Not open for further replies.

italian pat patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
what was yr reaction after it ?

sorry if you have allready 'touched this matter' before

I might have been a little on the low side but bottom line is that if the blocking had held up it probably wouldn't have been blocked.

Really it didn't matter either way though it's definitely not as bad as it could have been.

I really can't say what my reaction was on this message board. :D It was flatout a bad kick that was low enough that a LB barely had to jump to block. I'm not going to hold it against the kid this ealy in the season though.

Gotskowski had a good training camp and a good pre-season too as we know.

this is the first 'negative' play he has done.

anyway kicker is really a 'not easy role' but if i have to be honest i was a little bit demoralized after it

i would have really loved 3 points in that particular moment

anyway...

i think he will do well for us

the best part about that play was the bounce the ball took after the block, it went towards the jets endzone. it gave them worse field position, and it made them have to move the ball about 15-20 more extra yards. i was happy about that but nervous because of the circumstances.

I still have compete confidence that this guy is going to be a very good kicker.

The consensus by the talking heads was that the kick was too low and it was mainly Gostkowski's fault. Not sure if it was a fluke, or if the Jets were studying a problem with his mechanics (ala BB against Pittsburgh in '01) and went for it at the right time. If it is the latter, then the Jets did us a favor as BB can correct it and it did not cost us the game.

The talking heads are wrong. The kick was on the low side, but if the line had done its job, it wouldn't have been blocked. They allowed serious penetration straight up the middle, AND allowed Vilma (and I think Bryan Thomas) to get high into the air without repurcussion after they busted through. I've watched the replay at least 2 dozen times now, and there's no way I'll blame the block on Gostkowski.

Gost will be fine. IIRC, Adam V had some kicking issues the first few games of '96, and was starting to be thought of as the next Scott Sisson. He settled in and the rest is history. No big deal.

LuRkeR1978 said:
Gost will be fine. IIRC, Adam V had some kicking issues the first few games of '96, and was starting to be thought of as the next Scott Sisson. He settled in and the rest is history. No big deal.

If memory serves me well, wasn't AV close to getting cut in his rookie season before his breakout game against I think it was the Cardinals?

Anyone remember the particulars?

The kick may have been a little low---but the line caved in pretty bad. If the line would have done a half decent job it wouldn't have happened. They will get the problem fixed, good thing it wasn't a game winning FG!

He problably figured it would be a chipshot for 20 or so yards...not much more then an extra point. Low kick, and it was blocked. It gave the Jets a chance...yes. But deep in their own territory with no timeouts and little time remaining thanks to the clock killing.

My initial reaction was disbelief and then a sort of," Oh no, the media will have a field day with this."

Today, I see it as a valuable learning experience for a promising rookie.

My reaction was: Gotta make that kick.

Things like playoff byes, home field advantage, and ultimately championships hang on moments like that, even in week two. Division opponent, road, leading the whole game, chance to win = must make kick.

Gost got dealt a bad hand for his first pressure situation. Bad timing and bad blocking.

Still, gotta make the kick.

Doesn't mean he won't be a great kicker. Hopefully it won't hurt his confidence. In the end, no harm no foul. Let's see how he does next time in a pressure situation. Anyone can miss one or two in a tough spot. Heck Vinatieri missed two in a superbowl once. Made the one that counted. Let's hope Gost does the same next time he gets his chance.

Richter said:
The talking heads are wrong. The kick was on the low side, but if the line had done its job, it wouldn't have been blocked. They allowed serious penetration straight up the middle, AND allowed Vilma (and I think Bryan Thomas) to get high into the air without repurcussion after they busted through. I've watched the replay at least 2 dozen times now, and there's no way I'll blame the block on Gostkowski.

I know this standard interp, of course. Kicker was low.
Have NEVER bought it.

Have seen many a kicker hang his head in shame after a block.
But still think the K usually is
not guilty.

I watched the replay frame by frame on 61" HDTV. I initially thought the kick was blocked by an LB jumping high behind the line but then realized it was caused by a different LB (Vilma) penetrating through the right side of the line unblocked and diving across the path of the ball. That is not the kicker's fault.

PromisedLand said:
I watched the replay frame by frame on 61" HDTV. I initially thought the kick was blocked by an LB jumping high behind the line but then realized it was caused by a different LB (Vilma) penetrating through the right side of the line unblocked and diving across the path of the ball. That is not the kicker's fault.

That analysis is congruent with what BB said about the need to improve the blocking on kicks.

Promisedland, Richter. I am in awe of your diligence -- thank you for the information. (Why I love this board, No. 153 ...)

I hope you guys are right and this was the line's fault as that does not scare me like the possibility that we have a choker for a kicker does. I can't remember Adam's first year but I also can't remember the last time he had a 29 yarder blocked. This was the closest thing to a pressure situation for Gost and it was a failure. I'll be holding my breath with every pressure kick until this kid shows something when it counts.

brady et al fan said:
I hope you guys are right and this was the line's fault as that does not scare me like the possibility that we have a choker for a kicker does. I can't remember Adam's first year but I also can't remember the last time he had a 29 yarder blocked. This was the closest thing to a pressure situation for Gost and it was a failure. I'll be holding my breath with every pressure kick until this kid shows something when it counts.

This is a good point; if you'll be holding your breath imagine how Gostkowski will be feeling. The next kick is crucial, and will be a measure of him.
I used to be a goalkicker in rugby, and everytime you miss one badly the next kick is murderous.

The posts seem twice as far away as they actually are; the angle more acute (in rugby you kick from all over the field rather than just the middle) and the posts seem much closer together. All that without the added distraction of 70,000 plus people in the crowd and the fact that your career and livelihood depends on making it.

Part of me hopes that he ends the first drive of the Denver game by nailing one from 45 yards, and then that was his last kick. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes