Welcome to PatsFans.com

GOP Debate - Winners and Losers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I didn't watch it - but here's what the GOP insiders are saying this morning.

Anyone here actually see the whole thing? Thoughts? Opinions? Agree with the "Insiders" or disagree with them? (Do we even know who these "Insiders" are?)

Manchester, New Hampshire (CNN) - A survey of GOP insiders indicates that Mitt Romney was the biggest winner of Monday night's CNN/WMUR/New Hampshire Union Leader Republican presidential debate.

According to a National Journal Political Insiders poll, 51 percent of those questioned say that the former Massachusetts governor was the biggest winner of the debate, with 21 percent saying that Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota was the winner. In third place in the survey was former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty at nine percent, followed by former House Speaker Newt Gingrich at seven percent, former Godfather's Pizza CEO and radio talk show host Herman Cain and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania at four percent.

None of the 54 Republican political operatives, strategists, campaign consultants and lobbyists who are part of the National Journal's regular panel of Washington insiders said that Rep. Ron Paul of Texas was the biggest winner of the debate.

So who was the biggest loser?

Twenty-six percent say Pawlenty, with 19 percent saying Cain was the biggest loser. Twelve percent pick Gingrich as the person who lost the most, followed by Romney at 11 percent, Santorum at seven percent and Bachmann and Paul each at four percent.

GOP Insiders say Romney was the biggest win – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
  2. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I watched the whole thing, I thought overall it was boring and the worst part about the entire debate was John King while candidates were answering the questions.

You could hear this constant "uh....... uh...... uh....." the entire time, John King was trying to ensure candidates stayed within the time limit and sometimes was agreeing and shaking his head with their answers, but the problem was his mic was on the entire time so we heard every little noise he made...

It was enough to comment to the wife multiple times how annoying it was, and I even started doing it to him in my own family room...

As far as the debate, I think Bauchman simply turned in a Sarah Palin Performance, and SP lost more than anyone else last night. Sarah Palin was on stage last night dressed in Michelle skin.

Newt had some good answers, he was like the guy you could tell knew more than most on stage, and easily informed the audience of the finer details and reasons for things... It was like being at a bar listening to some wind bags who pretend to know things, and Newt comes up and tells you the facts about the reality of what the idoit at the bar is talking about. Newt saved his campaign.

Santorum... Boring, nothing new, we do know that he loves god, his kids, and his past record. Other than that, there isn't too much more we learned.

Mitt... his answered were canned as canned can be, and what's funny is he more than a few times tried the ole "I paid for this Mic" stick that Regean became famous for, but John King wouldn't have it... so Mitt came out looking silly in his "I'm going to stand up to the moderator" and lose moments... Overall I think Mitt will gain the most from the debate becuase as the front runner, not one person confronted and challenged him.... so by default, he wins. However Obama will crush Mitt in a debate, that much is obvious.

Pawlenty... Not bad, he did more than I thought he would, but the moderator asked him to back up his words about Mitt, and he very much avoided it as much as possible... he looked weak, and lets be honest, the vast majority of the Red Meat-ers aren't going to vote for a skinny bird faced man who looks like a democrat.

Hermain Cain was irrelevant other than one comment where he said he would not hire a Muslim in his cabinet, he backed tracked and answered, then had to recall the moderator again to clear it up some more. Hermain Cain didn't say anything unique, original, or inspriing other than he's a business man, and like business he knows how to put a business plan together and figure out things.

Ron Paul, was typical Ron Paul...He always answers with the real answers no one wants to hear, RP received 5-6 ovations to his answers, one of the top appaluse getter. His opening answer seemed out of touch with the audience, and I wasn't impressed with his first 2 answers overall... However, when they got into healthcare, property rights, gays in the military, and the economy... he really was shinning. Everyone on stage when asked how to raise home prices, they said we need to grow the economy and get rid of Obamneycare... It was odd, the question was about home prices, every other candidate landed on obamacare... Ron Paul broke it down to inform people that prices need to go lower, this was a man made effect, and until prices go lower and clear out all the bad debt, nothing will change and if you keep asking government to interfere, you'll get more of the same... which was a great answer, different from the rest.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +473 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Wow!! Thanks, McGraw. What a great run-down!!

I gotta say, this response is one of the best things I've read on PatsFans in a long time. It was informative, concise and totally without bias.

