PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gost is he now reliable? Opinions changed?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Average FootBall Forum Age:

• Over 20

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Over 25

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • Over 30

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Over 35

• Over 40

• Over 45

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Over 50

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Over 55

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Over 60

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Over 65+

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
After this last weekend Gostkowski nailed 4 straight 30 yard attempts; are the beginning of the year skeptics now willing to say he is a 'reliable' kicker?

Not saying pro-bowler; not saying HOF clutch kicker (but I will give season # comparison just for argument's sake below.) But can he be considered reliable?; and at the price we are paying for him as a rookie - a good investment? Especially considering the 52 yarder he hit that AV hasn't had the leg for in years.

81% is not anything to crow about; but if you throw out the 2 blocks he is pushing 90%. And he hasn't been AWOL on the IR at all during the year.

Gost: 81% on year - 17 of 21
1-19: 0-0
20-29: 8-9 (1 block)
30-39: 7-9 (1 block)
40-49: 1-2
50+: 1-1

AV 87% on year 20 of 23
1-19: 1-1
20-29: 3-3
30-39: 9-10
40-49: 7-8
50+ 0-1

He is now reliable (until he misses an important one - kidding, kidding). You can see his confidence and the confidence of BB (remember the Denver game when we were down by 10, were in long FG range and BB went for it on 4th down instead of trying the FG (we didn't get it and basically gave up the game) - if that scenario occurred today, I think there is no question that BB would go for the FG).

He's been terrific. Getting a few game winners through is pretty much the last question.

They handled him well, brought him along slowly and he seems to be responding well.. deep kicks, so far accurate on FG's.. might be ok for this team.

I think the majority of this board always supported Ghost.

I'm liking him so far. I think his recent consistency (and that 52-yd rocket) have greatly boosted his confidence. I'm glad he got more "real game" kick time in yesterday, too.

Since I was a lvocal critic earlier in the year, I will now stand up and take my lumps.

When Gostkowski comes on the field, I feel confident he'll make the kick. So, regardless of whether he actually misses or hits, the confidence thing is what I was seeking.

And he has delivered it to me.

Thanks, Gost...

Love - your biggest fan,
ADPF

I always thought this board was fairly supportive of him.

The truth is that the jury is still out. So far everything points towards him being a really good kicker. I think he has been handled well and he has stepped up to produce when asked to.

Has he kicked a game-deciding kick yet? Kickers are often judged by those and one big failure can mess with a kicker.

I'm impressed, but I feel it's too early to call him reliable. Of course it only takes a few games to be called unreliable, so he's ahead in that reguard.

In recent weeks he's done all that has been asked of him. And the big 52-yarder in the Bears game should have been a massive shot in the arm for his confidence and that of those around him.

However, Gost, like the team, has his most important moments of the season ahead of him, and I have a feeling we'll learn as much about him in the next 2 to 6 games as we have in the last 14.

But I've been a supporter all along, and will continue to be, even if he misses a trciky one here or there in the final few weeks of the season.

The playoffs are a brand new season.

The pressure in the playoffs is nothing to the pressure of kicking for team that seemed destined to make it to the playoffs right from the start of the season.

So the jury is still very much out. But that being said, Gostowski's done nothing to make anyone think that he CAN'T handle the pressure of the playoffs.

He even made a 50 yard FG a few weeks ago - a kick I really don't think AV could have made - nor would the team have even asked AV to try. That should be a boost for his confidence as well.

But it's a whole new season in the playoffs.

I hope Cassel, or somebody is working on the holds. I think laces on the side is contributing to his "hard slider".

Another thing is, he needs to shorten up his windup from 30 yds and in. He doesn't need to kill the ball, just pop it.

I never had a problem with him. You can't start out a 10 year vet.

Vinatieri was under 80% 3 of his first 4 years.

The Gost is doing quite well this year.....He has such a strong leg.....I think there is more than will ever know what the real reason for Adam departure......GO PATS!!!!!:rocker:

All in all he has done a good job. He's had three different holders this year. I think Josh Miller helped Ghostkowski with his confidencent and his holds. I think we underestimate the importance of a good holder.

The best thing about that stat is 0 for 0 inside 20 - we have been scoring touchdowns!

...and, if the two blocks get eliminated, and he continues to kick that well for 15 years, he'll could be called the best in the history of the game.

He's had a better rook season than Adam did, and with 3 different holders! His kickoffs have been pretty consistently high and deep. Overall I'd say he was a great decision.

Ghost will surprise all the naysayers

Last edited:
I've always supported him and I think he's only going to get better and better. I have confidence in him,and even if he misses a kick during the playoffs I wouldn't necessarily say he can't handle the playoffs-misses happen,even to AV. Will he be as "clutch" as AV was? Remains to be seen of course but I think he has the potential to be. AV's re-appearance in Foxboro,for instance, had to be considered a big game,at least in HIS mind but also in the fans' minds too. When AV missed the crowd went wild,and when Gost made his,ditto. That was a big moment for him,imo-maybe one of his biggest so far.
If these games come down to a final FG and he makes it for the Win (or at least OT),that will be huge for him and his confidence. If that happens,the world's his oyster. If he misses in that situation,we can complain all we want but he'll feel awful,and who knows how long he'd carry that with him-ugly scenario,not only for us fans and the team of course,but also for him,maybe even into next season. I can hear the media now...:horn:

I've got confidence in Gostowski - though I, like he, will be nervous if he needs to win the game with a kick.

Unfortunately I think you can't compare his regular season to his post season. Its a completely different animal with the pressure so much higher.

So it will be interesting to see how he does - but all indications are that we got ourselves a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back