PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell sets up VP of "social responsibility"...

Joker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This sounds so 21st century American it hurts

brady-face-palm-o.gif

These "training" sessions crack me up. 1% of players smack their wives and girlfriends around so 100% of players have to go to seminars and spend an entire afternoon being told it's not ok to smack your wife or girlfriend around.

VP of Damage Control would be a better title. The league wasn't going to do a damn thing about any of this until the backlash got too hot for their white collars.

Good luck dealing with the ****storm that will definitely come with Peterson's reinstatement.

The league needs to develop clear guidelines how to deal with players that are in unclear legal situations. Due process is important, but if there is anything that I learned from the Dennard situation it is that given a good enough lawyer you can move around your court dates almost as you please. Thus, often a case needs over 1-2 years to be resolved while the team can ignore the morality of the situation and keep on making money by letting potential child/woman abusers appear in prime time.

It is one thing if the situation is unclear/ambiguous but in the Peterson case there are pictures and what amounts to a confession. Letting him play in this situation is essentially the league saying that if it is legally ok we don't care what he did to his son. This is cowardice at the highest level.

If Goodell et al really care about values then they need to communicate that without any compromise. Otherwise just stop with those empty gestures and meaningless titles.

If this had happened before the feces hit the fan, I'd almost applaud it. But, now it's so transparently reactionary that it's just laughable. He has virtually zero credibility with anyone other than the owners.

If this had happened before the feces hit the fan, I'd almost applaud it. But, now it's so transparently reactionary that it's just laughable. He has virtually zero credibility with anyone other than the owners.
Comments like this baffle me. The league faced an unprecedented situation with the Ray Rice video and took a tremendous amount of heat for their poor handling - and they admitted the handled it poorly.

Now that they step up to do the right thing, people complain that they are just being "reactionary." So I guess you think they just shouldn't do anything then? After all, anything they do is "reactionary" so they should just continue as before?

Comments like this baffle me. The league faced an unprecedented situation with the Ray Rice video and took a tremendous amount of heat for their poor handling - and they admitted the handled it poorly.

Now that they step up to do the right thing, people complain that they are just being "reactionary." So I guess you think they just shouldn't do anything then? After all, anything they do is "reactionary" so they should just continue as before?

Domestic violence has been around for as long as people have lived together in domiciles. These things have been happening in the NFL for a long time, we just didn't know about them before because now we have endless social media and a whole industry built on spreading images, videos, and stories to as many eyeballs as advertisers are willing to pay for.

The issue isn't that they're being reactionary. If they were going to be reactionary, they could have done this in the 60's and 70's when the same things were happening but no one outside of the team and league knew about it. They're being reactionary to the sudden view from the public. So let's not give them any credit as some moral authority who's "stepping up to do the right thing". They're doing damage control because they can't hide these cretins anymore.

These "training" sessions crack me up. 1% of players smack their wives and girlfriends around so 100% of players have to go to seminars and spend an entire afternoon being told it's not ok to smack your wife or girlfriend around.

Better to do it beforehand than after the fact. I'm skeptical that such training sessions really make a difference; I tend to think they're more for liability's sake than anything.

I just think it's a little absurd that they made up a new title and handed it to a current employee. It's not like they added someone who will be focusing on this sort of thing, which would at least be somewhat praiseworthy. Instead, it's strictly a cynical PR move.

Good luck dealing with the ****storm that will definitely come with Peterson's reinstatement.

It is one thing if the situation is unclear/ambiguous but in the Peterson case there are pictures and what amounts to a confession. Letting him play in this situation is essentially the league saying that if it is legally ok we don't care what he did to his son. This is cowardice at the highest level.

If Goodell et al really care about values then they need to communicate that without any compromise. Otherwise just stop with those empty gestures and meaningless titles.
Good Lord, we are literally fewer than 100 hours removed from the Peterson revelation and people are already criticizing the league for not chopping his head off.

I'm not saying they should wait for the entire legal process to resolve, but nor should they start throwing out suspensions based on nothing beyond initial media reports.

Better to do it beforehand than after the fact.
You're absolutely right - but it's better to do it after the fact than not at all.

The OP can speak for himself, but I read his comment as suggesting that what would have widely been viewed as the right thing to do a few weeks ago now has a hollow ring to it.
That's pretty close to my own take with the addition that Goodell has lost so much credibility that it's difficult to believe that this is now anything more than window dressing. But, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they do something like stand by and not intervene when the Vikings re-instate Peterson.

Better to do it beforehand than after the fact. I'm skeptical that such training sessions really make a difference; I tend to think they're more for liability's sake than anything.
Oh that's absolutely what they are for. I can't help but think about the business world. When a woman sues for sexual harassment her lawyer loves to tell the judge and jury that company ABC encourages sexual harassment because they don't have any prevention training in place. So companies institute training policies and all the rest of us need to waste hours being told that it's inappropriate to send pictures of out genitalia to co-workers.

The OP can speak for himself, but I read his comment as suggesting that what would have widely been viewed as the right thing to do a few weeks ago now has a hollow ring to it.

I made a similar point to my girlfriend recently. I get mad when she tells me, "Don't forget to get me flowers for Valentine's Day." or some other such 'reminder', because I was already going to get them. Of course I was, I'm not an ignoramus, I know the drill. But multiple times this has happened, and then later we'll be with friends and they'll say, "Nice flowers!" only for her to say, "Of course I had to REMIND him to get them, or he never would have."

Cool Story Bro Short: Once circumstance forces your hand into doing something, you can never again get credit for it, even if you would have done it on your own. Goodell cannot claim the high ground now for this, because his chance to be proactive about it is long gone.

That's pretty close to my own take with the addition that Goodell has lost so much credibility that it's difficult to believe that this is now anything more than window dressing. But, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they do something like stand by and not intervene when the Vikings re-instate Peterson.

The NFL is not a social gathering, and it's not a moral arbiter. It certainly has no business serving as a secondary policing force. The problem isn't that the NFL hasn't done enough. The problem is that the NFL was already meddling far too much.

I made a similar point to my girlfriend recently. I get mad when she tells me, "Don't forget to get me flowers for Valentine's Day." or some other such 'reminder', because I was already going to get them. Of course I was, I'm not an ignoramus, I know the drill. But multiple times this has happened, and then later we'll be with friends and they'll say, "Nice flowers!" only for her to say, "Of course I had to REMIND him to get them, or he never would have."

Cool Story Bro Short: Once circumstance forces your hand into doing something, you can never again get credit for it, even if you would have done it on your own. Goodell cannot claim the high ground now for this, because his chance to be proactive about it is long gone.
I don't see anyone trying to claim any sort of moral high ground but let me ask you this: is it better to do the right thing later than you should have or not at all?

The league admitted they messed up, they acknowledged there is a problem and they're now taking steps to address the problem. For some reason, people are being critical of this.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

Wow, hilarious. We just want them to make better, more sensible decisions. But hey, why not instead pull a PR stunt and hire 3 women into ridiculously titled roles that likely will have no power or sway within the organization? Yeah, that's clearly a better way to go. Great move, Go_Odell.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back