Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Gosselin's mock 1.0

24. New England Jon Beason LB Miami

28. New England Michael Griffin S Texas

---

Interesting that he has DT Justin Harrell going at #23. This means he's valued high enough to now be considered an option at #24.

Also, this is Gosselin's first of three mocks, so he's bound to change his Pats picks in his future mocks.

FWIW, Gosselin did predict Ty Warren in his mock 1.0 but not in his later ones.

Looks like he needs to make a new one. Detriot will not be taking a RB at #2.

Interesting that he has DT Justin Harrell going at #23. This means he's valued high enough to now be considered an option at #24.
I've considered Harrell a late first option, I'm just not so sure KC would choose Harrel over an edge rusher to replace Allen. Run stuffers can still be had later, Anthony Spencer is the next quick first step pass rusher after Moss came off the board and would seem a good fit for Herm's views on defense.

I like these choices which means they will never occur. I will

be interested to see if the Pats draft any linebackers at all on day one.

This is the first year in the Bellichick era that the Pats need linebackers.

BB/Pioli inherited three good linebackers and added four others in free

agency.

He'll have to try harder next time (yes I know his track record) but Johnson is going in the top two. If the Raiders take Russel (I think they take Johnson), then Detroit takes Johnson and trades him.

Gosselin's mock 1.0

24. New England Jon Beason LB Miami

28. New England Michael Griffin S Texas

---

Also, this is Gosselin's first of three mocks, so he's bound to change his Pats picks in his future mocks.

FWIW, Gosselin did predict Ty Warren in his mock 1.0 but not in his later ones.

That's the same first round myself, and others posted for NE. I still think both players are an option, but right now I think the main options at 24-28 could be:

Revis, Houston, Griffin, Wilson, Woodley, Harris, Spencer, Harrell, Staley, Blalock. I still like Meriweather, but with the question marks and the current direction of the league I wouldn't be surprised if he falls.

Last edited:
Yow I just saw Staley at #29. I think he's going in the top 15 but he's my pick at #24 if he's there. He's my LT, Light can move to RT. OL is done.

I like the Griffin pick, though . . . and I like Beason just not as much as Staley.

Looks like he needs to make a new one. Detriot will not be taking a RB at #2.

This is Matt Millen and Detroit we are talking about. They could, very well, take Adrian Petersen. They are that dumb.

Detriot will not be taking a RB at #2.

Here's the explanation behind that pick:

A Detroit writer agrees that Peterson would be a :confused: type of pick -- so he contacted Gosselin. Gosselin said, for this mock draft, he was basically listing the players in terms of their draft status. He said there are three elite players who will go in the first three picks, in any order -- Peterson, JaMarcus Russell and Calvin Johnson. So it appears that Gosselin made his decision based strictly on the value of those top 3 players.

According to the writer, this is how it currently stands for the Lions pick:

Detroit wants to draft DE Gaines Adams, but they think #2 is too high to select him. So they'd rather trade down a few spots to get him, and acquire more picks in the process. If they remain at #2, chances are they'd take CJ or Joe Thomas.

Now regarding the Pats picks of Beason and Griffin. Once again, based on the perceived needs of teams -- he valued in the players. In his positional rankings, he has Beason as his #2 ranked OLB after Timmons, who went at #21. So he plugged in Beason at #24, filling a position of need, but also representing value (according to HIS rankings).

Griffin is ranked 4th on his Safety board, after Landry, Nelson, and Meriweather. Landry went 7th, Nelson went 18th, leaving Meriweather and Griffin to choose for the Pats. Perhaps he felt Griffin was a safer pick due to Meriweather's character concerns, or maybe he thought Griffin was a better fit. Either way, Gosselin addressed two positions of need in the first based on HIS value rankings.

Personally, I don't like the Beason pick. I'd take Staley at #24, and Griffin or Posluszny at #28. My real preference on draft day however, is to find a way of obtaining an extra day one pick to grab Josh Wilson, David Harris, or Stewart Bradley. Moving down from #28 makes the most sense for that to manifest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes