PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gopher Fan here RE-Maroney Vids

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingvega

Rookie
Reaction score
You guys got a good one here...might take a year to add some weight or strength but he literally can take it to the house on any carry. We killed top ranked rush D of Ohio State this year (we lost the game mostly bc our d is awful). He will not be caught from behind.

Here is a link to a gopher football highlight site as you can guess #22 features prominently in most of them. The one called Thunder and Lightning is a Barber/Maroney combo vid but doesnt include this year. Also missing is this years wisky game where he had a 93 yd TD run (the way we lost the game was too painful to ever re-live I guess).

www.frales.com

Once it was clear that Dillon was seriously hurt, (I think he played through a really bad injury last year, you just drop off that much when your 29 years old) teams begane just to blitz us to death Lynch said so after the Denver game. I'v always like Maroney ( I even called him our "back of the future" in a thread last fall and was immeadiatley ridiculed for it) but he will give Corey a blow, and if Corey gets hurt, we won't be stuck without a running game. The defense, just be getting healthy, will be fine. I think tha addition of Maroney does fill the biggest need.

Thanks a lot man, GREAT STUFF, now you gotta root for the Patriots! haha :rocker:

MAN, I feel a LOT better about this pick now that I've seen Maroney run past/over three first rounders (Hawk, Whitner, Carpenter)

hey i have a question..waht can you say about his potential in NFL? Many say hes product of system as was Barber..and Russel this year. You use a zone blocking scheme i believe and dont all RBs pretty mcuh do pretty good? How can you tell me hes more than just part of the system?

I am gonna snag a Maroney pats jersey once I see one out there.

Forget anything you read that says he is a bruiser who moves the pile. Thats not his game. He is very secure with the ball and has speed to get around the corner. He is also generally known as a great team guy as evidenced by the fact he split carries his whole career and not once was it an issue for him.

The best thing I can say about him not being a system RB is that it takes some serious speed, system aside, to have as many long runs as he has had over the years. So while I agree that LoMo has had the advantage of running behind a veteran OL, no "system" to me is good enough to run all over the Big 10 defenses when they all know its coming b/c our passing game was avg at best. My NFL comparison would be Portis, can bust 80 yds run on any play but may get stuffed at the goal line in the NFL.

Speaking of Vindicated (PatsFW)

I hate to say it, guys, but as far back as a month or two ago, the guys at Patriots Football Weekly were pretty sure the Pats would go RB #1 this year, and since the Pats were always chatting up Maroney, they figured on him rather than Williams or anybody else.

Who cares - he's the BB/SP first round pick, and short of losing 7 more games last year, I don't see how they get a better RB.

Now even if Corey explodes back onto the scene, he doesn't have to haul the damn rock 30 times every time we need to run out the clock. And don't sleep on this kid on those "spell" downs, or you'll be lookin' at 6 on the board in a hurry!

Shakes tackles like Corey, has burst like Kevin - a couple years and a few more pounds, and the gene splicing experiment will be complete.

:rocker:

PFnV

holy **** im watching the Ohio State one and this is what igot to say in general for many prospects

Ashton Youboty- He got beat by #83 .. lucky Whitner saved it. #84 beat him again on a deep pass. Beat by #83 Elerson on endzone pass in corner. Gets beat again By #83 Ellserson..thank god we didnt take him..many said he gets beat al ot and they are right

Santonio Holmes- real good catch for TD..kid flies

Laurence- first carry they showed he busted through a small hole and just didnt let any buckeye touch him till the tackle was made at an angle. shows effort blocking. Maroney nearly broke off again but a teammate got pushed into him..busted a takcle near line of scrimmage to keep going. read the blocks real well..caught a ball and fough for yardage against 2-3 guys

Maroney showedm e his speed..he can find hole quickly and burst through..and about not hitting the hole..he hit it hard and fast..didnt hesistate
Ginn- a guy i really want next year just flies through on the KR and TD

Last edited:
My fave Maroney from last year
Watch the Purdue Vindicated One 2005 vid and look at how he makes this fool # 93 fall down and dive at air w/o even making a real move at between :42 and :44 secs into the video now that was PURE FEAR

Yah... now about that Russell kid (#24)... Not too shabby either!

neither was Marion Barber in 04 and hes a cowboy now..4th rounder and stepped up a bit last year. my only worry is that was it just the system?

Unfortuntaely Mr Russell doesnt like to go to class...kicked out...at a local JC trying to get his grades up and re-apply for fall:mad:

Im gonna say not system simply bc good Big 10 teams with good run defenses load up vs. the run on us and still cant stop it. Barber will be a solid backup/fringe starter for years.

The difference was many of the runs that Barber or Russell take for 30 yds, Maroney would have taken for 60. Like the run Russell had at the end of the Michigan game this year, caught from behind at the 15. LoMo has that extra gear where when he hits the seam I just say to the people sitting behind me at the games "GONE" and he is.

FreeTedWilliams said:
I'v always like Maroney ( I even called him our "back of the future" in a thread last fall and was immeadiatley ridiculed for it)
Asthe first Casselite who was ridiculed during last training camp, I hearby dub you the first Maroney-ite.

You are now entitled to be the head of the group called Maroneyites that is ridiculed every time you say Maroney is doing well and will be the back of the future.

Ellerson impressed me..what is he ? going to be a senior or junior? seems like a good possesion WR .. good hands

Graduated this, wont get drafted. Way too inconsistent and I think too slow for next level. Was actually much better his JR. year and starting losing PT this year to #84

Glad I can recruit some new Gopher fans too:D

Remix 6 said:
Ellerson impressed me..what is he ? going to be a senior or junior? seems like a good possesion WR .. good hands

I noticed the same thing. Could be a good F.A. shot for the Pats?

Same team rooks, plus they still need WRs for camp.

Hurricane here :)

As long as not a hawkeye or badger we can peacfully co-exist!

yeah..as long as your not a Seminole..well i like Seminole players but hate them! but i like their chant.

Who says this kid can't run with power? I love the way he breaks tackles and can explode into the open field. We have a new big play weapon at RB! Also, showed some toughness by coming back into the Indiana game after injuring his ankle. Very impressive. I like him!

I guess Cadillac Williams is a systems back after splitting time with Rudi Johnson & Ronnie Brown at Auburn. Don't read too much into backs sharing carries. Maroney is definately very talented, he will be a star, if used correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back