Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gov Christie Death threats

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Apr 13, 2010.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Interesting liberal attitudes in Jersey....

"Governor Christie is calling for the firing of the Teachers' Union official who sought for prayers Christie's death. Christie was discussing death threats and other items on CNBC

New Jersey has a state budget of $29 billion and a deficit of $11 billion. New Jersey has among the highest property taxes in the nation yet the union wants more tax hikes.

Christie says the union argument "you are hurting the children" is an old, long worn out song. I agree. Moreover, all Christie is asking the union to do is accept a 1 year salary freeze and contribute 1.5% to their benefits (about $750 dollars a year for a $50,000 teacher).

Christie notes that Compulsory Teachers' Union dues are $730 a year. If the union wanted to do something for the kids, and the teachers, it could suspend those.

Unions are the "Bullies of State Street" says Christie.

Indeed, I do not believe Christie has asked for enough. Union benefits are overly generous. Full family medical and dental benefits are about $18,000 to $22,000 a year. The private sector does not get anything like that for $750 a year, let alone free."

2. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,460 / 20 / -20

#75 Jersey

PR, did you write the bulk of your post (between the quotes) or are you forgetting attribution again.

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,811 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

NorthJersey.com: Christie blasts teachers union for 'perverse' memo

http://dng.northjersey.com/media_server/tr/2010/04/09njea/Email_from_Ray_Skorka.pdf

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

And sometimes Unions work hand-in-hand with the public sector for the better good - which is the kids:

Teachers voted to forgo a 3 percent salary increase and to reduce their work year by two days on Tuesday in a bid to preserve jobs in the Munster school district.

As a result, no teachers will be laid off, said Ryan Ridgely, president of the Munster Teacher's Association. The association's decision is up for school board approval and will be discussed at the April meeting.

Administrators agreed to shoulder $900,000 in cuts. Together the salary reductions close the nearly $1.8 million shortfall Munster faced for next school year.

The decision came as Munster, along with other schools districts across the state, is forced to shore up its budget after Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels cut education by nearly $300 million.

"Basically anything and everything we could think of was on the table," Ridgely said. "Ultimately if we take another cut again from the state, we'll have to go back to the drawing board."

Ridgely said the union's concessions prevented from 15 to 30 layoffs. The 3 percent raise scheduled for the 2010 school year was built into the district's teaching contract. Tuesday's decision basically nixes the salary increase, but teachers will maintain the same salary as this school year.

Teachers will also pay $360 more a year for health insurance and those with coaching positions or who serve as advisers for extracurricular activities will take a 10 percent reduction in pay.

A retirement incentive for teachers who qualify was also approved.

Munster teachers approve pay cut :: Lake County :: Post-Tribune

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Just out of curiousity, I wonder if Gov. Christie is also asking every other state employee to take the same cut in pay - or for every union which represents some sort of state employee (including, of course, those who work directly for Gov. Christie) to suspend their dues, too - or is it just the teachers?

Just askin'.

7. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought only Republicans and Tea Party people did things like wishing for other people to die :confused: :confused: :confused:

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +990 / 2 / -9

There has to be some mistake, Dear God a liberal democrat wouldn't do anything like that, oh Jesus.

9. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +356 / 7 / -4

strawman...

10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Here's something for Mish to look into:

Here's some NJ state jobs which are posted and their yearly salary. They, like teachers, get the same health insurance plans and retirement plans.

Cashier: 35 hour week $35,000.00

Plumbing Inspector: part time 2 hours per week. $20,000.00

Records Manager: 35 hour week $45,000.00 - $70,000.00

Cook: 37.5 hour week $26,000.00 - $49,000.00

Business Manager: 35 hour week $65,000.00 - $91,500.00

Mechanic: 40 hour week $56,750.00 - $61,000.00

Check it out: NJCSC - JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

I'll tell ya what, if I were a teacher in NJ right now, I'd be ticked off. Do it across the board or don't do it all.

11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 10 / -14

Budgets were cut across the board to deal with the fiscal mess, he is doing what he promised when he ran (quite a change). The atate aid to individual districts were cut by different %, more cuts in districts that are considered more affulent, less in depressed urban areas, ironic since the areas with smaller cuts were areas that voted heavily for Corzine.

Some cuts will show up as staff cuts the local districts set up contracts with the teachers not the state,

Corzine also set up some sweetheart deals with certain unions who work of state contracts, Christie can't do anything about these. The sweetheart deals were given out by Corzine when he was a lame duck.

12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Oops...I forgot!:eek: Thanks Shmessy!

BUT...don't say "again" because I've never done this before. Apology accepted.

Governor Christie | Phil?s Stock World

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

Mish never lies or begs an issue, he is da man:D:D:D

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

EXACTLY Darryl....Now light is finally dawning on your marble head. NOw, would you like to comment on the SUBJECT or have you lost that ability.

Darryl: "Let's see, should I attack the poster or his source today? I know, I'll do both!"

16. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +715 / 20 / -30

It is neither, but that is not important..

If you rely on blogs for your info, it is your perogative, but that is the lazy persons way of finding out info..

17. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Blogs for ALL my info? Nice blanket statement;) Nah, I just like to use Mish for an economic perspective. I also use CNNMoney, Reuters and Yahoo as well.

Lazy? I prolly do more in day than most. But then again, we're on the internet and nothing here is real. Including who we perceive each other to be. Now, you should know that Darryl.

Any comments AT ALL over the haters in NJ? Or do you just want to continue this endless, mindless banter?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  18. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

This guy certainly talks a good game.

William McGurn: Reaganism, New Jersey Style - WSJ.com

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +838 / 7 / -3

Save the Children!

I'm sure you've seen me type those words on occasion.

This is the one that really points to how bad our troubles are.

Budget cuts are unfair. "The special interests have already begun to scream their favorite word—which, coincidentally, is my 9-year-old son's favorite word when we are making him do something he knows is right but does not want to do—'unfair.' . . . One state retiree, 49 years old, paid, over the course of his entire career, a total of $124,000 towards his retirement pension and health benefits. What will we pay him? $3.3 million in pension payments over his life, and nearly $500,000 for health care benefits—a total of $3.8 million on a $120,000 investment. Is that fair?"

Whoever it was that drew up this plan way back in the day, must have missed math class as a kid. Unsustainable. I contantly think of my buddy from the club, who just retired from the MBTA, at 46. He's going to get paid till death, with full bennies. How is that fiscally possible?