachers but in all honesty, let's face it, the parents may choose this road to keep their kid in the local school so their jobs stay the same.

In any case ... this thread could apply to many drug solutions for children and for seniors who are not in a nursing home ... drugs have helped break the fabric of family obligations to loved ones ... a very sad day for those abused by these circumstances.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Like i said, I'm surethere are some extreme cases of imbalance. Your child may very well need them, but a cast majority do not.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

I never said that his kid shouldn't be on meds. His child may very well need them. My point is that they are drugging far too many children. As for an MD's opinion, do some research on the matter, and you will see how little these clowns know about what they are doing. Furthermore, a psycologist prescribes them. Don't think for one second that the drug corps aren't pushing for more prescriptions to be given.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

What lunacy. We've become such a drive-thru, 15 minutes or less society. Accountability and responsibility are no longer existent. Parents & teachers today refuse to deal with children. Instead they figure drugging them up to calm them down is easier than having to deal with a hyper kid who's actuallyacting like a kid. Zombie children are the wave of the future eh? Sad. In 20 years when this ritalin generation is incapable of dealingwith the stress's of adult life, and are hooked on cocaine, crack, and crystal meth, you'll all know why.