PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gosselin article on CB Josh Wilson...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Excellent article for Wilson fans. He's my #2 ranked CB and after reading this, I might even reach a little to get him.

Sons try to follow fathers to NFL

Excerpts:

Maryland cornerback Josh Wilson is carrying more than the memory of his father in his quest for a professional football career.

Wilson is carrying his dad's trading card in his wallet and a small tattoo of his father on his chest with the inscription, "Forever In My Heart." Tim Wilson was Earl Campbell's blocking back with the Houston Oilers. He passed away of a heart attack in 1996, when Josh was 11.

"I just remember he's always with me," Wilson said. "That's the reason I got the tattoo. I wanted a way to carry it with me all the time. If somebody stole my wallet, I'd be pretty upset, because I've got something more valuable than money in there.

"Ever since that day I've taken every opportunity I've been given every day in practice. I'm just as competitive in practice as I am in games, because you never know what play is going to be your final play. You have to play every play like it's your last."

Sounds like a character player on and off the field.

He's been one of my favorite CB's for awhile now.

Excellent article for Wilson fans. He's my #2 ranked CB and after reading this, I might even reach a little to get him.

Sons try to follow fathers to NFL

Excerpts:

Good article, with one ommission (I think), I'd be shocked if DB Eric Wright of UNLV isn't the son of former 49er's DB Eric Wright. Born in 1985 in San Francisco, the pieces of the puzzle just fit TOO perfectly, they have to be related. It's even spelled the same. Eric Wright played for the 49er's from 1981-1990, came into the league the same season as Ronnie Lott I believe.

Good article, with one ommission (I think), I'd be shocked if DB Eric Wright of UNLV isn't the son of former 49er's DB Eric Wright. Born in 1985 in San Francisco, the pieces of the puzzle just fit TOO perfectly, they have to be related. It's even spelled the same. Eric Wright played for the 49er's from 1981-1990, came into the league the same season as Ronnie Lott I believe.

This will come as a terrible surprise to his father, Talim Wright. :)

You know what's weird to me? That everything said about Josh Wilson always harps on his size. He's a smurf, if he were two inches taller he'd be a top-20 pick, etc. etc. Then there are the players who are the incredible athletic specimens in the draft, right? But check this out:

Josh Wilson: 5'9.2" 189 lbs 4.39/2.50/1.46

Chris Houston: 5'9.7" 185 lbs 4.32/2.52/1.50

Yep, Josh Wilson and Chris Houston are the same size and speed. This isn't intended as a knock on Houston or even a broader comparison, since they're pretty different players. It's just to say that Wilson really isn't much smaller than other highly ranked CBs, so why has "smurf" attached itself so firmly to his name?

You know what's weird to me?

THAT'S a loaded question.

It's just to say that Wilson really isn't much smaller than other highly ranked CBs, so why has "smurf" attached itself so firmly to his name?

Smurfs are listed as those who are 5' 9.5" and shorter. So technically Wilson is a smurf.

Are any of you Wilson lovers (not meant sarcastically) considering him as a sleeper for #28 ? It would be a reach based on ranking but not THAT much of one - sort of like the Mankins pick; and Watson to some extent.

Are any of you Wilson lovers (not meant sarcastically) considering him as a sleeper for #28 ? It would be a reach based on ranking but not THAT much of one - sort of like the Mankins pick; and Watson to some extent.

Shhhhhh....please, certain things should be kept to ourselves.

I would take Wilson over Houston right now. So, if Houston is considered a first rounder then it's no reach to take Wilson in the first round.

Absolutely.

I know this is a crazy OT question, but since Wilson's height became a topic in this thread I have to ask. Why don't players who are short just wear lifts in their cleats to gain 3 or 4 inches in height. I don't think it would affect their speed and quickness if they are professionally done by the shoe maker at the factory.

Is it against the rules, because I have never seen it done, but always wondered why not?

Of course. Nothing to do with the fact that after Revis, he's #2 on my board. ;)

Seriously though, the question is really about BB's opinion of Wilson. There aren't many negatives about Wilson other than his size. And as far as BB is concerned, size is NOT an issue at the CB position -- never has been.

I've been saying for some time now, that the one pet position that BB knows so well is CB. He simply wants someone who can play the position the way it's meant to be played. He'll bring in players off the street who have a little bit of that CB quality he seeks. So if he wants a CB, he doesn't have to draft one first, because according to BB, there are potential gems he's aware of later on. Exactly what rounds were our top 3 CBs selected? :)

BTW, keep an eye on that CB from N. Carolina St. -- he's a good one. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey