PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gost only 80% this year for FGs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read the entire thread, but Vinatieri completed 80% or LESS of his FGs in eight different seasons.

Also to Vinatieri's "clutchness", people forget he single handily lost several games either in 1999 or 2000 where he missed last second field goals that would have won or tied the game. He wasn't always clutch.

Gostkowski is having a down year, but most kickers have bad years even the best ones. It is one of the streakiest positions in football.

....not to mentioned two failed attempts in SB 38.

This whole subject really shows how some of the younger fans have a Disney Channel view of history sometimes.

Everyone remembers 2001 - - and I love Vinny for that. Funny how everyone forgets who literally won the first Jets game 5 weeks ago with a 43 yarder to tie with no left in regulation and then the winning points on a 48 yarder in OT.

Not clutch at all.

Folks, Evolution happened. Man DID walk on the moon - - it wasn't a TV studio. Gostkowski's percentages are better than Vinatieri's.

Last edited:
....not to mentioned two failed attempts in SB 38.

This whole subject really shows how some of the younger fans have a Disney Channel view of history sometimes.

Everyone remembers 2001 - - and I love Vinny for that. Funny how everyone forgets who literally won the first Jets game 5 weeks ago with a 43 yarder to tie with no time on the clock and then a 48 yarder to win go ahead in OT.

Not clutch at all.

The problem is the media has turned Vinatieri into some kind of immortal figure who never missed a crucial kick in his career. I don't blame the younger fans for that. They have been spoon fed that stuff. You ask the media and if Vinatieri had to kick 100 clutch, game winning field goals to win big playoff games; he would kick it through the uprights 150 times. He is that good.

Gostkowski has been everything we have hoped for and more for most of his career here. Remember Felger saying that the kicker who replaced Vinatieri had no chance to make it here because of his shadow and it would be the guy after that who had a chance to succeed. Well, Gostkowski exceeded as a rookie right after Vinatieri left.

And you are right, if Vinatieri didn't miss two field goals and screw up a kick off at the end of the first half, he would never had been in position to kick the game winning FG in the last seconds of Super Bowl 38. The Pats probably win that game by more than a TD.

Last edited:
The problem is the media has turned Vinatieri into some kind of immortal figure who never missed a crucial kick in his career. I don't blame the younger fans for that. They have been spoon fed that stuff. You ask the media and if Vinatieri had to kick 100 clutch, game winning field goals to win big playoff games; he would kick it through the uprights 150 times. He is that good.

Gostkowski has been everything we have hoped for and more for most of his career here. Remember Felger saying that the kicker who replaced Vinatieri had no chance to make it here because of his shadow and it would be the guy after that who had a chance to succeed. Well, Gostkowski exceeded as a rookie right after Vinatieri left.

And you are right, if Vinatieri didn't miss two field goals and screw up a kick off at the end of the first half, he would never had been in position to kick the game winning FG in the last seconds of Super Bowl 38. The Pats probably win that game by more than a TD.

To be fair, one of those FG attempts was a block. The other failed attempt was an inexcusable 31 yard dome chip shot miss.

Last edited:
Seems like bringing Vinatieri into the discussion is apples and oranges. He is a great kicker because of his snow kicks and delivering twice in the highest pressure circumstance for his profession. The end. If he hadn't done those things he goes down in history as a slightly above average kicker. That's it. If and when Gostowski does those things he can get away with missing a kick every other game. So far he's been goid in the postseason. Let's hope it stays that way.

But Vinatieri doesn't have much to do with whether Gostowski is best for this team going forward. He is having a down year. Let's see how he comes out of it. He needs to make a few 40 to 49 yarders in a row.

I haven't read the entire thread, but Vinatieri completed 80% or LESS of his FGs in eight different seasons.

Also to Vinatieri's "clutchness", people forget he single handily lost several games either in 1999 or 2000 where he missed last second field goals that would have won or tied the game. He wasn't always clutch.

Gostkowski is having a down year, but most kickers have bad years even the best ones. It is one of the streakiest positions in football.

Vinatieri - and really all players in all sports - are overrated in "the clutch." Statistical studies had proven this out.

Interesting historical note re: AV's clutchness: If Vinatieri hadn't choked vs. the Bills in Week 16 back in 1999 the Pats would have made the playoffs, Carroll would not have been fired that year and BB probably never would have become HC of the NEP. He went 1/4 that day and almost positive he missed a potential game winner in OT or regulation. (Couldn't find game log)

Remember Felger saying that the kicker who replaced Vinatieri had no chance to make it here because of his shadow and it would be the guy after that who had a chance to succeed. Well, Gostkowski exceeded as a rookie right after Vinatieri left.

Honestly, no offense or anything but I don't understand why you guys listen to that show lol. Felger is a douche and Mazz is a cynical *******.

