PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if like half the owners wanted Goodell gone he'd have been gone already. They can remove him at any time since he works for them. This simply isn't the case and by every account one of his major supporters is Robert Kraft.

I also wonder what it is everyone who hates the less contact and player protection rules is looking for the league to do? The fact is the NFLPA has pushed for it during CBA talks. Another fact is retired players are now filing class action lawsuits against the league for not protecting them better. A bunch of the same guys whining today are going to be suing in a decade - count on it.

Like it or not this is a big business. The idea the league shouldn't care about billions and billions in potential legal damages because fans and some players (not all and not their elected representatives) want the game to be the way it was is a fantasy.

Last edited:
What ever happened to the days when Sports were about a passion for competition and not just about the damned money? I could care less how much money the NFL is making, blah blah blah, and I know 99% of the fans feel the same way. These new rules to "protect" players is destroying the game and turning it into the AFL. You know it's getting bad when commentators and former players complain about the new rules and the game changing for the worse on the NFLs own damned progress. The only people in favor of the stupid rule changes are the owners/Goodell's pockets and some WRs. Everyone else on the planet is getting f*cking annoyed. Throwing a flag and handing out a fine when you THINK there may have been helmet-to-helmet, but didn't actually see it? Hard hit with the shoulders and a flag/fine.

Some of us loved the AFL.

The AFL came from nothing and grew and grew and grew until the NFL finally and reluctanctly saw what was happening and did the previously unthinkable. Had they not done that, the AFL would have eventually taken over.

Parilli, Namath, Dawson, Hadl,etc. The finesse wimps won SB's 3 and 4 and it was becoming embarrassing for the 3 yards and a cloud of dust NFL. Rozelle knew that without merger, the AFL was about to eat the NFL's lunch entering the 1970's.

Don't put down the AFL. Other than the ABA, it was the only major league in the US to ever challenge and win. It's a huge success story.

Last edited:
Some of us loved the AFL.

The AFL came from nothing and grew and grew and grew until the NFL finally and reluctanctly saw what was happening and did the previously unthinkable. Had they not done that, the AFL would have eventually taken over.

Parilli, Namath, Dawson, Hadl,etc. The finesse wimps won SB's 3 and 4 and it was becoming embarrassing for the 3 yards and a cloud of dust NFL. Rozelle knew that without merger, the AFL was about to eat the NFL's lunch entering the 1970's.

Don't put down the AFL. Other than the ABA, it was the only major league in the US to ever challenge and win. It's a huge success story.

Remember the earliest superbowls, they were thought of as a joke by the NFL... than came 1968, and the Lamar Hunts, et all were vindicated big time, and there was no turning back.

Now it is a cash cow that is increasing revenues exponentially..

Last edited:
Odd timing for this post. Have you SEEN what's going on in the NBA? Maybe you think he's more 'status quo' than you would like, but at least he's not Stern.

Goodell is employed by the 32 owners.

If he want to, he'll hold the position for another 10 years plus.

Honestly, some of the people in here pining for 3 yards and a cloud of dust on black and white Philco tv sets are living in Pixie-Dust-and-Unicorn Land.

Seriously, get out of the basement more often. The world evolves and Goodell is hitting the metrics for the only people who count - - the owners and the fans.

The NFL has NEVER been more widely popular.

I've read plenty of clueless threads over the past decade plus on this site, but this one takes the cake.

Last edited:
Odd timing for this post. Have you SEEN what's going on in the NBA? Maybe you think he's more 'status quo' than you would like, but at least he's not Stern.

.....and less than 10% of the nation south of Pennsylvania can name ONE NHL player.

.....and MLB is a foreign country to most American kids who never care to watch a World Series game.

The OP of this thread might as well criticize Bill Russell for not winning enough championships.

It is truly laughable that there is anyone who believes that Goodell is responsible for the growing NFL profits. It defies description that there is anyone who'd think that POS is a good commissioner. NFL popularity has been steadily growing before Goodell for many years, and despite his terrible decision making, has continued to grow. If not for the Herculean efforts of Bob Kraft, Goodell's bungling would have killed any chance of a new CBA. Although a lockout would have sucked, at least Goodell would have been axed.

