PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gostkowski extended through 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrible move. Too much $$ for an overrated K. Should have given that all to Mankins.

Terrible move. Too much $$ for an overrated K. Should have given that all to Mankins.

Obviously Kickers who can change field position and give you consistent field goals have little value on a football team... :rolleyes:

You mean "liquored-up idiot kicker". I think that was the original quote by goober. :rolleyes:

You have to give props to the forehead for that one, classic quote.

Who's Ghost's agent?
He obviously doesn't know how to do this right. Shouldn't Gostkowski be stomping his feet and insulting Kraft and holding out of TC.

FWIW, this deal makes him the highest-paid kicker for any competently-managed franchise. [I'm sorry, when you have to overpay your kicker and your punter to keep them in town. . . .]

Last edited:
And eff you Mankins for not! :mad:

Based on the dollars it certainly is easier to sign Gost than LM but it's the way it was done and the value the Pats have for Gost that made it happen.

Obviously the value-to-dollars comitted is not in alignment for LM and the Pats.

He should be making anything in the 40's with the money he gets.

Still totally not worth extending this guy. Your only as good as your you are in the playoffs (see: Chargers kicker...best in regular reason, post-season choke) and the only big post-season kick he's made was an early one against the Chargers.

He should be making anything in the 40's with the money he gets.

Still totally not worth extending this guy. Your only as good as your you are in the playoffs (see: Chargers kicker...best in regular reason, post-season choke) and the only big post-season kick he's made was an early one against the Chargers.

There isn't a kicker in NFL history who's automatic from 47 yards. Maybe you should stop posting for a little while and try to think things over a bit

There isn't a kicker in NFL history who's automatic from 47 yards. Maybe you should stop posting for a little while and try to think things over a bit

You might have been more accurate stopping a bit earlier. ;)

Well, his name is Pessimistic Pete :rolleyes:

I agree he is not clutch. it goes back to Belichck not going to him to close it on the superbowl and he has had a mental block ever since. Until he hits a big game winner he is going to keep missing pressure field goals.

I'm happy for him and as far as I can see, he deserves it. But looking ahead, I'll be happy when he starts making most of the two kicks he missed today, because, at some point, we're going to need him to make kicks like that with everything on the line.

It was lost in all the press about the blowout, but I still have this image of Gostkowski missing a no-pressure FG during last year's loss in the Superdome from the same spot on the same field towards the same endzone from which Adam won SB XXXVI.

Agreed 100% on the "automatic from 47 yards." It's unreasonable to expect a kicker to make every one of those kicks; and the stats bear that out!

But the difference between a good or very good kicker and a great kicker is making kicks that no one "expects" you to make, the kicks that are not "automatic," as you put it.

No one reasonably expected Adam to make the 45 yard line drive into a blowing snowstorm that tied the Snowbowl (that's why it's regarded even by haters as the greatest clutch kick in the history of the NFL) and no one "expected" him to make a 48 yarder in the Superdome (from the same spot from which Ghost missed a FG last year during our loss to the Saints) to win SB XXXVI. But he made both of them and, they will be the reason why he goes to Canton. If he'd missed either of them, no one would have said he was a "bad" kicker or that he hadn't "done his job," they just wouldn't call him "great."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back