PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell says playoffs could expand to 14 or 16 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's all adding up: Roger Stuffed Shirt wants to turn the NFL into the NBA with pads. His "bright ideas" include:

* An 18-game regular season that would ensure even greater injury-driven roster turnover. :mad:

* Progressively rendering defensive play obsolete. :mad:

* Teams in Europe, of all frucking places. :mad:

* Getting rid of kickoffs. :mad:

* And now, ensuring that undeserving teams make the playoffs. :mad:

Someone, please, remove this man. His predecessor just made him the laughingstock we know he's been all along.

It's all adding up: Roger Stuffed Shirt wants to turn the NFL into the NBA with pads. His "bright ideas" include:

* An 18-game regular season that would ensure even greater injury-driven roster turnover. :mad:

* Progressively rendering defensive play obsolete. :mad:

* Teams in Europe, of all frucking places. :mad:

* Getting rid of kickoffs. :mad:

* And now, ensuring that undeserving teams make the playoffs. :mad:

Someone, please, remove this man. His predecessor just made him the laughingstock we know he's been all along.
The only thing I could possibly add to this would be the following: Fire the man and give him season tickets to he raiders. I'm mostly thinking they are a fairly unsuccessful franchise and that the fans will give him his due ;).

The man (Goodell) is an idiot. That's all I have to say about him now, and likely in the future.

How the hell could you have 7 teams in each conference in the playoffs anyway? What would that bracket be like?

Mmm when he says "14 or 16", he really means 16 or 16, but by throwing a 14 in there he keeps it closer to the current 12 and a less radical idea.

See, it will only expand 2 teams, let's get discussion going, then =wham= the ole bait and switch.

Lawyers screw up everything.

I wish Goodell would just go away at this point.

Between this hairbrained idea and the 18 game season idiocy it seems as if he is trying to kill the sport.

Goodell isn't a lawyer. And the ideas aren't his, they are owners. Bob Kraft was a strong proponent for the 18 game season. And back in 2003 he was THE prime proponent of playoff expansion to 14 teams.

Goodell isn't a lawyer. And the ideas aren't his, they are owners. Bob Kraft was a strong proponent for the 18 game season. And back in 2003 he was THE prime proponent of playoff expansion to 14 teams.

uh...that's a tad bit disingenuous....

The NFL has actually entertained a 14-team playoff. Patriots owner Robert Kraft co-sponsored a rules proposal with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2003 that would have expanded the playoffs to 14 teams. But the proposal was never voted on by the teams and was withdrawn due to lack of support.

A modest proposal for the NFL playoffs - Christopher Gasper's Blog - Boston sports news - Boston.com

Gasper elucidates the whys and wherefores of a 14 team playoff format pretty well...and while certain owners have been broaching the expansion subject the past decade it most certainly is Goodell's ideas on the hows and whys that are being brought to the owners table.

edit: BTW, I respect your viewpoint vis a vis Goodell...we are on opposite sides of the fence concerning this person and I'm willing to leave it at that. We are never going to change each other's minds. The real story will only come out when we're both sitting in rocker chairs, sipping sherry and watching the sun set as Tom Brady's son leads the Pats to their 10th Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Greed sucks.

It's really telling that people who love football and cannot get enough of it don't want 18 game season's and expanded play-offs.

I wish this guy would quit trying to mess with everything that is already fine with the game.

I haven't looked at the 14 team playoff format, but the idea of making 50% of the teams eligible for the playoffs with 16 teams is stupid..not to mention the idea of taking away the bye week and most of the incentive for doing well in the regular season.

I don't remember hearing too much about Rozelle and Tagliabue when they were commissioners, and I certainly can't say the same about Roger Goodell.

You shouldn't mess with things when they are working just fine in my opinion.

Re: Goodell says playoffs could expand

Here's an idea:

1. We extend the regular season to 18 games. Teams are already worn tissue-paper thin by game 12 or so, and can barely band-aid together a roster. 18 games will bring them to their knees.

2. We then let ALL 32 teams into the playoffs. Why stop at 16? Let them fight it out? After all, the goal is to get as many games televised as possible, in order to generate more revenue. Nothing else matters.

