Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gov. Christie To Teachers' Unions: "You Punch Them, I Punch You"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, Jun 4, 2010.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

2. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I really do love this man.
    We've got Deval instead.
  3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

He has exceeded my expectations. By a lot. Maybe President someday.
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

It's very early for this guy, but so far he seems to be a real straight shooter. Let's see where he is a year from now, and whether or not the power of the office, or future office's to be held, changes him. I'm paying attention though.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

The guy's a nut. His argument is standard anti-union fare that 35 years ago was already old. You cannot possibly have a successful business model where some people get the benefits for free and others by voluntarily contributing. The right-wing knows this, and this is one of their basic arguments to destroy labor unions and leave all the power to the corporate interests.

At any rate, as an example of how nutty Christie is, consider this: Rather than honor an agreement between the teachers union and his own commissioner of education, he is likely giving up on getting a federal education grant for his state to the tune of $100-$500 million that will simply go to another state. He's a terrible governor.

N.J. Gov. Chris Christie dumps funding compromise with teachers union | - NJ.com

NJEA officials said they were stunned to learn the document submitted to the U.S. Department of Education did not contain the agreements on merit pay and tenure they had worked out with Schundler last week. Those same officials said there is now no chance the union will support the application — which could doom the submission.

Race to the Top is a competitive grant program created by the Obama administration that rewards states for bold school-improvement plans. New Jersey filed a first-round application in January, but failed. Delaware received $100 million and Tennessee got $500 million — they were the only states to win funding.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Is NJ still a state?

...just kidding, in-laws!
  7. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I always thought it was a suburb of New York and Philly :D
  8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I always thought it was a swamp or a toxic wast dump, my bad.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Please. You seem to have no problem with tens of millions of people getting "free benefits" on everyone else's dime. :rolleyes:

The NJ business model is an epic fail. Virtually all gubmit "business models" are epic fails. Just look around you. This guy is actually trying to right a sinking fiscal ship. I know very little about him, but from where I'm looking, he seems to be a man of principle, and firm resolve, in a state with a very bad history of rampant corruption. Good for him. I'd much prefer someone who let's their position be known, than some fony who simply says whatever it is the general public wants to hear. You know, like "together we can".

That federal money is basically a bribe. Do as we say, how we say it, or else you won't get the money we're dangling in front of you. Good for him if he flashes the fed the finger. NJ should worry about educating it's own kids, and not me.

The day of reckoning is coming. $130 million for the union in NJ, 19% raise for firemen in Boston, cops pulling in $150-200k per year, bailouts for loser slime criminals who now rake in record profits....:mad:
  10. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

New Jersey is where I stop for cheap gas that I am apparently unable to pump myself.

Also, they ruined Virginia Beach...
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  11. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Christie's as corrupt as any of them, RW. NJ does have a history of corruption, but both parties. And you don't right a broken ship by reducing your chances of getting a major federal education grant. A governor's job is to serve his state, not his political ideology. We see many examples of conservative Republican governors using stimulus money and seeking money to address oil spill damage in order to better serve their state. We have Senators and Congresspeople for representing national ideological interests.

Besides that, the post that initiated this thread is not about budget, it's about destroying labor unions and leaving all the power in the hands of the corporations, a point you did not respond to.
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Oops, looks like he isn't quite hateful enough of foreigners. I'm amazed he spent as much time in bed with the likes of Karl Rove and John Ashcroft and still retained that position.
  13. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

Fed handouts with strings attached aren't going to help this state.

The state is being strangled by high taxes and those are tied to government workers contracts especially their retirement and benefit packages.

Christie is trying to save a sinking ship.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I never said one side in Jersey was corrupt. I said NJ has a history of corruption. Reading is fundamental.

If the money comes with strings that cost you more long term, limit your ability to control your own system, and empower the corrupt, then turning it down serves the state more so, than would accepting it.

Corporations? What corporations are you talking about? Plus, the teachers union is a corporation. It's soul purpose is to make money for it's members (shareholders), and it spends tens of millions of dollars to influence political campaigns. It is a corporation like any other.
  15. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I partly agree with you. A teacher's union can be seen as a corporation representing the interests of its shareholders (teachers). The corporation certainly makes money for its executives, but nowhere near what business executives earn.

We can also apply the same logic to government. The government is a corporation that represents the interests of its shareholders (state residents). The government makes money for its executives, but nowhere near what business executives earn.

Unions, charities, and businesses all spend tens of millions of dollars to influence political campaigns. They all directly and indirectly get government support and taxpayer money.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I'd like to see a video of Christie "taking on" the police union, insurance lobby, and can't even imagine that kinda talk about the waste removal mob...er...I mean "lobby" and using tough-guy language like he uses with the teachers union. Doubt that's available on Youtube.

He's just another political hack making hay with a traditionally easy target like the teachers union. Not a fan of them because I don't care about the NJ education system, but I'm willing to be we would never see the same speech on the police union. He's weak and his ship won't stay afloat because of lame rhetoric like this.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Ultimately time will tell. If he assumes the fetal position against the others, then I'll agree with you, if he doesn't, then you'll have to give him props for being consistent. Like I said prior, I don't know much about the man, and he could be FOS in the long run. For now, I've liked the little that I've seen. Look at this state. How many years of sucking up have there been, and how gross are the public union contracts that we citizens are stuck paying for? My guess is that NJ is no different. It's a high tax state that has a big gubmit foot print, similar to our own. I'd love to have someone with some real backbone, that would come in here and literally clean house. It would take a borderline arsehole to do that, and I'd welcome it with open arms. Again, no specific clue about the situation down there, but from whatever it is I've read, NJ (systematically) sounds a lot like here.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

With one big exception...

IT'S FRIGGIN NEW JERSEY!
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

The difference is that one entity does it with the voluntary consent of private citizens, i.e. individual choice. The other does it with taxpayer dollars taken at gunpoint. Furthermore, while the gubmit argually operates like a business, it's purpose is not to make money. It's purpose is distinctly different, in that it doesn't sell a product, or market an idea. It provides basic services, like upholding the law, and the constitution. The gubmit is a non-profit, if anything. It's should operate at cost, plus $.00 cents. Unfortunately the gubmit has long over stepped it's bounds, and purpose, as it has become a racketeer for the most part. Stealing money from people at gunpoint, skimming off the top, bribing others, while meddling in everyone's business. :mad:
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I went out with a girl from Jersey, so trust me, I know what you mean. Hence the reason I made sure to point out "systematically".