Totally unexpected!!!! LOL

I wish I would have watched it in a way. I was so afaid it was going to be a circus that I just couldn't bring myself to turn it on. (Well, that and I kinda forgot about it until it was almost over.)

I heard Morning Joe say the same thing you said about King....he said it was obvious he had a headphone on and that someone was harrassing him in his ear every 3 seconds or so telling him to "move on, move on." That sucks. I'd rather get less question and more answer in most instances. I suppose with that many people it's hard to do but I'm sure it would have been possible.

I did also hear that Bachman has toned it down significantly...that she's hired great advisors and coachs and she's apparently listening to them - which would be different than Palin, I think, and give her that edge over Palin if not over anyone else.

Newt does come across as a fairly bright guy - but he's so bizarre in other respects that he cancels his own intelligence out.

Anyhow...I thank you for the run down.
  4. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Winner: President Obama

Loser: The American people
  5. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Obama 2012 BOOK IT:p

Pick up Palin as ur VP :yeeha:

GOP wins only if pigs :pigsfly::pigsfly::pigsfly:
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Bruins 5
    Vancouver 2
  7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +391 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Since I'm home with my wife following her Friday surgery I will throw my two cents in.

Cain is done. It makes no sense to say he'd have a muslim in his cabinet but he wouldn't be comfortable with a muslim. You can all follow the logic there, it means he'd be willing to have someone in his cabinet he's not comfortable with. Bye.

Pawlenty with given a batting practice fastball down the middle and didn't swing. Bye.

Romney is rock solid, I liked him going in, I like him coming out.

I like Bachman a lot. She has a more compelling biography than Palin and she doesn't have the weird sqeak to her voice. She won't be Palinized and will be an interesting candidate although the sexist dems will go after her.

I like Newt and I liked his answer on muslims - but I doubt the country will. It's a shame he looks like a comic book caricature because he's a thinker much more than we normally get from either party.

Maybe Perry will get in but as of now I think Romney and Bachman will be the final two. I think they're both interesting and compelling - and they're certainly more qualified than obama was when he ran - and whoever comes out the victor will have no less than a 50-50 shot to win the whole thing unless the economy takes a serious bump up.
  8. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

In what universe is Bachmann is more qualified than Obama?

Romney is certainly the front runner now, but the other candidates haven't lit into him yet. Pawlenty missed a golden opportunity, as did Santorum to a lesser extent. Romney has liabilities a mile wide. And if Kerry was unacceptable in 2004 due to his alleged flip flopping, I'd love to hear how the same indictment doesn't apply to Mittens?

Either way, Obama has to be pleased as he'd wipe the floor with any out of this gaggle of retreads and backbenchers.
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +391 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Right now obama is more qualified as he's help the job. But compared to when he ran last time, Bachman has been a Congresswoman longer and she has been more active in Congress than obama was in the Senate.

We'll see, obama has a bad record to defend now unlike last time. Maybe he'll get a pass due to what he inherited but things are no better now despite his spending of trillions and "hope and change" won't work this time. And he has to answer to his no vote on increasing the debt ceiling as a Senator - I bet he wishes he'd voted PRESENT on that one :singing:
  10. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Are you seriously conflating experience as a Congressman with experience as a Senator?

Things aren't any better now? Last I checked, we are no longer on the precipice of a complete economic meltdown. The domestic auto industry has been stabilized (sorry, Mitt!). We have a starting point in reforming our completely dysfunctional health care system. I'd say things are significantly better now than they were in Jan. 2009. Moreover, when you look at what the Republicans are proposing, it becomes glaring just how empty their policy reservoir is. High unemployment? Cut taxes! Huge budget deficit? Cut taxes! Crumbling infrastructure? Cut taxes! Lagging education system? Cut taxes! Out-of-control health care costs? Cut taxes!

Pretty sure Obama has already expressed regret for his vote on the debt ceiling. Much easier to grandstand when you're a legislator and not the chief executive.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +391 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I shouldn't have brought obama into this, but he wasn't a senator long before he was running for President so yes I am.

Aside from our Failure in Chief, I'm curious about who others think did well/badly last night, aside from the stupid "Winner: President Obama Loser: The American people" nonsense.

For me the winners were Romney and Bachman. The losers were Pawlenty, Cain and Gingrich (Newt was OK but he loses as he didn't win and he needed a win).

