PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gosselin's Final Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for all you guys: If Watt and Jordan are both available and Pats take Jordan, how do we know if it's because they feel he's the better player or if it's due to the Condon/agent issue?

Question for all you guys: If Watt and Jordan are both available and Pats take Jordan, how do we know if it's because they feel he's the better player or if it's due to the Condon/agent issue?

Just look at the booty. JJ Watt doesn't have one, therefore i don't believe he is on Pats radar. You have to be able to sit that big thang down to take on the double team. Pats have never had a 3-4 end built like Watt.

Edit: Rob Rang on Jordan: Run defense: Stout run defender. Understands gap responsibilities in the 3-4 defense. Has the long arms to keep defenders away from his chest and the bulk to anchor.

Last edited:
Well, this is fun.

What he's saying is: there are teams desperate for quarterbacks who like the quarterbacks on offer enough to go for them in the first round.

We should know with the first pick. If Carolina really do take Newton then the rush may be on and he could be right. Still, I'd bet that several teams would hang back to see if they could pick up their guy in the late first. (Jonathan Kraft said on ESPN the other day that taking a quarterback in the first round was preferable for the extra rookie contract year, even if you might still get him in the second.) Either way it's good for the Pats -- either front seven players fall or they have very valuable commodities to trade at 17 and 28.

It is interesting .. I actually framed my mock yesterday around the idea of the Vikings grabbing Jake Locker early so they could get value in the 2nd round.. Same with Miami.. I wonder if others will follow suite with that philosophy.
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england.../13/749233-my-value-mock-surprise-inside.html

This is still good for the Pats either way and drives good players to them and gives even more value to #33

Just look at the booty. JJ Watt doesn't have one, therefore i don't believe he is on Pats radar. You have to be able to sit that big thang down to take on the double team. Pats have never had a 3-4 end built like Watt.

Edit: Rob Rang on Jordan: Run defense: Stout run defender. Understands gap responsibilities in the 3-4 defense. Has the long arms to keep defenders away from his chest and the bulk to anchor.

lmao.This is what the NFL draft is about. Self-proclaimed draft gurus analyzing guys arses.

I agree btw.

Maybe Gosselin is maybe not actually predicting Quinn at 20 or Amukamara at 25 but rather that the Bucs and the Seahawks will trade up to get them. Same thing for the QB. Maybe what he means is the Redskins and the Vikings will trade down and get those QBs.

The guy has an amazing track record. If 5 QB's go early, I see Pats doing a lot more moving down than normal.

That's why I think all the Pat's trade up talk is just a smokescreen to bluff some teams into panicking i.e San Diego or Houston etc.. to move up

That's why I think all the Pat's trade up talk is just a smokescreen to bluff some teams into panicking i.e San Diego or Houston etc.. to move up

IMO Dareus is the only player worth a move up to #6 (so contingent deal might be in place) but I agree BB and Browns are just trying to stir things up.:rocker:

Even as a Watt fan, I'll admit he's a little light in the posterior. :) But as for Pats "never having a 3-4 end built like Watt," how many of those have been in existence?

I wonder if Borges will comment on our first rounder if it ends up being a DE. (i.e. his Seymour comments from way back when). Maybe he'll bite his toungue, despite his impulses.

Even as a Watt fan, I'll admit he's a little light in the posterior. :) But as for Pats "never having a 3-4 end built like Watt," how many of those have been in existence?

There have been quite a few. I don't know, more than 5, less than 10? I don't know, both give you some pass rush, but the thing that keeps coming up in the scouting reports is that Jordan can anchor against the run and take on double teams, whereas Watt gets blown off the line by double teams. I think Watt will be an excellent player, but Jordan is just a more known commodity--a player that has excelled in the very role he will be playing in NE. Watt is more of a projection in that respect.

TENN takes Locker
WASH takes Ponder
MINN takes Dalton

Why do we presume that this will happen at 8 and 10 and 12?
Gosselin does not list his trades. Gosselin gets 2 points for matching player with team. There are no points for matching player with the slot in which they are drafted.
===========

What we might guess at are the 2-3 underlying trades. Perhaps,

1) TENN traded with SEA who picked Amukamara.
2) WASH traded with BALT who picked Watt.
3) MINN took Dalton because they really wanted Dalton and didn't want to risk not getting him.

So let's imagine that Gosselin's sources are accurate. You're sitting at 17 and Jordan, Quinn, Watt, Amukamara, Costanzo etc. are all on the board. What do you do? Personally, I'd be on the phone trying like made to trade up from 28.

Last edited:
Who's going to back up Brady at that point? Crompton? Matt Gutierez? Testaverde? It seems a big ask to get a quarterback this late in the offseason, whether by draft or free agency, and have him conversant enough in the Pats offensive system to be the primary backup in September.
You worry too much, it's not like Brady's fragile or anything.
uhh.gif

We don't.

Gosselin could easily be tipping off who is looking to trade down.

Gosselin's QB targets:

1. Panthers Cam Newton
7. 49'ers Blaine Gabbert
8. Titans Jake Locker
10. Redskins Christian Ponder
12. Vikings Andy Dalton

And from Adam Schefter:

Teams that would like to trade down -though they will keep pick for the right player - include 49ers, Cowboys, Redskins, Lions, Seahawks.

That's lots of potential trading partners...

I think it's safe to say that they weren't very high on Jordan.

Here is the whole thing

1. Panthers Cam Newton - correct
2. Broncos Von Miller - correct
3. Bills Marcell Dareus - correct
4. Bengals A.J. Green - correct
5. Cardinals Patrick Peterson - correct
6. Browns Julio Jones - correct pick, wrong team
7. 49'ers Blaine Gabbert - incorrect
8. Titans Jake Locker - correct
9. Cowboys Tyron Smith - correct
10. Redskins Christian Ponder - incorrect
11. Texans Aldon Smith - correct
12. Vikings Andy Dalton - incorrect
13. Lions Nick Fairley - correct
14. Rams Mark Ingram - incorrect
15. Dolphins Mike Pouncey - correct
16. Jaguars Ryan Kerrigan - correct pick, wrong team
17. Patriots Cameron Jordan - incorrect
18. Chargers Corey Liuget - correct
19. Giants Nate Solder - incorrect
20. Bucs Robert Quinn - incorrect
21. Chiefs Gabe Carimi - incorrect
22. Colts Anthony Castonzo - correct
23. Eagles Jimmy Smith - incorrect
24. Saints Adrian Clayborn - incorrect
25. Seahawks Prince Amukamara - incorrect
26. Ravens JJ Watt - incorrect
27. Falcons Phil Taylor - incorrect
28. Patriots Danny Watkins - incorrect
29. Bears Marvin Austin - incorrect
30. Jets Derrick Sherrod - incorrect
31. Steelers Cameron Heyward - correct
32. Packers Aaron Williams - incorrect

That is pretty crazy that he picked 16 of 32 correct. And most of them were really close. Solder ahead of Castonzo, Vikings picking a QB at 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back