PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell says there’s momentum for expanding the playoffs

Given that the owners recently renewed his contract for another five or more years, they apparently think he's doing quite a good job.
Nobody would dare argue against the job Goodell has done as a businessman for the NFL, the players and the owners financially. That said, that is one aspect of the performance appraisal of the commissioner's role.

FTR, I don't think Kraft should be given any leeway simply because he's the owner of the team I support. If he votes in favor of something I don't personally agree with, objectivity necessitates opposition.

When they added the extra wild card team many years ago, I didn't like it then but I could see the reasoning and it didn't change the extent of my viewing and it wouldn't this time either.

That being said, I would not be in favor of this and would certainly not be in favor of an additional Friday and Monday game.

I have not read one post on this topic that is actually in favor of expanding the playoffs and I just hope that Goodell doesn't spin this as "the fans want to see more football" as a means of justifying it. I would much rather it just be stated that the extra revenue warrants it and be done with it. Don't patronize or insult me with a politically motivated stance.

And while I hate Rodger, this is nothing about him, people who blame him for this are morons. This is all the owners, blame them if you want, otherwise don't shoot the messenger.

When they are/were considering an 18 game season, Goodell stated that this is what the fans wanted when in fact, the fans were in favor of reducing the preseason games. Go sell your snake oil somewhere else Roger; just give me the facts and truth.

I am in favor of another playoff game. I love watching football, and a couple more playoff games would be amazing. All this complaining belongs in a baseball forum, not in a football forum. The NFL is not perfect, it has changed a bunch since I was a kid and it will keep changing as owners find more ways to make it more successful. If you don't like it don't watch, I don't care, although you will and the rest is just the wailing of old women.

And while I hate Rodger, this has nothing at all to do with him, it is 100% the owners. If you can't get that you probably shouldn't be allowed to post here.

Given that the owners recently renewed his contract for another five or more years, they apparently think he's doing quite a good job.

It's generally bad for a sport when the ownership side is thrilled with the commissioner. That usually means that he's gone way too far into the tank for them. That certainly seems to be the case with the current NFL headman, who really might as well just put on the clown shoes before addressing anything that isn't owner revenue related.

It's generally bad for a sport when the ownership side is thrilled with the commissioner. That usually means that he's gone way too far into the tank for them. That certainly seems to be the case with the current NFL headman, who really might as well just put on the clown shoes before addressing anything that isn't owner revenue related.
Yeah the NFL has really suffered during Goodell's tenure. Not a single franchise relocation (compared to the laughable game of musical chairs which took place under Tagliabue). Record ratings. Only 24 of the top 25 TV shows from this past fall were NFL games. Obviously, he should be 25-for-25!!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah the NFL has really suffered during Goodell's tenure. Not a single franchise relocation (compared to the laughable game of musical chairs which took place under Tagliabue). Record ratings. Only 24 of the top 25 TV shows from this past fall were NFL games. Obviously, he should be 25-for-25!!!! :rolleyes:

You sound like an NFL franchise owner instead of a fan.

Just look what happens to the week 17 games if we add a playoff team. In the NFC Arizona is in already and "rests." In the AFC there is no bye for the #2 seed, so Cincy and Indy have no bye hope and might "rest" since they can't get a bye. If the Ravens still lose against the Bengals 2nd string, the team that went 0-6 to start the season proves that the early season is irrelevant.

The question is not whether the NFL has suffered, the question is whether football has suffered.

You sound like an NFL franchise owner instead of a fan.
That's because in these types of things, unlike most fans, I am able to make a dispassionate evaluation. And there is really no impartial evaluation that could conclude Goodell is doing a bad job. NFL is experiencing record popularity and record revenue.

Just look what happens to the week 17 games if we add a playoff team. In the NFC Arizona is in already and "rests." In the AFC there is no bye for the #2 seed, so Cincy and Indy have no bye hope and might "rest" since they can't get a bye. If the Ravens still lose against the Bengals 2nd string, the team that went 0-6 to start the season proves that the early season is irrelevant.
This is a silly statement. This is the NFL, not college. Any given set of 6 games are equally important no matter when they take place (obviously divisional and conference games are more important but the timing those games takes place doesn't matter).

