PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: Vikings didn't tamper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Minnesota has an owner

Green Bay is owned by fans

Goodell sides with.... drumroll please...

Ta da!!!

I thought the new rule said that he can rule against even if there's no hard evidence?

No thats known as the "Patriot Act"

OK. I'll wait untill someone here posts they felt that Commissioner Clouseau would have found the Vikes guilty of tampering with Lord Favre. Waiting...

Why bother? You know he's going to give him to his former employer. He's just wringing his hands and curling his brow anticipating his evil plan to come to fruition.

This piece of New York garbage (redundant, I know) makes David Stern look honest, Gary Bettman competant and Bud Selig alive.

Not tampering? Are you effin sh!tting me? What the eff do you think Brad Children and His Lordship could possibly have been talking about, you a-hole?

Another of the many reasons why I'm so pissed-off about not winning the SB is that we missed the chance to see this scumbag personally hand the Lombardi Trophy to its rightful owners, the New England Patriots.

What did Bob Kraft ever see in this effin jerkoff, anyway?

This piece of New York garbage (redundant, I know) makes David Stern look honest, Gary Bettman competant and Bud Selig alive.

Not tampering? Are you effin sh!tting me? What the eff do you think Brad Children and His Lordship could possibly have been talking about, you a-hole?

Another of the many reasons why I'm so pissed-off about not winning the SB is that we missed the chance to see this scumbag personally hand the Lombardi Trophy to its rightful owners, the New England Patriots.

What did Bob Kraft ever see in this effin jerkoff, anyway?

It still makes me laugh with the photo that all of the news agencies use of him.

rogergoodellJonathan_Daniel.jpg

Completely lost.....

Kontra, I wasn't gonna say anything but since others have brought it up I also find your sig pic very annoying/distracting. Please remove it. Thanks.

Now back to topic: I had started another thread before I saw this one (I deleted it - I love this VIP thingee!) Anyway, I had written,

"Commissioner Two-Face ruled that the Vikings did nothing wrong in their multiple conversations with Lord "Flip Flop" Favre - "it wasn't tampering". :confused: :mad:"

Isn't tampering? I don't know what the rule says about retired players, but let me get this straight: a guy can "retire" (wink, wink), still be under contract for $12M per year, talk to any team he wants, state that he only wants to play for that one other team, and then apply for reinstatement and it's not tampering? If that isn't against the rules, it's a loophole you could drive the moon through.

Personally, I think it's a travesty that we lose a first round draft pick (plus $$$$$) for filming from an illegal location and the Vikes can get away with that. Whoever said Commissioner Two-Face has to go, I agree.

Hey guys.. not trying to be a contrarian.. but I'm just wondering what the process was when we got Seau last year. He had retired, but wasn't he still under contract?

Didn't the 49eras lose a draft pick for tampering with Briggs when he was under contract with the Bears? Couple that with the inconsistencies in the Personal discipline policy when some guys get hammered and others don't (Lynch has a hit and run and no punishment) and you can understand why people are frustrated with the commissioner.

In this case I think it's different rules for different players, but your point still holds. Me thinks this ruling is a favor to Favre more than the Vikings - Goodell's made it clear that he's willing to take some, umm, unorthodox actions to ensure Favre plays for another year.

Just another instance of
outcome-oriented officiating

... as the world sees
in many a big game.

Only the Patriots violate league rules.

Duh.

It still makes me laugh with the photo that all of the news agencies use of him.

rogergoodellJonathan_Daniel.jpg

Completely lost.....

Yeah. You can tell there is nothing but dead air up in that dome.

Let me get this straight:

Lord Favre wants to play.
Lord Favre wants to be realeased so he can play for a team he wants to play for.
Lord Favre is willing to risk 10s of millions of dollars being released.
Lord Favre only wants to play for the Vikings.

If there was no tampering, none of his conversations with the Vikings coaches about whether they want him, how does Lord Favre know with such certainty that the Vikings want him? He is betting way too much cash as well as his desire to play not to be sure.

