Welcome to PatsFans.com

Goodell to ban alcohol sales in NFL stadiums

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by theKrafty1tar, May 24, 2008.

1. theKrafty1tar

theKrafty1tar On the Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

During his speech (which was on NFL network today) Goodell said that they are going to "make it a safe day for all for fans from when they enter the parking lot" until "they get home safely"

He is going to ban drinking during tailgating and the sale of beer during the game... He also said he was going to "look into" the secondary ticket market. I think we are all in trouble... Too bad people cant handle their alcohol and have to ruin it for everyone...

EDIT: I got this info on a NY Giants board, and on Fox Sports radio, and Goodell threatened to ban alcohol at NFL stadiums if the fans don't improve their conduct. He wants to implement a fan conduct policy

Mods: I looked on the main board, and didn't see a thread about this- I thought it was important enough to post in this area, please move it to the main board

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  2. TN Patriot

TN Patriot On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That sounds a bit far fetched. He can't stop drinking in places outside of his control, he is not the law.

3. Kdo5

Kdo5 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +104 / 8 / -7

Great idea! We all know how Prohibition worked.

4. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +701 / 0 / -3

Yeah, NFL owners will be real eager to embrace that loss of profit. 50,000 fans x average of (at least) 3 beers each x $5 (or more) profit per beer x 10 home games = anarchy in the NFL and a coup d'etat of the commisioner's office.

5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 11 / -21

#61 Jersey

I don't believe this for a moment. Actually, I would be in the minority of fans who would welcome a ban on beer sales at games -- too many interruptions with idiots going to and from their seats to get beer and pee. (I don't drink at games.) But no way in hell they could or would try to ban drinking in the parking lots while tailgating.

6. blackglass3

blackglass3 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

They might as well ban eating while tailgating. I don't think it will happen.

7. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,633 / 33 / -55

No Jersey Selected

There is no way this is true.

8. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

"BOY EATS OWN HEAD!!!!"

9. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Yeah right. Not to mention the $$$ the NFL gets from the likes of Anheuser-Busch and Miller to name a few.:rolleyes:

10. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,355 / 22 / -14

Disable Jersey

Amen. In the old stadium we had great seats but the best seats in the row in front of us were filled with 20 somethings who'd always arrive at the END of the 1st QTR. Much of the 1st half was an endless shuttle in and out for more beer. They also often left early. I forget which game but they missed at least one great comeback game by the Pats. The girl would end up making out with her boyfriend during half the game. She was a major Bledsoe Krishna and I was a critic. She and the 3 guys would spend the game turning around looking daggers at me whenever I shouted "Throw the ball to the blue team, Drew. The BLUE team."

That aside, no frakin way that owners ban beer sales. Goody loses his job first.

11. Bigdogx

Bigdogx On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It could very easily happen, at tangle wood they would have security and cops circling their lots and any open containers would be confiscated. Unless you were hiding it pretty good they would find it and take it 85% of the time.

When you start to have people jumping off bridges and acting like retards something needs to be done. Really sucks that the few idiots who think they need to have a 24 pack before entering the stadium for a game is needed, but they will be the ones ruining the thing that made NFL games so unique vs. other sports, not goodell!

I seen this coming and i think without question very soon we will be seeing a very different approach to what will be allowed in their lots and in their stadium. The outside lots they will not have control over, but im sure they will find someway to police those also.

12. stlrtruck

stlrtruck Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The commish has too many other issues he needs to take care of.

The fans, as far as I can tell, have been taking care of themselves for more than 30 years. Before he tries to control them, he should get a handle on the league.

13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +816 / 7 / -2

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They'll never ban alchohol sales. They might ban it during tailgating, but only so they can sell more of their own $10 bottles of swill.

14. SmokeShowin

SmokeShowin Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  15. Tedy54

Tedy54 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This is the first time that I have agreed with anything Goodell has said, or done, since he became King.

I see no need for alcohol to be served at sporting events. Why cant people just go to the games, enjoy the games, cheer for their team without having to use alcohol to be the means for them to be involved?

And, alcohol is a killer, too.

If someone cant go three or four hours without a beer, then they really need to seek professional help.

And, secondary ticket sales need to be controlled. The face value of the tickets are too high to begin with without some scalper tripling, or quadrupling, the cost.

Other than that, i think Goodell is la total A S S

16. Dino 6 Rings

Dino 6 Rings Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think stopping the sale of beer at the start of the 4th quarter is something he may try to impose. That way, people have about an hour to "sober up" and the NFL can't be held liable if some jackhole gets tanked and drives into a crowd of people in the parking lot. But I'd also guess this is something the owners would have to agree to, and that's a lot of money for those teams to consider losing.

17. Tedy54

Tedy54 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The safety of the fans and avoiding altercations that come about from the sale of alcoholic beverages at sporting events should be more important than more greed.

So raise the price of a hot dog by a quarter and a coke by a half buck. In either case, alcohol has no place at events that are attended by children, including sporting events.

The NFL can ban alcohol in the stadium and the stadium parking lot but can not do it in private parking lots.

I can hear the scream from the beer companies now.

18. Dino 6 Rings

Dino 6 Rings Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I understand your point, but I'd rather people be responsible for themselves and not have to be regulated. If you get drunk and get stupid, go to jail, your bad.

If you're asking for all alcohol sales be banned at all Professional Sporting events, well I just think that'll never happen.

19. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +120 / 20 / -16

Who remembers the LA Beer days of the early 80's?

In the late 70's early 80's Foxboro got out of control on more than one occasion. I remember the drunking Monday night game against the Steelers
    on Labor day 1979. Gates opened at noon for a 9pm game.

I am not sure if it was the league, Foxboro or the Sullivans decision.
    The stopped the sale of real beer and only sold LA "low alcohol" beer
    for a couple years.

In 1987 They started selling real beer again after an ownership change.