.....and less than 10% of the nation south of Pennsylvania can name ONE NHL player.

.....and MLB is a foreign country to most American kids who never care to watch a World Series game.

The OP of this thread might as well criticize Bill Russell for not winning enough championships.
I don't like the ticky tacky manner in which the NFL hands out fines (and for ridiculous plays) but I'm not complaining about the state of the game (especially as an international follower). This is a real sore point for mine with Goodell, but then again, whoever runs something exactly the way you wished it would be run? The expansion into overseas markets has afforded me the opportunity to watch the team I follow on a regular basis (with excellent quality broadcasting too I might add).

It's easier to complain shmessy. It's what most people do rather than offer constructive approaches to fix issues. It's a question I always ask people when I enter into a topical debate with them after listening to their whinging... how would you fix it? The overwhelming response is generally a pause then shrug of the shoulders.

Let's not forget, the grass is always greener.

Last edited:
NFL has, no doubt, gained in popularity. But, most of these new "fans" are drawn not to the violent NFL game most of us grew up with (where tough defenses were beloved as much or more than great offenses). Most are fantasy football devotees drawn by this new, offensive statistics fueled, variety. In reality, today's NFL has fallen in popularity with true "diehard" fans who have watched their beloved game turned into something quickly approaching flag football. This has in turn brought in more of the fantasyers as offensive statictics have soared. This is, in my opinion, a fools game, as I don't think (OK, pray) that fantasy football will have legs. How soon before these "fans" find another distraction to pursue?

Last edited:
NFL has, no doubt, gained in popularity. But, most of these new "fans" are drawn not to the violent NFL game most of us grew up with (where tough defenses were beloved as much or more than great offenses). Most are fantasy football devotees drawn by this new, offensive statistics fueled, variety. In reality, today's NFL has fallen in popularity with true "diehard" fans who have watched their beloved game turned into something quickly approaching flag football. This has in turn brought in more of the fantasyers as offensive statictics have soared. This is, in my opinion, a fools game, as I don't think (OK, pray) that fantasy football will have legs.

Now THERE is a real world criticism. Thank you.

I don't share that opinion, however. I, personally, don't like the concept of Fantasy Football leagues - - although I am reluctantly in one because I have some friends who convinced me to do it this year. I just want to root for the Pats and don't give a crap about other teams. I'm no gambler, however, in this day and age, for a large segment of the country it is another way to gamble and if there is any industry booming here and around the world decade to decade, it is gambling. It has widened the popularity and investment of the masses in the NFL. My wife actually now knows who the hell Beanie Wells is and whether or not his leg is healed because he is on my FF team. A few years ago, I wouldn't have known or cared about the RB of the Arizona cardinals - - unless the Pats were playing them that week. THAT right there is a psychological investment in a sport.

In short, the NFL continues to actually grow as THE American Culture - - much the way baseball and jazz used to be in the 20th century. In this age of 700 tv channels, neighborhood enclaves and computer cocooning, there is only one thing that brings the nation around the proverbial campfire. Furthermore, NO ONE can effectively argue that it's hold is not getting stronger.

When you talk about "losing the diehard fan" - - lemme give you a great example of a sport that has effectively kept it's diehard fans. The NHL. Good job, NHL! You are losing little by little to MLS in the United States. The "Diehard Fan" angle is one employed well by the PBA Bowling Tour and I'm sure the Canadian Curling League, too.

There is a reason why the term is "DIEhard". Dinosaurs were "diehards". Jim Jone's People's Temple was filled with "diehards". I'm sure there are some "diehard" fans of Muzak.

Last edited:
Now THERE is a real world criticism. Thank you.

I don't share that opinion, however. I, personally, don't like the concept of Fantasy Football leagues - - although I am reluctantly in one because I have some friends who convinced me to do it this year. I just want to root for the Pats and don't give a crap about other teams. However, in this day and age, it is another way to gamble and if there is any industry booming here and around the world decade to decade, it is gambling. It has widened the popularity and investment of the masses in the NFL. My wife actually now knows who the hell Beanie Wells is and whether or not his leg is healed because he is on my FF team. A few years ago, I wouldn't have known or cared about the RB of the Arizona cardinals - - unless the Pats were playing them that week.