Interesting historical note re: AV's clutchness: If Vinatieri hadn't choked vs. the Bills in Week 16 back in 1999 the Pats would have made the playoffs, Carroll would not have been fired that year and BB probably never would have become HC of the NEP. He went 1/4 that day and almost positive he missed a potential game winner in OT or regulation. (Couldn't find game log)

Can't find the play-by-play, but here's the boxscore:

Buffalo Bills at New England Patriots - December 26th, 1999 - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Vinatieri - and really all players in all sports - are overrated in "the clutch." Statistical studies had proven this out.

This makes him even more clutch!

He missed one against the Chiefs earlier in the season that would've made us 5-0. Then the next week we blew a 17 or 21 point lead against Miami minus Marino and with Damon Huard. Could've easily been 8-0 midway through that year but were 6-2 instead then collapsed over the 2nd half. I highly doubt Carroll would've been fired after another playoff appearance, maybe a high seed as well.

Agreed. Ghost has no confidence. Team probably has even less in him.

That's why they've let him take ones from over 45+ yards away. Because they have no confidence in him.

Seriously people. If they had no confidence in Gostkowski, he'd be GONE. He's not. And you know why? Because BB does have confidence in him. Because Gostkowski hits over 84% of his FG attempts.

What people exaggerate are the misses. I think that Gostkowski's misses have cost the Pats 3 games since he got here. Maybe.. And anyone blaming the Arizona game on that miss and not the horrible officiating needs their heads examined.

If he wasn't being paid among the top kickers in the league there'd be nothing to fret about. An average to below average kicker, which he's been the last 2 seasons, making average money, would be totally fine. The problem is you pay a guy elite money you expect better than what he's been putting out the last few seasons.

Maybe people should stop quoting his cap figure and talk about his actual salary, which is only 2.1M.

Gostkowski did fine last year. In fact, it was better than the two previous years. Yes, he's off a bit this year, but his kick-offs are doing great. He's already got more TBs this year than last year. And the return yardage by opponents is down in comparison to last year. Yet, all we get is whining out of people about his "salary" and "his cap hit". Guys, the Pats are actually sitting flush right now in money. Let's worry about things that matter more. Like having enough healthy receivers and O-linemen.

I posted this in the other thread and it's relevant here as well..

Yes, he has 6 misses on FGs. He's 8 of 10 from 30-39 yards and 7 of 11 from 40-49 yards..

Let's recap those misses:
42 yard FG against Arizona
49 yard FG against Buffalo
42 yard FG against Buffalo
36 yard FG against Indy
39 yard FG against the Jets.
49 yard FG against Miami.

I think everyone has pretty much agreed that 49 yarders are not gimmees by any stretch of the imagination. So, all you people are making a fuss over 4 missed FGs. Of which, only 1 of them would have had any bearing on the result of the game..

Think about that for awhile..

I posted this in the other thread and it's relevant here as well..

Yes, he has 6 misses on FGs. He's 8 of 10 from 30-39 yards and 7 of 11 from 40-49 yards..

Let's recap those misses:
42 yard FG against Arizona
49 yard FG against Buffalo
42 yard FG against Buffalo
36 yard FG against Indy
39 yard FG against the Jets.
49 yard FG against Miami.

I think everyone has pretty much agreed that 49 yarders are not gimmees by any stretch of the imagination. So, all you people are making a fuss over 4 missed FGs. Of which, only 1 of them would have had any bearing on the result of the game..

Think about that for awhile..

Certainly none of those are 31 yard chip shots indoors in a Super Bowl.

Maybe people should stop quoting his cap figure and talk about his actual salary, which is only 2.1M.

Gostkowski did fine last year. In fact, it was better than the two previous years. Yes, he's off a bit this year, but his kick-offs are doing great. He's already got more TBs this year than last year. And the return yardage by opponents is down in comparison to last year. Yet, all we get is whining out of people about his "salary" and "his cap hit". Guys, the Pats are actually sitting flush right now in money. Let's worry about things that matter more. Like having enough healthy receivers and O-linemen.

Well that cap hit is sure to increase isn't it? Yes he did do fine last year but there was still half the kickers in the league that did better. This year 2/3rd of the kickers are doing better. And btw the dome factor hardly matters here because the top 9 in FG% this year are all playing for outdoor teams. When I pay a guy as an elite at his position I don't want to see consecutive seasons of his name that low on a list. That doesn't mean I'm "whining". As has been brought up, kickers are getting better by the year, and kicking in the low 80's is okay but it will usually get you in the lower half of the list nowadays. Standards are higher and Ghost's should be higher as well especially given his salary. One average to bad year is okay but consecutive is somewhat worrisome.

When Ghost kicked that Chip Shot FG Suday, saw a shot of Tom Brady who looked *relieved*. In the days of Adam Vinatieri Brady looked *confident*...things that make you go hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back