Welcome to PatsFans.com

GOP now believes you have to pay for tax cuts

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsFanInVa, Dec 5, 2011.

1. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 8 / -8

Unbelievable... after making careers out of the voodoo version of keynsianism on crack, in which "tax cuts pay for themselves," Republicans are now worried about how to "pay for" the extension of the social security tax cut.

Hey Pubbies, it pays for itself!

Whattayamean, pay for it?

It's a tax cut! It's just letting people keep their own money, right?

:rolleyes:

Of course, this is just the pubbies coming around to the conclusion that math is, in fact, important to everyday life... as long as the math has to do with little people getting no relief.

Welp, we know how to pay for it -- tax those who can afford to pay. But of course that would be raising taxes... even though it would really be allowing supposedly temporary tax cuts for the rich expire.

And of course, those tax cuts were never "paid for," because "you never have to pay for a tax cut."

I Can Haz Facepalm?
    [​IMG]

2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I don't believe our gov't will be forced to once again represent our citizens until we understand that left and right, conservative or liberal, democrat or republican mean nothing other than a means to divide us.

Once we're smart enough to accept that fact, then maybe we'll stop the partisan bullsh1t and become united...because the fact is, that's all it is, bullsh1t.

3. Ilikehappyppl

Ilikehappyppl 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Great post,

I love how last year around this time it was the Bush Tax Cuts that were up for debate, never heard any GOP member talk about how we were going to pay for those.....We just had to pass them or the world was going to end and mother and fathers were going to eat their children and everyone was going to go crazy!!!:rolleyes:

It was ok to keep/extend tax cuts for the rich, we didn't have to find a way to pay for them....But its not ok to have the payroll tax cut extended unless we find a way to pay for it! I see now its all coming clear to me now.....:bricks:

I'm so sick of the GOP and the rich/corps that support them, what a bunch of tools. I don't think to highly of the Dem's either but atleast they are trying and not just obstructing, maybe they have in the past I'm not saying they aren't guilty of crappy politics but someone has to be the adult here..... Two wrongs will never make a right, sometimes doing the right thing is the hard thing.:rocker:

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +371 / 11 / -28

This right wing "logic", makes as much sense as:

Lewis Carroll
    Jabberwocky

5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +566 / 8 / -8

Look, what we have here is a tax cut that will have definite effects in various ways, and it's up for a vote by our political parties.

For better or worse, those supporting this easing of the burden on the middle class are considered "left" and are supported, by and large, by the Dems. Those who have the "opposed" position, and say you have to "pay for it" (i.e., by cutting something else they hate anyway,) are the pubbies.

Now, where the pubbies are extremely busted, as outlined above, is they pulled a PR the last time this came up, and said, en masse, as a party, "you never have to pay for tax cuts, period."

And now, the opposite pertains.

Yes yes of course of course, the GOP is caught in blatant hypocrisy, and it's both parties and all ideologies trying to divide us... Sure PR.

In the context of most major issues, this perspective is trendy bullsh1t.

I'd prefer pols in general were less slimy. However, this "pox on both their houses when one of them fuggs up" theory is pretty much part of the GOP playbook at the moment.

As ILHP points out, the Dems are, to bottom-line it, trying to help. The GOP, for the last three years now, have had one guiding light: Obstruct, obstruct, obstruct.

America to the GOP: Get out of our way.

PFnV

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

I guess the flip side to how "unbelievable" Coke is, would be to point out how Pepsi suddenly believes in tax cuts paying for themselves.

I'm not sure why people are ever surprised by stuff like this. Each party pushes policies it previously faught against, whenever it's politically favorable to do so. Suddenly short changing SS is a good thing for some, while cutting taxes without paying for them is bad for the other.

I love how some people think that taxing people more is the answer to trillions of dollars worth of problems. We're taxed enough pal. It's time to spend a little less.

7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Actually both sides are saying that this extension of the payroll tax must be paid for, the dems want to raise taxes on 'the rich' to 'fund' the continued payroll (Social Security) cut and the pubs want to cut spending. Basic difference of opinion raise taxes or cut spending. We know which side the dems are on.

8. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +673 / 6 / -9

We know that Republicans would rather promote continued economic stagnation in their perpetual quest to undermine the president than see taxes on the wealthy raised by a negligible amount.

This has less to do about the actual issues involved and more to do with the fact that the GOP has decided to oppose everything Obama does, regardless of whether or not they'd ordinarily support such proposals.

9. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Stagnation would look pretty good compared to the collapse from when Pelosi and Reid took congress and then the disaster of the first 2 years of Obama.

But wait weren't you the one who was saying the stimulus was successfull in 2010.

Yes you were :singing::singing::singing::D

10. JackBauer

JackBauer Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +673 / 6 / -9

I know you like making things up, and all. Just don't expect me to come engage you in your fact-free reality, mmkay?

11. PatsFan24

PatsFan24 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I like that cat.

12. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +566 / 8 / -8

It is a really cute cat.

13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

That sounds like an attempt to defend an unsound policy. Did you support the various unpaid for tax cuts over the years? The Democratic Party has been quite consistent in its support for raising taxes. That has been an issue that has been used against them time and time again. So, perhaps we should have dispensed with the partisan bullsh1t years ago, but now the request rings hollow. At this point, the partisan bullsh1t is the way our system works at every level. To stop the partisan bullsh1t, you'd have to fundamentally change our culture!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Funny the deems are looking to cut the funding for ss which is already running in the red.

15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Dems are also for raising taxes on the wealthy. Right now, the Republicans seem to be operating on the assumption a bad economy is good for their election chances.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

They are defunding the SS trust fund raising taxes on the 'rich' doesn't change that one iota. The Payroll taxes are for SS the taxes they are looking to rise are for the General fun.

17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +566 / 8 / -8

Well, I don't think they're just for general fun.

Then by God, the honest thing for Republicans to do is INSIST that the ENTIRETY of the Bushie cuts for the rich be reversed. After all, those tax cuts were never paid for in the first place. The rate on the rich should be raised to the previous rate, and then some, until those tax cuts for the last 10 years are paid for.

And we will obviously need to re-charge the trust fund, 13. So we can put some of that cash from the unpaid-for cuts to the wealthy into the trust fund from the general fund.

That way the rest of America can start to benefit from the Bush kleptocracy era.

PFnV