Welcome to PatsFans.com

GOP Debate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, May 4, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +459 / 6 / -2

Did anyone watch? I didn't watch the Dem debate, and I didn't watch the GOP last night. I've read that Obama was the best performer for the Dems (Clinton 2nd), and Rudi was the best performer last night (amazingly with Romney scoring well). Without having watched, I obviously can't say myself. As always, I take what's written in review with a grain of salt. Anyone watch? How'd Ron Paul do?
  2. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Ron Paul was the only one who advocated getting out of Iraq. He said he was the only one who wanted to go back to America's roots of isolationism and true Republican values. Guiliani was the only one who said he supported abortion. Romney said he flipped his views on abortion just like Reagan and GHWBush.

Guiliani won't make it far, he has too many personal issues that won't fly. Romney is slick as hell, he sounds smart and well spoken.
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  3. Real World

Ratings:
    +459 / 6 / -2

I like Rudi's results, but said a couple of years ago when it was whispered he was going to run one day, that his skeletons were too many. who knows though. With all the losers we've had, and have in politics, ethical, and moral lifestyles are no longer as important as they once were. When you couple that with the Coke or Pepsi platform, his chances of surviving are a little better than normal. As for Romney, he's such a suit. Nice hair, good looks, articulate, he's tall, has a strong arm... :D
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +453 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I didn't watch. I was glad to hear Romney did well, I kind of like him. Screw Guiliani, I would never support a pro child killer. I like Romney's business background and real Republicanism of lower taxes and lower spending. his combination of business and politics is intriguing . . . I don't know much about the health care thingy he did in Mass. - are you guys happy with it ?

My actual preference is Ron Paul but he 'ain't winning.
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Ron Paul would be great, but the Republican Party and its voters have changed (for the worse).
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 10 / -26

Isn't Ron Paul a liberatarian in Republican clothing???
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +453 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

He is, I'm a little surprised that the Republicans are letting him run as a (R) and participate in the debates as he's not really a (R).
  8. Real World

Ratings:
    +459 / 6 / -2

He's a fiscal conservative from what I've seen. He's more of a constitutionalist. I like alot of what he says, and running as a repub (or Dem) is the only way to get noticed these days. Clearly, he seems to have more in common with old school repubs than he does with dems, which is probably why he went with them.
  9. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

The most interesting part of the debate was that three serious presidential candidates openly stated that they do not believe in evolution. Was a bit shocked by that. Sums up the problems for the Republicans, doesn't it?

I thought Romney looked like the right wing Edwards. Too smooth. I like McCain and Huckabee (even though he was one of the three who doesn't believe in evolution).
  10. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I missed that debate, but am catching up with the clips. Romney is a political ho. Please, do you really want to jump on his bandwagon because he opposes abortion. Oh right, on such a deep routed issue, its wrong now as opposed to before............just use the John Kerry war analogy answer. Giuliani at least had the stones to stand with his original stance, good for him. Tho, it will never fly in getting the nomination. Giuliani, and the right running mate might be tempting as a third party candidate. I saw Bill Maher interview Ron Paul, and even Maher was rather shocked. Paul is rather extreme. Even with McCain down in the polls and funding, it would be an upset not seeing him get the nomination. Law and Order Thompson still is high in the polls even tho he's undeclared.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Unreal!

www.crooksandliars.com/Media/Play/16923/2/GOPDebate-Evolution.mov
    Last edited: May 4, 2007
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Ron Paul was solid... the rest of the thing was an utter borefest... Notice they mentioned Reagan 19 times, and Boy King once?... he's that toxic... lol

McCain seems crazy, or certainly far from sincere with his goofy smirk after each response...
  13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I will not be happy if Massachusetts finally gets a favorite son back in the White House after 45 long years and he turns out to be a Republican not named Weld:mad:

Ron Paul is intriguing; but man is he looking for some BIG changes or what? I can see how one might say that he wants to undo the big changes that already happened. I'd have to think long and hard about him; there's serious potential for a major positive or negative shift if he gets in. Like with using dynamite.
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i kinda want Romney to win the Pub ticket, so that when he doesn't carry Massachusetts in Nov. 08, we'll have another ridiculous talking point about the stolen 2000 election we can tell Bush Leaguers to STFU over: ... that being Gore not carrying Tenn. (a Pub state)
  15. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah, Romney was pretty funny explaining how after being Pro-choice all these years, his switching to Pro-Life just 2 years ago had nothing to do with running for President. :D
    And then when asked about his healthcare plan in Massachusetts that he backed away from he now answered "I love it!!!"
    I think McCain did well for himself showing thats hes a bona fide Republican while Romney and Guiliani looked like very flawed candidates.
    Style wise i was surprised at how well Huckabee sounded. Did he remind anyone else of a more beat up looking Kevin Spacey?
    Round one of the debates have to go to Obama and McCain.
  16. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +577 / 2 / -9

FLASH: FOXNEWS O'REILLY TOPS MSNBC GOP DEBATE FOR NIGHT... O'REILLY PULLS 2,314,000 VIEWERS... DEBATE SCORES 1,762,000... [DEM DEBATE WEEK BEFORE HIT 2,261,000]... FOXNEWS HANNITY/COLMES AT 1,548,000... MORE

ACTUAL DEBATE COVERAGE: 8-9:30PM:

FNC 2,023,000
    MSNBC 1,762,000
    CNN 599,000

More people watched FOXNEWS TALKING about debate than the actual DEBATE!
    http://www.drudgereport.com/
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +453 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I really don't care what journey someone took in becoming pro life as long as they arrived there. I would have no problem voting for the pro life Romney regardless of how long he's been pro life; I would not vote for pro baby Killer Guiliani, however.
  18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yeah, that was a good one for the carpetbagger.
    I liked that he said the stem cell funding issue that he crushed was the last straw for him and it pushed him over to the other side to being anti-choice, pro-life, anti-abortion, pro-teenage mother...whatever you want to call it. I thought it funny that he was OK with the destruction of a living, thinking human of 6 months gestation but it was the friggin STEM CELL RESEARCH that really upset him. What a poser. I think this guy might be actually more dangerous to the country than the Simian has been because at least with Bush, you knew he was a fu-king prick. This Romney is one, but he looks like he might buy you dinner while he screws you.