Last edited:
I don't know if every move Goodell makes being compared to Spygate is fair or very productive. He handled Spygate poorly and went way overboard with the punishiment, but it is over. I am guessing that if Goodell had to do it over again, he would have handled it much differently.

Fact of the matter is unless either Childress or Favre admits to talking about Favre playing with the Vikes, tampering is hard to prove even with the phone records. There is no NFL rule preventing Favre from talking to Childress especially after he retired, they just cannot talk about Favre playing in Minnesotta. In the San Fran/Briggs case, there were supposably e-mail correspondence that got them in trouble.

I am sure that the Vikings did tamper with Favre. I don't think there is any definitive way to prove it even with the phone records. Why get all upset about it?

I don't know if every move Goodell makes being compared to Spygate is fair or very productive. He handled Spygate poorly and went way overboard with the punishiment, but it is over. I am guessing that if Goodell had to do it over again, he would have handled it much differently.

Fact of the matter is unless either Childress or Favre admits to talking about Favre playing with the Vikes, tampering is hard to prove even with the phone records. There is no NFL rule preventing Favre from talking to Childress especially after he retired, they just cannot talk about Favre playing in Minnesotta. In the San Fran/Briggs case, there were supposably e-mail correspondence that got them in trouble.

I am sure that the Vikings did tamper with Favre. I don't think there is any definitive way to prove it even with the phone records. Why get all upset about it?

I thought Goodell had just passed a rule that said it wouldn't take as much evidence in order to punish teams/players? It seemed like this would be the perfect situation to use that rule to punish the Vikings. They have the phone records, and can make the obvious conclusion of what the phone records were about. Isnt that how they were able to punish the 49ers?

Goodell is an idiot with severe lack of judgement, which he has proven time and time again.
Goodell has tampered with out sensibilities big time.

Isnt that how they were able to punish the 49ers?

Those calls were between the 49ers and Briggs' agent. Apparently a player can have friendly conversations with the coaches of another team. With agents being instruments of Satan, the "friendly conversation" angle doesn't fly.

I thought Goodell had just passed a rule that said it wouldn't take as much evidence in order to punish teams/players? It seemed like this would be the perfect situation to use that rule to punish the Vikings. They have the phone records, and can make the obvious conclusion of what the phone records were about. Isnt that how they were able to punish the 49ers?

Word was that they found e-mail communications between Lance Briggs and the 49ers that hung them.

I did forget that Goodell did say he didn't have to have iron clad evidence to charge a team with tampering. But I don't know if just phone records is enough for him especially since Favre does have a friendship with the Vikings' OC. If he only spoke to Childress once, it may not be enough either.

Let me get this straight. The tampering rule says you cannot contact other teams players. The filming rule says you cannot tape and use the taping for an advantage.

The Vikings broke the rule that does not require intent as proof, and are exonerated, because the Commissioner decided what was said on calls he did not hear. The Patriots broke the rule that includes intent, and the Commissioner without proving intent fines them $1,000,000 and a 1st round raft pick.

Something is very wrong here.

Let me get this straight. The tampering rule says you cannot contact other teams players. The filming rule says you cannot tape and use the taping for an advantage.

The Vikings broke the rule that does not require intent as proof, and are exonerated, because the Commissioner decided what was said on calls he did not hear. The Patriots broke the rule that includes intent, and the Commissioner without proving intent fines them $1,000,000 and a 1st round raft pick.

Something is very wrong here.

Oh, and by the way if there was no tampering and no talk about a job, why is Favre saying he wants to play for the Vikings? How does he know they want him?

Roger Goddell could be the only thing capable of ruining the NFL.

Oh, and by the way if there was no tampering and no talk about a job, why is Favre saying he wants to play for the Vikings? How does he know they want him?

Roger Goddell could be the only thing capable of ruining the NFL.

I couldn't agree more. He's scatological. His lack of prescience is frightening......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back