I don't like the idea of expanding the playoffs but some of the argument in opposition are simply made up, untrue nonsense.

That's because in these types of things, unlike most fans, I am able to make a dispassionate evaluation. And there is really no impartial evaluation that could conclude Goodell is doing a bad job. NFL is experiencing record popularity and record revenue.
So that's the only means of appraisal you're going to hang your hat on? Popularity and revenue?

If you're going to say you're capable of making dispassionate evaluation of Goodell's performance, you're going to need to open up the evaluation.

The question is not whether the NFL has suffered, the question is whether football has suffered.
That makes no sense. Goodell job is to work for the owners of the NFL and it cannot be rationally argued that he is doing a bad job.

So that's the only means of appraisal you're going to hang your hat on? Popularity and revenue?
"Only means"? Of course not. But those are pretty much the 2 most important ones. What exactly do you think the owners are looking at when evaluating his performance? They're looking at popularity and revenue, period, end of story.
If you're going to say you're capable of making dispassionate evaluation of Goodell's performance, you're going to need to open up the evaluation.
I'm perfectly willing to consider other criteria, but only with the understanding that the vast majority of what the owners care about is covered under "popularity and revenue".

"Only means"? Of course not. But those are pretty much the 2 most important ones. What exactly do you think the owners are looking at when evaluating his performance? They're looking at popularity and revenue, period, end of story.
I'm perfectly willing to consider other criteria, but only with the understanding that the vast majority of what the owners care about is covered under "popularity and revenue".
I don't particularly care for just the owners perspective. That completely disregards the perspectives of the players, partners and the fans.

That makes no sense. Goodell job is to work for the owners of the NFL and it cannot be rationally argued that he is doing a bad job.

The NFL is an interesting and unusual organization because it is the rule-making body, the manager of the professional league, and an entire commercial entity all rolled into one. If we take your perspective that it is a commercial enterprise first and foremost, then yes whatever makes the most profit is a pretty good metric for performance.

But by that theory, the NFL could turn into Americal Idol tomorrow with live auditions for the players and a viewer voting contest to determine which among the losers to save for the playoffs. It could well be the case that this model is even more profitable but it would have no resemblance to the essence of the sport at all.

So the question is whether the office of the commissioner is mainly to look solely at the money-making interest of the NFL as a commercial entity or rather to ensure the integrity of football as a sport. My perspective is that it should be the latter because there are enough forces acting on behalf of the former that to not have any pushback on that from the commissioner's office is going to ultimately be detrimental to the sport.

I think it is a bad idea to expand the playoffs. The current format for the playoffs (6 teams in the AFC and 6 teams in the NFC) is good enough. I don't want to see the playoffs get watered down and become less competitive. Thus, I don't think they should expand the playoffs. However, if they must expand then they should expand the regular season from the current 16 games to 17 or 18 games. Nevertheless, I am happy with how everything is set up from the regular season down to the playoffs format.

I don't particularly care for just the owners perspective. That completely disregards the perspectives of the players, partners and the fans.

Well, given the record NFL popularity and revenue, apparently the "perspective of the fans" is that things are going really well.

Well, the subject of this part of the discussion is how well Goodell is doing in his role as commissioner. So sorry, but the owners' perspective is kinda important when discussing that.

But by that theory, the NFL could turn into Americal Idol tomorrow with live auditions for the players and a viewer voting contest to determine which among the losers to save for the playoffs. It could well be the case that this model is even more profitable but it would have no resemblance to the essence of the sport at all.
The ridiculousness of this analogy pretty effectively destroys any point you are trying to make.

Well, given the record NFL popularity and revenue, apparently the "perspective of the fans" is that things are going really well.
The NFL is the NFL. Like the AFL in Australia, it is always going to be top dog.

Well, the subject of this part of the discussion is how well Goodell is doing in his role as commissioner. So sorry, but the owners' perspective is kinda important when discussing that.
This suspiciously reads like the opinion of someone not prepared to investigate further claims and open up the discussion. That, is rather important.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back