The others didn't make a positive or negative impact on me.
  12. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

It wasn't stupid at all. Obama is the winner because none of the contenders looked formidable in the slightest. Romney was also the winner because he's the front runner and no one did anything to undermine him.

The American people, ultimately, are the losers since it appears they won't even get a real choice in this election. If there were room in the party for decent men like Huntsman, it'd be a bit different. But the party has been hijacked by loons and I suspect it will take another drubbing in 2012 until real soul searching begins.
  13. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Are you saying you'd vote republican over Obama?
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +391 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Huntsman isn't in yet. At the end of the day I expect Republicans to nominate whoever they think has the best chance to win, beating obama should be the only thing that matters and at the end of the day I think that's how they'll vote. We disagree on obama but I can say with supreme confidence that he is VERY beatable if unemployment stays high. We can argue about bailouts, debt and obamacare all we like but they guy is in trouble if the economy is crap. Romney is a very solid choice, we'll see about Bachman, she's definitely a high ceiling/low floor candidate. As of now they're going against a weak incumbent but a lot can change in a year.
  15. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

It depends on what their policy platform was.

If we had someone like Gov. Huntsman (meaning espousing the same beliefs he did as Governor), then I would certainly be receptive to him as I think he is very impressive.

However, the party orthodoxy has determined that in order to remain in good standing in the GOP, you have to subscribe to all the insane policy ideas that are currently in vogue. So until that chances and until candidates aren't forced to kiss Paul Ryan's ring and cannot call Gov. Pawlenty's absolute joke of an "economic plan" for what it is, I think the likelihood of my vote being up for grabs is slim-to-none.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +473 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I would think that would be the case as well - and yet I keep reading article after article that says the Tea Party faction is more intent upon keeping Romney out than they are on getting someone else in. If that's the case, and Romney has the best chance of beating Obama - won't they be cutting off their noses to spite their faces? (I wish I could find the interview I read the other day - whoever they were interviewing was adamant that he and his section of The Tea Party simply didn't care who won the Rep. nomination - just so long as it was not Romney.) This makes no sense to me - better to elect someone who you only half way disagree with than someone whom you totally disagree with, isn't it?

For a Republican nominee to win the general election he/she is going to have to appeal to a good portion of Independent voters.....and most Independents are not so gung-ho all out committed to alot of Tea Party ideals on abortion, gay marriage and other assorted social issues - some of them even outright oppose them. There are Independents who don't mind Obamacare - and who want social security and Medicare to remain unchanged. There are even Independents who want to see the tax cuts for the rich to go away.

I would think that any Republican who truly wants to win the general election is going to be very aware of these things - and that's where much of his support is going to have to come from.

It's a horribly fine line for any candidate, I think. In order to play to the base, which is what they are going to have to do in the primary, they are going to have to take that hard line stance that says no compromise, no surrender, no perceived weakness for social programs, higher taxes for, at the very least, the super-rich, no Obamacare, etc...but that's not going to play well in the general election.

I predict that whoever gets the primary nod is going to do some serious back tracking once that part of the journey is over with if he/she wants to court that all important swing voter.

Unless they think they can win without it.....anyone else think that's possible?
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree 100%. When Obama wins, the American people lose.
  18. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +420 / 6 / -7

Actually, the point was that when the American people have only one viable choice (Obama), they lose.

Nice try, though.
  19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why are you arguing with me when I am agreeing with you?

I agree 100% with what you've said here: When Obama is the only choice, the American people lose.
  20. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +153 / 7 / -13

I didn't watch the debate, the Bruins were on and I am guessing that the questions from J King were written for him by D Axelrod :D.

I don't think Romney will win due to Romneycare that won't wash with Republican activist and primary voters.

I do find it interesting that libs always thinks that nominating RINO's like McCain and Dole to appeal to independents is the way to go. Republicans have won when they have run as conservatives and won big when they ran on conservative idea, Tea Party in 2010, Contract w/ America in 1994, Reagan. The Bush's ran as conservatives even though they weren't really conservatives. Bush 1 ran for the 3rd Reagan term, Bush 2 ran as the conservative who got Texas dem to work with him, the 2nd term was about the WOT, Kerry was very weak of course.

If the republicans run a guy to pander to what they think independents want they will lose.