PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostowski support thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChockBlkr

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I've been seeing alot of Gostowski-bashing lately and thought the kid could use a little positive feedback from the fans for a change. So he's missed 3 field goals, 2 were blocked maybe partly due to his kicking, and one was a 48 yarder. I know alot of posters here want to compare him to
adam, so lets do it. Vinatieri is obviously a clutch kicker, but you can't be clutch when your not on the field. He's missed 2 games so far this year. He's obviously not the same guy he was in years past and he didn't even want to be here. In adams rookie year he was only 9 of 16 from 40+ yds and ended the year with only a 77% fgp and missed 3 extra points. The snow bowl was a classic but AV wasn't always a sure thing in the playoffs. His super bowl stats are 4 of 6 with one kickoff returned for a touchdown and it would have been 2 if not for OTIS' saving tackle on the first kickoff of SB 36.
He wasn't perfect, and neither is Gostowski. But all I've seen is him trying to get better, and that has earned him at least my support. Hope to hear more positive feedback on him.

Personally, I'm satisfied with the way Gostkowski has done so far with this team - say what you want about his kicking on the blocked field goals - they might have been a little low, but Belichick also said that there was a breakdown in protection on at least one of them. His kick offs have been magnificent, and i think he is handling the pressure of "being the next adam" very well so far. I also like the fact that he's not afraid to mix it up - anyone else remember his tackle on a kick off? i can't remember which game it was in.

I choose to show my support by spelling Gostkowski correctly.

patsox23 said:
I choose to show my support by spelling Gostkowski correctly.

I didn't know you were the resident spell-checker, you must be kept pretty busy. Anyway, I'm sure Gostkowski would appreciate any and all support he can get.

ChockBlkr said:
I didn't know you were the resident spell-checker, you must be kept pretty busy. Anyway, I'm sure Gostkowski would appreciate any and all support he can get.

The proper spelling is S-h-a-n-k-s-k-o-w-s-k-i...

Last edited:
I agree...way too much criticism for a rookie kicker..it will take time too many nervous chicken littles...

Pats726 said:
I agree...way too much criticism for a rookie kicker..it will take time too many nervous chicken littles...

He seems like a real nice kid and he's from the South, so he can't be all bad!

He just can't make a kick and that's kind of what he gets paid for, right?

I suppose he'll come around, sooner or later, I guess. I just hope he doesn't cost us a big game along the way!

Last edited:
Gostkowski will be a good Kicker!!!!

F0nSY said:

No.... Gostkowski IS a good kicker.

His overall work as a professional kicker is 12 for 13 with two blocks in Field Goals and 15 for 15 in PATs. League leading distance on KOs and no KORs for a TD.

It includes one TD saving tackle indicating he can hold his a own as a "football player" and athlete; he has demonstrated he is truly become the eleventh tackler on the KO Team like Adam Vinatieri did before him.

Sign me up for Gostkowski support. Too early to panic.

When you merge the preseason results and share some of the blame with the ST protection his results have been good. IMO.

he hasn't cost us a single game...and he's a rookie...and we're still all over the kid already.

kicking is ALL about confidence...they'll tell you they block it out, but the reality is that negative press tends to reinforce negative performance (even kills veterans).

the media has been waiting for an excuse to release all these Adam Vinatieri stories they had written up months ago.

you had to be afraid of this -- we're our own worst enemy.

he came back in Cincy with a FG that literally bisected the uprights so he seems to have some mental toughness...but we're definitely not helping.

Last edited:
the taildragger said:
he hasn't cost us a single game...and he's a rookie...and we're still all over the kid already.

kicking is ALL about confidence...

Well, I don't think anyone can say he didn't cost us the Denver game. He probably didn't, but we'll never know. If we had tied up that game 3-3, who knows how it ends. Heck, if Belichick had more confidence in his kicker, he probably would have let him try the 50 yarder in the first quarter, but instead we gave it over on downs and Denver scored a FG going the other way.