In short, the NFL continues to actually be American Culture - - much the way baseball and jazz used to be in the 20th century. In this age of 700 tv channels, neighborhood enclaves and computer cocooning, there is only one thing that brings the nation aroud the proverbial campfire. Furthermore, NO ONE can effectively argue that it's hold is not getting stronger.

When you talk about "losing the diehard fan" - - lemme give you a great example of a sport that has effectively kept it's diehard fans. The NHL. Which is losing little by little to MLS in the United States. The "Diehard Fan" angle is one employed well by the PBA Bowling Tour and I'm sure the Canadian Curling League, too.

There is a reason why the term is diehard.

I have always been one too follow other teams, even before the creation of fantasy football, because what these other teams do has a bearing on the Patriots. This is especially true as we get closer and closer to the playoffs. Who we root for week to week is based on what is best for the Patriots. Every week there is a thread titled: "Who to root for".

Following these other teams, throughout the year, also lets you know what the Patriots are in for against that week's opponent (i.e type of defense, offense, are they good, do they suck).

As far as the NHL is concerned, the die-hards will always be there. The way it looks like they are losing fans is that a few knuckle-heads thought ice hockey could survive in the South, a place where ice is foreign to them. This presumption was based on on the popularity of the league at the time, in places where there actually is ice. They plucked teams from Winnipeg and Quebec, where hockey is the national pastime, and put a team back in Atlanta, where it had failed twenty years prior.

Now that team from Atlanta has moved to Winnipeg, and there is talk of one of the other southern teams moving to Quebec. The great southern experiment by the NHL has failed, so they are now retreating back into Canada.

I have always been one too follow other teams, even before the creation of fantasy football, because what these other teams do has a bearing on the Patriots. This is especially true as we get closer and closer to the playoffs. Who we root for week to week is based on what is best for the Patriots. Every week there is a thread titled: "Who to root for".

Following these other teams, throughout the year, also lets you know what the Patriots are in for against that week's opponent (i.e type of defense, offense, are they good, do they suck).

As far as the NHL is concerned, the die-hards will always be there. The way it looks like they are losing fans is that a few knuckle-heads thought ice hockey could survive in the South, a place where ice is foreign to them. This presumption was based on on the popularity of the league at the time, in places where there actually is ice. They plucked teams from Winnipeg and Quebec, where hockey is the national pastime, and put a team back in Atlanta, where it had failed twenty years prior.

Now that team from Atlanta has moved to Winnipeg, and there is talk of one of the other southern teams moving to Quebec. The great southern experiment by the NHL has failed, so they are now retreating back into Canada.

I hear ya Willie, but I remember that experiment being tried a FEW times. As a kid, I vividly remember Bobby Orr skating agains the old Atlanta Flames.

You're entirely right. The NHL is a regional sport that appeals to the "diehards".

In this day and age, catering to "diehards" works for regional businesses and minor leagues. If the NFL went retro and catered to the "diehards", then Brady, Manning, Brees, etc. would have been gone a long time ago. The players are bigger, stronger, faster than the 5'11" 230 DE's of the 1960's.

Fans would still be sitting on metal bleacher seats in the EZ of Foxborough Stadium and we'd still be worrying about NO TV WHATSOEVER if a game was blacked out. It would be fun, though, to buy life insurance or a car from a Patriot in the offseason!

Last edited:

So was Bettman who was commissioner for all that expansion doing a good job by expanding the sport and making it more popular. Or was he hurting the product in the long run. The answer is in on hockey.

Basketball was much more popular 15 years ago than it is now. Today most people wouldn't care if they didn't play a season at all.

Baseball was the most popular sport up until the last couple of decades, now it's a four hour snoozefest.

Popularity, especially when it's built on a fickle base, will eventually fade. The diehards are the only one's with loyalty.

Do you think the Patriots will be bringing in the same local numbers once Brady and Belichick move on and the Patriots finish 6-10 or 8-8?

I for one am watching less football these days. The never ending commercials (DVR helps), the challenges, the replays from every angle on every play, the rules benefiting strictly the offense, the officiating and the overall poor quality of play is making the game less enjoyable to watch.

