PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostkowski will be able to replace Adam Vinatieri?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

• Yes

Votes: 57 91.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

F0nSY

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score

Who is this Vinatieri person people keep talking about? I'm not aware of such a person.

No, he won't but that's not a knock on him at all. That's like asking if Jarvis Green could replace Seymour. They're both good players but not near as good as the player that they're replacing. I think he's going to step in and be an adequate kicker and that's really all we need.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he can replace Adam. He is the rook (as AV once was) replacing the veteran (didn't Parcels replace Matt Bahr with AV?). He was the highest rated kicker coming out of college. AV was very good (not great), especially under pressure (when he was great). So far the rook has been the same. Of course, he hasn't had the same situations, but I think the rest of the team's confidence (in themselves and in him) will rub off on him, just as it surely must have on AV. It will be exciting to see how he does (unless of course he starts shanking everything!).

I assume the stipulation here is that this poll question essentially translates to: "Obviously no one can expect him to TOTALLY replace AV, to come through in the clutch over and over, but Gostkowski can be a good, solid kicker for the Pats." On that basis, I voted yes.

Unless we need him to make a 47 yard kick in a blizzard I'm not too worried about it. It's not like AV never missed a kick, and it's not like Gostkowski will never miss a kick, he just has to hit over 80% of them and not be one of those guys who we cringe whenever he lines up (Missin Sisson anyone?) He's already better at kickoffs than AV.

Last edited:
I'm going with "eventually"... though it's hard to argue with Husker's logic.

I don't know what the report was on Adam's first few pre-season games in his rookie season? Anyone? I'll take a chance and say Gost is equal to it.

As far as replacing Adam's record, only years and time will tell, I'm kinda hoping we won't be put in a good kick or loose situation anytime soon!

It seems that the things we know them too clearly. Gostkowski will replace to Vinatieri with result

Last edited:
F0nSY said:

Replace? I don't think you replace a guy who delivered the margin of victory in three SB's. In that sense, I don't look for Gostkowski to "replace" AV. However, as a rookie, I do expect him to be more than solid day by day.

But what will he do when there's a blizzard and he has two kicks to send us to the SB or when there's no time on the clock and the Lombardi is on the line? We can't know but can only hope.

He already has.

Vinatieri was the kicker last year. He left. Gostkowski came in. Gostkowski is the kicker now. Vinatieri has been replaced with Gostkowski.

brady2brown said:
He already has.

Vinatieri was the kicker last year. He left. Gostkowski came in. Gostkowski is the kicker now. Vinatieri has been replaced with Gostkowski.

Now thats a good no b/s response!

huskeralk said:
No, he won't but that's not a knock on him at all. That's like asking if Jarvis Green could replace Seymour. They're both good players but not near as good as the player that they're replacing. I think he's going to step in and be an adequate kicker and that's really all we need.

I agree with this. I think he will be good even if he doesnt kick as well as AV did.

brady2brown said:
He already has.

Ahhhh, clear answer, BB is that you????:p

PatsChick87 said:
Ahhhh, clear answer, BB is that you????:p
Yes, that was a BB answer but just like in his press conferences, that wasn't exactly the question that was being asked.

huskeralk said:

I think this is a good assessment. I voted Yes ....because I think Ghost will be able to step in and make the same....or close to the same amount of FG tries that Adam made last year.......Now....if you ask will Ghost be able to make the CLUTCH kicks that Adam has made for this team with such consistency? ....only time will tell on that one.....Adam (despite being a leacherous traitor) was one of, if not THE greatest clutch kickers of all time......one man's opinion.....Ghost will be fine!!!

GO PATS

First of all, Gostkowski's nickname is GOTTI, according to the Globe today. Live it, learn it, love it.

Of course he'll be able to replace Vinatieri. AV was maybe in the 80th percentile in terms of kicker quality. Good, but not great. Made a couple clutch kicks, but missed some big ones (Super Bowl vs. Carolina, last year in Denver) as well. He gets too much credit in Boston.

sieglo said:
First of all, Gostkowski's nickname is GOTTI, according to the Globe today. Live it, learn it, love it.

Of course he'll be able to replace Vinatieri. AV was maybe in the 80th percentile in terms of kicker quality. Good, but not great. Made a couple clutch kicks, but missed some big ones (Super Bowl vs. Carolina, last year in Denver) as well. He gets too much credit in Boston.
I won't love it and I don't have to love it. I have my nickname picked out already.

I wish the media fixation with Gostkowski didn't exist -- wishful thinking I know. Though he did just win the job -- though Vrabel put it nicely (Mike again proving why he's the most consistently underrated leader/player of this dynasty -- definitely feelin' that "leadership void" by the great leadership skills of Willie McGinest -- don't get me started on that tangent).

anyway, the rookie sounds so cool...more like a baseball player.

Most kickers (including #4) usually strike me as being too wordy and reactive in interviews. This guy sounds half asleep -- which I read as a sign of uncanny confidence (as does our QB -- who had a similar rookie demeanor).

he's the perfect replacement but Kirwan's piece nailed it..."if the fans are patient" -- that's my only concern (though less so with the rook than with MG). Miller's obviously a key asset in his development and deserves our respect for the way he's taken him under his wing. He has the tools and the team/coaching support...it's BOSTON that scares me.

I wouldn't mind if he got a few misses out of his system now, but he keeps effortlessly nailing them right down the center...if we lose a game by 3 points after a missed FG, we can't blame this kid (unless it's a chip shot)...I hope we've learned enough about the game in this region to understand the game is won or lost for many reasons other than a last second kick.

as the Outsiders put it, what if Adam makes the chip shot in the first quarter of the SB?...then we win comfortably...no last minute drive required.

I guess I'm just sayin, let's bear with him this season -- he already looks much better going into his first year than Adam did coming out of South Dakota NFL-Europe.

if, not when, he misses, let's feel bad WITH him, not AT him.

Scoring points will not be a problem in '06. Gaining a net 30 yards of average field position (+15 for defense and corresponding +15 for offense) shouldn't hurt either.

...when, not if, he misses...duh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back