Welcome to PatsFans.com

GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Dec 8, 2010.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I get a real kick out of these guys theres never enough money for the 911 responders, un-employed, education, middle class, job creation etc. They've hit a new low in denying a measly one time Cola of$250 to the elderly. The same people always seem to find the money if it involves their rich clients.

GOP blocks legislation to award seniors $250 - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – House and Senate Republicans on Wednesday thwarted Democratic efforts to award $250 checks to Social Security recipients facing a second consecutive year without a cost-of-living increase.

President Barack Obama and Democrats have urged approval of the one-time payment, saying seniors barely getting by on their Social Security checks face undue hardships without the COLA increase.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +176 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

They are wasting no time in making it easy for Obama to be re-elected in two years.
  3. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I'm all for making money but this country is on the road to back to the old days of poor houses. Its not hard to notice that whenever legislation helping the middle class or below the Republicans always say there isn't enough money. But have no problem funding anything that helps the rich.
  4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +399 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

A few seniors may be struggling, most aren't. Why should my dad get $250 ? He doesn't need it. My father in law needs it more but he doesn't need it. Dems are against across the board tax cuts but for across the board money re-distribution ?

Social security's COLA system should be set up so it approximates real inflation. No more, no less. Then if it says zero, it stays zero. If it's more than that, then that's what it is too.
  5. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So you want tax hikes to avoid a deficit problem but support payouts?
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +487 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Right...the average Social Security payment is $1,164.00 per month. Medicare Part B plus basic drug prescription coverage is approximately $140.00, leaving the recipient with a grand total of $1,024.00 a month to live on - or $255.00 a week.

When's the last time anyone here tried to live on $255.00 a week?

I'm glad your father and father in law don't need any extra money.

The truth is, however, not all senior citizens are quite so fortunate.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +399 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'm just saying that a blanket payment of money is ridiculous. I don't know about your numbers, I do know that my father in law made enough to survive and no more and, yet, he is getting by without any help.
  8. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Right on brother! What the hell did the elderly ever give us?
  9. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Seriously, it's not like their tax dollars ever wen to anything like school construction, roads, fire stations. None of that sh1t. Screw 'em.
  10. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +487 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Yeah, you're right....survival and nothing morel is exactly what we want for all of our parents.....whatever they've done to contribute to society it's sure not worth an extra $4.82 a week.

Besides which....do I hear any complaints about the deal struck between Obama and the Republicans which cuts payroll taxes (which pay for social security in the first place) by 2% for the upcoming year?

Once again, our parents are supporting us, aren't they? No money for their generation - extra money for ours.
  11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Lets see, i had Thanksgiving dinner in the Upper West side of Manhatten, stayed at a friends apartment on Bleaker street in Greenwich Village then flew to Miami and stayed at someones house on Key Biscayne before driving up to Delray beach/Boca Raton for the last week (BMW's and Mercedes are a dime a dozen). I think i have a good idea of how the rich live (i'm not one of them) and they don't really need that much more money, they're doing pretty well. I think throwing disabled vets and seniors a few crumbs is not to much to ask.
  12. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

It's an awful lot to ask if it's supported by DEATH TAX!!
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +399 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Based on your thinking they should get a lot more than $5 a week. How much should these checks be ? And should the "top 2% of the elderly" get them ?
  14. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Its a token gesture that won't provide any real relief to those truly struggling but cost $14 billion (from the linked Yahoo article). Smells more like a political ploy to me rather than real concern from Dems.

Let's not forget that we froze the SS increases for 2 years in response to the fact that there was a 5.8% increase in 2008. Inflation was negative for 2009, and will be ~1.5% for 2010, so payouts are still in line with inflation (Links below for the numbers).

If you want to argue that social security is underfunded, and/or that the elderly deserve better, fine, I understand that, but this is NOT a solution to those problems.

I do agree that the cut in the SS tax was an irresponsible move considering the fact that SS will be insolvent in ~20 years. I'd like to see the gov't have the courage to take action such as that outlined by Paul Ryan to extend it as a viable program. I fear however that it won't happen because its such a political hot potato.

Cost-Of-Living Adjustments
    Historical Inflation data from 1914 to the present
  15. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 5 / -2

Why does everyone always assume that everyone collecting SS is poor, or really needs it. Not everyone does as BF pointed out. I wish there were a way to needs test these payments. I don't think anyone (certainly not me) is opposed to helping the elderly who truly need it, but not all do. Some dude with 4 rental properties, and a pension, doesn't need the $250. The old lady on a fixed income, does.

I think I saw an article that said soldiers were getting the smallest raise in a long time. No one is in here saying that person X doesn't care about the military. Times are lean folks, and we're broke. It's simply reality. Unfortunate, but reality none the less.
  16. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The problem here is that SS is indexed to overall inflation and seniors face a unique set of expenses that hasn't been tracking very close to overall inflation for quite some time.
  17. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

There is probably no other segment of the population in which needs more help. Of course there are recipients who do not need social security, but the greater percentage does. Look around, and tell me what percentage of the elderly population are living a prosperous life. Not happening. Too many are deciding on pills or groceries. Hopefully, you will not have to decide on a nursing home when your parents reach that stage, that is a real treat and a real eye opener. The argument that not all people need social security or an increase is true, but by withholding that income hurts the vast majority rather then the few.
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +307 / 3 / -13

Whoa MrsP! Our parents generation got a much better deal than we're gonna get when we retire. Most of them have pensions and/or soc sec and maybe some savings.

By the time we retire, who knows what we'll get from soc sec and we all know pensions are failing. So my question is, do today's seniors deserve any more than the next generation of seniors? I think we can all agree the answer is, "no, they do not".
  19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 5 / -2

I'm talking about this payment of $250. I don't think people would be against giving to those in need, but my dad doesn't need it. Neither do a lot of the people I know who collect it. Some of my elderly tenants certainly could use it though. I just think it's poor policy to send out a blanket check to anyone who's collecting. What they could do is send out additional fuel assitance to elderly applicants. That would be money more efficiently, and more effectively spent.