PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goof in Vega Article in Globe: Pats LOST that game

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobgeorge

Reaction score
In his piece on Kelley Washington Vega writes:

"Washington's feat is rare around these parts. The last time the Patriots turned the trick was Dec. 19, 1999, when Larry Whigham blocked Philadelphia's Sean Landeta in a 24-9 victory over the Eagles at Veterans Stadium. But Washington's play wasn't a simple matter of happenstance."

Victory? Yikes. No, the Pats lost that game 24-9 in what was the death knell of the Pete Carroll era. The title of my game article for that game was "Lazy Patriots Quit On Carroll". It was the worst Patriot game I had seen since the Lisa Olson year of 1990, and that's saying a lot. Brent Jones, who was doing color analysis on CBS (and generally poorly IIRC) was screaming all game long "These players are quitting! These players have quit on their coach!"

Regarding that block by Whigham, didn't Philly recover it and get a first down? There was a play where a kick attempt was blocked and the Eagles recovered and got a first down. Maybe that was the play. I was absolutely livid watching that play.

Bob G

Last edited:
Media mistakes shouldn't even phase you by now, they're all scum.

Media mistakes shouldn't even phase you by now, they're all scum.

I couldn't have said it better myself. There is no integrity or responsibility left in journalism. They are now below lawyers on the scumbag scale.

Yeah, I remember watching that game at a holiday party. Kind of soured the mood.

Whigham and company started celebrating after the block instead of actually recovering the ball, which the Eagles did in fact advance for a first down. One of the worst plays I've ever seen.

Stupid media. They are just driving me nuts this year with their inaccuracy and hypocrisy.

I saw Felger yesterday [talking about the Pats] say that will get Rice [he meant Moss] his record. He never corrected himself. Nor do anyone else on the show correct him.

Here's Vega's response:

We stand corrected. I was misled by Patriots notes which indicated that Larry Whigham's blocked punt came in a 24-9 VICTORY over Philadelphia when, in fact, it came in a 24-9 loss to the Eagles, as you pointed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back