More fundamentally, kicking really matters in the National Parity League. Points mean options. Leads -- even small ones -- force the opposition into making mistakes and pressing. Kicking is all about confidence and if our kicker doesn't get some soon, it's going to hurt us, both direclty and indirectly.

I want this guy to succeed as much as the next guy, but we only get so many seasons with Brady and only so many years with a championship caliber team. This isn't a year for a big experiment. In my view, he has 2 strikes, and if he gets a 3d, it doesn't really matter how good he's eventually going to become.

His kickoffs are great, though.

PatsFaninAZ said:
Well, I don't think anyone can say he didn't cost us the Denver game. He probably didn't, but we'll never know. If we had tied up that game 3-3, who knows how it ends. Heck, if Belichick had more confidence in his kicker, he probably would have let him try the 50 yarder in the first quarter, but instead we gave it over on downs and Denver scored a FG going the other way.

More fundamentally, kicking really matters in the National Parity League. Points mean options. Leads -- even small ones -- force the opposition into making mistakes and pressing. Kicking is all about confidence and if our kicker doesn't get some soon, it's going to hurt us, both direclty and indirectly.

I want this guy to succeed as much as the next guy, but we only get so many seasons with Brady and only so many years with a championship caliber team. This isn't a year for a big experiment. In my view, he has 2 strikes, and if he gets a 3d, it doesn't really matter how good he's eventually going to become.

His kickoffs are great, though.

the problem is that -- as I have argued before -- bringing in a veteran to replace a legend could easily be worse than what we've got now.

if you want him to succeed, then join me in bashing people like Felger who are calling for a replacement at this point.

give da kid a break

F0nSY said:

jeez, stay off him. looks to me like he can be a really good kicker.
will he ever be a vinatieri? course not. IMO, nobody was that good BEFORE AV.
but it seems he's got a strong leg, and if he keeps his CONFIDENCE up, he's make some FGs that were out of vinatieri's range. the ones BB didn't bother to try.
will he line-drive one thru the goalposts, blizzard conditions, no sweat (pardon), everything on the line, playoff situation, for the win or the loss, :04 left?
i wouldn't expect it.
ya only get that once in a lifetime of fanhood anyway.
but when gostowski comes, out, as it is right now, i think we'll have a decent chance. better than parcells will have with that a__hole he signed.

I think he'll be ok but I'm concerned that he'll start putting added pressure on himself. I hope the fans don't boo him if he shanks one, I know it would be hard but they should cheer loudly for him no matter what- kicking him when he's down will not help him improve (no pun intended).

It would be a class act if AV called and related his first year troubles but I won't hold my breath waiting for that.:D

Brick said:
It would be a class act if AV called and related his first year troubles but I won't hold my breath waiting for that.:D

AV has a block on all incoming and outgoing (508) & (617) phone calls.

He deserves a chance to succeed. He is a rookie. Rookies make mistakes.

I am just hoping that he keeps his head, stays focused and doesn't get down on himself.

Lockdown06 said:
Personally, I'm satisfied with the way Gostkowski has done so far with this team - say what you want about his kicking on the blocked field goals - they might have been a little low, but Belichick also said that there was a breakdown in protection on at least one of them. His kick offs have been magnificent, and i think he is handling the pressure of "being the next adam" very well so far. I also like the fact that he's not afraid to mix it up - anyone else remember his tackle on a kick off? i can't remember which game it was in.
Just to keep playing my broken record ;), there were protection breakdowns on both blocked kicks - too bad I am unable to pull up tape on his shank (a curse on my French-owned power company executives, may they be forced to bathe with unscented soap) still, 'shank' happens.

I like the kid. I'm willing to be patient. He's got incredible raw tools. This time last year he was studying for finals.

Chad Jackson hasn't been any more or less disappointing, and I'm still confident we have a pro-bowl player in the making on that front. Gost's leg is much bigger than AV.

Even with his early struggles, Gost's still outperforming Vinatieri so far this year. Gostkowski's best days are ahead of him, and he'll be a hero for this team, yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back