Moron.

The players don't need concussion protection nearly as much as Goodell does.
The players, the fans, but especially the Game need protection from goodell.

Last edited:
Re: Goodell says playoffs could expand

The players, the game, and the fans need protection from goodell
url

I wish this guy would quit trying to mess with everything that is already fine with the game.

I haven't looked at the 14 team playoff format, but the idea of making 50% of the teams eligible for the playoffs with 16 teams is stupid..not to mention the idea of taking away the bye week and most of the incentive for doing well in the regular season.

I don't remember hearing too much about Rozelle and Tagliabue when they were commissioners, and I certainly can't say the same about Roger Goodell.

I hear ya, i made that point a few times a couple of years ago, you very rarely heard about taggs or rozell. The game ran smoothly. Since goody took over hes Always in the news meddling with the game whether its player fines, taking away draft picks, or changing the rules and structure of the game itself. He needs to go, the owners need to get rid of him.

Last edited:

This is how I see it. Look at the teams that would be in and you see clearly how bad the idea is.

If they go this route, it would make more sense to scrap the AFC/NFC playoffs and have a legitimate knockout competition involving teams from both conferences who could end up playing each other from the early rounds. Would stop the silly current system where the two best teams could both be AFC teams but only one gets to the SB.

The Championship games are meaningless anyway.

If they go this route, it would make more sense to scrap the AFC/NFC playoffs and have a legitimate knockout competition involving teams from both conferences who could end up playing each other from the early rounds. Would stop the silly current system where the two best teams could both be AFC teams but only one gets to the SB.

The Championship games are meaningless anyway.

The problem is once you start talking about different alternatives, nothing seems to be quite as good as the system that they already have in place right now.

It's been working for years, and while not flawless--there are just too many unanswered questions in scenarios like the one that you propose.

I see the same problem happening with the KO talk. I think they should just leave that alone too, especially after moving it up to reduce player hits etc. It seems to be working just fine, yet now we've got to go and mess with it again.

Too many changes with this Goodell character. He may not realize it, but the game has been going on just fine without his interference for quite some time now.

Im surprised he does not host an "Ancient Aliens" show on the history channel at this point.

Last edited:
Yeah. We just gave you the sport.

You're welcome by the way :)

Is that why I've been having difficulty kicking my new football around the soccer field?

I thought something may have been wrong with this whole concept, but I couldn't figure out what I was doing incorrectly :rocker:

i do not like at all this idea

am i probably too old to like the NFL as it is today ?

I hear ya, i made that point a few times a couple of years ago, you very rarely heard about taggs or rozell. The game ran smoothly. Since goody took over hes Always in the news meddling with the game whether its player fines, taking away draft picks, or changing the rules and structure of the game itself. He needs to go, the owners need to get rid of him.

Apparently you slept through 2006 when the league was on the verge of a lockout because owners were infighting over revenue sharing and finally signed a lousy CBA they opted out of 2 years later.

Tagliabue was the classic back room lawyer commissioner. One of the reasons he has no support for the HOF is the belief he did little (unless you count ignoring growing concern over concussions) more than babysit the game. Most of his time in office and all of Rozelle's came before the internet age of 24/7 media coverage and fan discussion of what went on behind the scenes.

Goodell was elected based on the belief that greedy and/or self absorbed owners needed both a front man to protect them from fan and media ire and from themselves as well as each other. What happened today is owners discussed what some of them want to do and Roger takes the heat for floating their trial baloon.

Goodell said that the owners “teed up” the issue of expanding the playoffs from 12 to 14 or 16 teams, and that the discussions will continue in the coming months.

We've all heard our beloved owner wax poetic about a team in London. Somehow though when we decry the concept it's all Goodell's idea. In a way it reminds me of how our coordinators and position coaches are portrayed annually as incompetent idiots working for the greatest HC in a generation...

The owners want an 18 game schedule but the players union doesn't. This is his way of appeasing his bosses, all the NFL Team owners who want to generate more revenue. The poor bastards are starving and will soon be on the street, living under a bridge routine. Pure greed on the owners. Goodell can't leave well enough alone he just has to meddle like an idiot trying to figure out a Rubik's Cube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back