Welcome to PatsFans.com

Google publicly backs gay marriage

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Sep 28, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I agree too but, what the hell is with Google stating political opinions?

3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Good for them and good for gay marriage.
    Anyone who claims to be for freedom should not oppose gay marriage.
    People who are gay should enjoy every right and privelage that every other American enjoys. Let the churches decide if they want to marry gay people or not and that satisfies seperation of church and state. As far as the state is concerned they should issue the license like they do for heteros ... American freedom and the Constitution guarantees it IMO.

4. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

why not ?

It is company made by people for people. It s not like a machine with no feelings and out of touch like some people eh?

5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 15 / -2

I obviously agree with their stance but it's totally hypocritical for a corporation that is complicit in China's oppressive regime to be talking about fundamental human rights.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

Thanks for saving me the trouble. Google is all Pc when it's good pub, but check out how they've red curtained their ops in China. Gross. All to make a buck.

7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Google + Microsoft = Big Brother ... 1984 lives on.

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -11

A corporate board's goal is to increase shareholder weatlh. This may involve attracting and retaining employees and expanding market share. Companies tend to look at nothing more than the bottom line. As far as RW's point about Google in China, can he provide a list of publicly traded companies that refuse to do business in China? Many companies, including some conservative ones, to attract and retain talent as well as to expand market share, embrace all sorts of minorities. It's one of the good things about capitalism. Corporate board members will prostitute their beliefs for a buck.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

Why do I need to provide a list, when we're talking about Google specifically. :rolleyes: BTW, it wasn't just my point, it was Wildo's too.

I love how frauds like Patters chastize "corporations" one day, then coddle them with praise then next. When a corp does something evil it's "greedy capitalism", when they do something he likes it's "attracting and retaining employees". :rolleyes:

10. Patters

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -11

Yes, when a corporation does something evil it's greedy capitalism. When a corporation does something good (such as support gays, implement affirmative action, build in poor areas, and so on) it's good capitalism. I have said time and again I support good capitalism. As far as Google in China, that's a tough issue because China has taken steps towards greater freedom and democracy and, as a young country, it needs some latitude to evolve. Let's remember, part of our growing pain involved the murder of Indians, the enslavement of blacks, and denying equal rights to women. By that measure, China is certainly no worse than we are. I think affording them some latitude while continuing to exert pressure on them to change is and has been the right strategy.

11. Real World

Ratings:
    +657 / 7 / -2

You don't support "good capitalism", you simply support whatever it is that best suits your personal needs. You have zero principles Patters. We all know that in here. Your actions over the last two months have simply made that clearer for people to see.

Right, the 18th, and 19th century certainly compared to mankind in the 21st century. :rolleyes:

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +351 / 15 / -11

Believe what you want, but I have been consistent in my views. You won't find threads with me condemning investment in China.