Welcome to PatsFans.com

Gov. Christie arrives at son's high school baseball game in State Police helicopter

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Jun 1, 2011.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Chris Christie (R-NJ), Governor of NJ, just took a State Helicopter to his son's baseball game, where a limo carried him the 100 yards to the field. He then flew off with his wife. While he calls for savage cuts in medicaid to the poor.

Gov. Christie arrives at son's high school baseball game in State Police helicopter | NJ.com

Remember only eleven years ago, when doing something like that brought down Massachusetts Acting Governor Jane Swift?
    Why Jane Swift Should Resign - The Tech
    And now it's just business as usual.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  2. chicowalker

chicowalker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

Re: Gov. Christie arrives at son's high school baseball game in State Police helicopt

This isn't necessarily a big deal. If they own the helicopter, there may be a need to use it at times, anyway -- pilot training, etc. and it's unclear what his schedule was -- maybe the helicopter was needed for his transportation elsewhere.

(I find the limo less likely to be appropriate, even if it was less expensive)
  3. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Gov. Christie arrives at son's high school baseball game in State Police helicopt

Yeah, I'm okay with a little abuse of resources. Like with Obama, you want to make sure he's got the best protection & transportation because you don't want anyone taking him out.
  4. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

"the best"? most people know there's a bit of a difference b/t the governor of New Jersey and the President of the US

But if it's needed for security, it isn't abuse -- not even "a little" abuse.
  5. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You could define any use as "abuse". And transportation is a factor too -- time management. Should we rehash all the arguments over Pelosi's use of government jets?
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +468 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

If who owns the helicopter? It belongs to the NJ State Police and is intended for "homeland security duties and transporting critically injured patients."

It seems his schedule was pretty clear - The governor had no public events on his schedule, offering no insight to where he might have been traveling from. He had a private meeting at 6:30 p.m. at Drumthwacket, the governor's mansion, in Princeton. He is meeting with a group of Iowa donors who have publically expressed a desire to persuade him to run for president in 2012.

I find them both pretty darn disgusting.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

This screams "do as I say, not as I do" on the surface. Is it an abuse of resources? That depends. If he explicitly took the chopper just to get to the game, then I'd say yes. If he was on state business and then stopped at the game, not so much. My position is that I don't think pols should use choppers and jets as taxis for personal lives.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +468 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Well, we know where he was going to - but not where he was coming from....and it sounds as though his office wants to keep it that way.

The governor had no public schedule Tuesday but had a dinner meeting later at the governor's mansion in Princeton with a delegation of Iowans who tried - unsuccessfully - to persuade him to run for president.

Drewniak declined to release his schedule for Tuesday or say where the governor was coming from when he arrived at the game.

NJ gov. takes state helicopter to son's ballgame - Forbes.com
  9. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

First, NJ is a small state, why can't he drive?
    Second, this is not even official business, it is leisure.
    Third, he can't walk 100 yards?
    NJ is cutting all forms of government, how in the world can he justify this expenditure?
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +468 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

That would be fine - and while we're at it, we could discuss her hypocrisy when she cuts Medicare and Medicaid and food stamps and teacher salaries.

Oh wait...she didn't do any of those things, did she?
  11. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

ah, so you think words mean nothing. got it.

No kidding? See my first post.

re-hash whatever you'd like
  12. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL do you even know what is in Obamacare???

Obamacare cuts Medicare reimbursement -- my healthcare system which is about 60% Medicare and 10% Medicaid will lose about 100 million over the next ten years due to Obamacare alone.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +180 / 2 / -2

what I'm saying, though, is that they may be used for purposes other than those duties, if that usage isn't frequent / demanding enough for training or other purposes

fair enough
  15. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

More like... if one is nitpicking expenditures the line between use & abuse gets thin. But we seem to agree so... whatever.
  16. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

This reminds me of the time Gov Jane Swift used a State Helicopter to got home from the Mass State House. I believe it happened in 2000 and she ended up paying a paltry fine.
  17. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

what a piece of work. A liberal LOON I suspect.

Or is she a crazy conservative:eek:
  18. Gainzo

Gainzo Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -1

#11 Jersey

Swift was a Republican, and Lt. Governor, who took office after Governor Paul Cellucci stood down to take the job of Ambassador to Canada.

She was a terrible Governor.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Hannity, Gingrich falsely suggested that Pelosi made unprecedented use of military plane -- but "practice began with Speaker Hastert" | Media Matters for America

Thats a video of Hannity and Gingritch talking $#!t about Pelosi using Jets...

I'm sure Hannity will discuss this tonight on his show....

Insert Sarcasm e-face

Transcript:

HANNITY: I agree with that wholeheartedly, Mr. Speaker. I want to go back to the issue what I was bringing up earlier. I want you to explain one thing to me. If everyone's so angry at corporate jet use and corporations that have perks, why isn't there that same anger at Speaker Pelosi? You didn't have a jet as a speaker, correct?

GINGRICH: That's right.

HANNITY: You didn't have one. You didn't have one to take --

GINGRICH: No, and I -- look, and I opposed giving one. I don't think the speaker of the House should have an Air Force jet. I think it's a misuse of Air Force personnel. I think there's no practical reason for it. The speaker of the House is provided security, as I was and as Speaker Hastert has, and as --

HANNITY: Yes.

GINGRICH: -- they have been for much of modern times. They should have security. And one of the people on the security detail carries a classified satellite phone that enables you to be in direct touch with the president or the Pentagon --

HANNITY: Absolutely.

GINGRICH: -- or whatever.

HANNITY: That's important.

GINGRICH: But you do not need to have a personal jet to run around. And in fact, I think that's fundamentally wrong because it distances a member of the House of Representatives from the public they serve.
  20. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The pilots have to fly on a regular basis and complete certain specific tasks to legally operate an aircraft, that may have been a factor. Even in a little puddle-jumping Cessna flown for fun the pilot must have completed 3 takeoffs and 3 landings in the past 90 days or he can't carry passengers at all. That's a federal law that the NJ State police can't violate anymore than anyone else. While there are simulators that are sophisticated enough to meet those needs, its more economical for the pilots to complete the required flying tasks while on actual missions mostly and only occasionally go up for training purposes. So this could have been a 'run the boss around while we complete some training' type flight. Not real likely though.

One thing worth mentioning is that jet engines are what's called 'cycle limited' a cycle is whenever an engine is started and then stopped. It doesn't matter how long it runs. Every cycle moves the engine closer to some pretty hefty maintenance fees. So just shutting both of them off while Christie got out probably cost the taxpayers a couple of grand.