PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gost only 80% this year for FGs

Status
Not open for further replies.
How bad was the miss today? Didn't see the game.

It was a 49 yarder that he pushed too far to the right.

Honestly I think anything over 45 yards I can handle and for the most part while he's had some bad kicks this year I don't think I'd want a different kicker at this point.

He's not having a great year but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. I guess people need something to fret about.

Except the first one wasn't even close,

Do we cut him any slack for the fact it was a 49 yarder? That's hardly automatic for anyone in this league.

He's 84.43% coming into the year. So while not one of his better years really not that far off course.

Well, that's two or three field goals for the year. Plus, if you throw out his poor rookie year and his injury year, he is higher.

In any event, I think the best way to judge kickers is looking at 30-49 stats. That's where you make your money. You need to make most of those. Prior to this year, Gost was 19 misses and 84 makes. If you take out his rookie year, he was 14 misses and 75 makes.

This year, 6 misses and 15 makes. That's a big difference. To compare to his career attempts prior to this year, that would equate to 33.6 misses for 84 makes -- not so far from twice as many as he actually had.

Edit: changed the numbers. I shorted him one.

Last edited:
He's not having a great year but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. I guess people need something to fret about.

If he wasn't being paid among the top kickers in the league there'd be nothing to fret about. An average to below average kicker, which he's been the last 2 seasons, making average money, would be totally fine. The problem is you pay a guy elite money you expect better than what he's been putting out the last few seasons.

The problem with guys off the street like Graham is that they're horrible at kicking off.

is this really an issue with the kickoff being moved up 10 yds?

Just like the replacement refs did in Baltimore.

Would have been funny, except wasn't the controversial call on the Raven kicker's FG? Admitedly, I've blocked out the game, but that's what I recall.

Would have been funny, except wasn't the controversial call on the Raven kicker's FG? Admitedly, I've blocked out the game, but that's what I recall.

You're recalling last years playoff game, he's talking about this years replacement refs game when they called a kick that looked good no good.

You're recalling last years playoff game, he's talking about this years replacement refs game when they called a kick that looked good no good.

No the controversial kick was on the Ravens kicker. The refs called his FG, that went over the top of the upright, good.

In any instance as long as Gost is not missing a game winner in the playoffs, I have no problem with him missing a couple of kicks during the regular season.

No the controversial kick was on the Ravens kicker. The refs called his FG, that went over the top of the upright, good.

In any instance as long as Gost is not missing a game winner in the playoffs, I have no problem with him missing a couple of kicks during the regular season.

That's right. Not sure what I was thinking of.

Anyway I agree, every kicker is going to have their fair share of misses, some years are better than others but he's only missed 6 kicks. He's kicked for 122 points and is on pace for 160+ and people want to bring in some guy off the street. I think people are unrealistically expecting perfection.

I like him very much. I also don't trust him.

I think that it is really this simple.

If he wasn't being paid among the top kickers in the league there'd be nothing to fret about. An average to below average kicker, which he's been the last 2 seasons, making average money, would be totally fine. The problem is you pay a guy elite money you expect better than what he's been putting out the last few seasons.

You can always pick up a kicker that hits 90% constantly, that's why you never see teams lose game after game from bad kicks, or keep picking up guys from waivers.:rolleyes:

That's right. Not sure what I was thinking of.

Anyway I agree, every kicker is going to have their fair share of misses, some years are better than others but he's only missed 6 kicks. He's kicked for 122 points and is on pace for 160+ and people want to bring in some guy off the street. I think people are unrealistically expecting perfection.

The grass is always greener
In the other fellow’s yard.
The little row
We have to hoe,
Oh boy that’s hard.
But if we all could wear
Green glasses now,
It wouldn’t be so hard
To see how green the grass is
In our own back yard.

If you remember that, you're older than dirt.

He's also 11th all time field gaol percentage and 80%, which he's at this season, would still beat every kicker who ever kicked except 27, if it was his average.

Bunch of nervous Nellies here. Every kicker has bad stretches and what shpould we do, cut him? It's not going to save money. What happens when the new kicker is worse (like every kicker but 11 in history)?

Might be time to sip a refreshing adult beverage. All kickers miss some.

He's also 11th all time field gaol percentage and 80%, which he's at this season, would still beat every kicker who ever kicked except 27, if it was his average.

it is only fair to compare Gost to the kickers of his period. When you go through the list of 27 - I'm sure you'll notice the correlation with the fact that most of them are active today.

kicking standards today far outweigh them of just 10 years ago. Multitude of reasons, I'll leave it to you to google it. Also been a lot of changes in field conditions and the penalty of the ball placement has caused less high risk kicks (hence raising %s).

Avg fg % from beyond 50:
1960s: 13.1 percent

1970s: 21.6 percent

1980s: 35.6 percent

1990s: 47.8 percent

2000s: 53.0 percent

That Arizona kick stings man. He nails that all we need to do is beat HOU and we are the no. 1 seed:mad:

The Steelers kicker is good.....

Ah the good old recency bias. Suisham was 75% last year and spent the early years of his career bouncing from the Skins and Cowboys as they took turns cutting him because he "couldn't make clutch kicks."

The truth is kicker is the position most subjected to statistical vicissitudes and pure randomness. But that doesn't fit into our need to create story lines and logic.

Remember when Vanderjagt was the most accurate kicker in NFL history?

Vinny is at 75% this year with half his games in a dome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back