NFL has, no doubt, gained in popularity. But, most of these new "fans" are drawn not to the violent NFL game most of us grew up with (where tough defenses were beloved as much or more than great offenses). Most are fantasy football devotees drawn by this new, offensive statistics fueled, variety. In reality, today's NFL has fallen in popularity with true "diehard" fans who have watched their beloved game turned into something quickly approaching flag football. This has in turn brought in more of the fantasyers as offensive statictics have soared. This is, in my opinion, a fools game, as I don't think (OK, pray) that fantasy football will have legs. How soon before these "fans" find another distraction to pursue?

Heh!! If I didn't know I was in a FootBall Forum, I'd SWEAR you were talking about Metallica!! :rofl:

How the hell is he still the commish... after like what? 4 years?

and like not half the owners.

More than half the owners must have liked him Feb 2010 as they voted to give him a five year extention.

Player and fans don't get to vote on who is the commish.

It seems that the most prevalent complaint against Goodell involve a single decision against the patriots and the fact that he is cooperating with the players union to enact and enforce rules to protect players.

As fans, many prefer a much more violent game. Let the players play they say. This has been the way of the world since at least the time of Rome.

Some long for the old afl where offensive teams dominated. The patriots, colts (not this year obviously), saints and packers all say "Hi".

And then we complain about too many injuries.

The bottom line is that nfl football is in great shape and Goodell will stay as long as he wants. He didn't build the modern nfl. That's true. But the nfl is doing very, very well under his watch.

BTW, I haven't a clue why folks think that Goodell doesn't have the support of the owners. There will always be owners that fail. However, if an owner fails under the current financial conditions of the nfl, he truly deserves to fail. And that is NOT a bad thing. Sometimes owners are incompetent. Sometimes a city doesn't support a team.

Last edited:
That's the same argument Demetriou's detractors use. It's always the game could run itself, which in my opinion is bulldust. Evidently, your second point is the same position people hold toward the AFL with the constant rule tinkering.

There's nothing bulldust about it. The NFL was a cash cow and ratings behemoth long before Goodell stepped into the role of Commissioner. For example, 21 of the top 45 shows of all time are Super Bowls.

There's nothing bulldust about it. The NFL was a cash cow and ratings behemoth long before Goodell stepped into the role of Commissioner. For example, 21 of the top 45 shows of all time are Super Bowls.

Goodell took over a well run growing business and has done nothing to impede the pre-ordained exponential growth rate. For not screwing the pooch, the majority of owners will continue to reward him with their support. Remember owners e.g. Bob Kraft are intrigued with oversea$ expan$ion and most found the 18 game season to their liking.

It's us fans who cannot stomach the puke. Of course us Pats fans burn with a special hate for his Spygate mishandling. Were it just the draft pick and fine it would be bad enough but his confusing statement regarding precisely WHAT the Patriots were being punished for tarnishes the legacy until today.

So much for Pats fans. All NFL fans are upset by the quirky, seeming random manner in which fines are assessed. Compare a Mayo punishment to the Steelers Harrison. I support player safety and fines for head hunting but the league's (Goodell's) approach here fails to acknowledge that the NFL is a violent contact sport where collisions occur by design and too few hundreds of milliseconds elapse for considered judgement by defensive players.

The move to appeal to the gaudy stats high scoring Fantasy segment of the populace is probably good business but I as a fan don't like the way the sport is evolving. Rescinding the no contact beyond 5 yards ****y rule would help restore football to football.

Last edited:
If people wish to applaud Goodell for working well with owners and players to accommodate their needs that's fine and I understand that replacing him probably just means a new face. But please don't try to pawn him off as the NFL's version of Warren Buffet, that's laughable to say the least.

I started watching football in 93, joined an office pool playing the weekly football cards. Never knew how much power a little pocket cash and bragging rights had until I found myself glued to the TV all day sunday. Didn't know squat about the sport until then and naturally started rooting for my home team since. The other major sports put me to sleep, lol.

Point is people start watching sports for various reasons, usually marketing and airtime make the biggest impact for the success of any endeavour. I'll credit that department to the owners and investors not the Goodells.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey