Gosselin: Defensive Linemen preview...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
DL

Position strength
There could be three defensive linemen taken in the top six picks – the first time that's happened since 2001.
The end board is strong with pass rushers available into the second day. But the tackle board is paper thin.
Spotlight is on Chris Long.

Tackle board is thin: read as, people will trade up for ellis/dorsey should they make it to #7, and then again to get Balmer in the teens. We could end up in the 20's with 2 2nd's and 3 3rd's. I would love that.

I'm really loving Keilen Dykes from WVU as a Patriots mid-round pick.

DL

Spotlight is on Chris Long.

What do you think of Kentwan Balmer? Some scouts have been saying he could be one of the best 34 D-linemen prospects in the draft. Agree or disagree? Any notes on him? I've got my own, but I actually value your opinion, so I'm interested to see what you think of him.

What do you think of Kentwan Balmer? Some scouts have been saying he could be one of the best 34 D-linemen prospects in the draft. Agree or disagree? Any notes on him? I've got my own, but I actually value your opinion, so I'm interested to see what you think of him.

Haven't seen enough of him to be accurate. Just a hunch that he doesn't represent first round value for the Pats based on his career inconsistency.

His senior year was his only productive season and can't compare with the seasons of Seymour and Warren (full-sized DTs/DEs). He's listed as a DE/DT yet played DT the last two seasons. Doesn't seem to fit as a NT candidate but more likely as a DE in the Warren/Seymour role (if he even fits the 3-4 D).

By applying logic I'd say that BB wouldn't draft him as their only first round pick over more productive prospects who fill greater needs (Cason, etc). Translated, he doesn't represent value in round one.

Just my guess Seb -- sorry no serious notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes