PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell: NFL is thinking about making the draft a 4-day event

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should begin the draft on February 20th and allow for five picks each day at primetime until all seven rounds have completed. Now that would be awesome.

Why so many picks each night? o_O

Goodell: NFL is thinking about making the draft a 4-day event - CBSSports.com

I truly can't stand Goodell. The draft should be happening this weekend, instead it's spread over 3 days in May (the month they would like to move it to permanently so they can monopolize another month). Now he wants it spread over 4 days in yet another transparent money grab. My interest in this years draft is the lowest it's been in over 20 years thanks to the new format. How much more can he water down everything about the game?

Don't even get me started on his idiotic idea to expand the playoffs.

In their zeal to make as much money as humanly possible, the NFl is glutting the market to the point where even their most devoted fans will be come thoroughly sick of them and stop watching every little twitch and tickle presented as NFL news and eantertainment. I, who am not among the most devoted of fans, am already there, but my disgust threshold is quite low.

3 days was too much.
4 days is just twisting the knife.
I used to look forward to watching the draft. Not so much now. The only fun thing was watching the Jets fans and even that is getting old.
The whole dog and pony show atmosphere is turning me off too.
I think I'll just hang out here and get the results.

Truer words were never spoken. The people whining the loudest are the hardcore fans and everyone knows they will be watching anyway.

The NFL moved their marquee offseason event into a TV "sweeps" month. This is hardly the sign of the devil at play. It actually makes quite a bit of sense to anyone who thinks about it.

It makes sense for whom? Goody? The owners? The players? It doesn't seem to have much support here from the fans. I'm sure if the added revenue were used to keep the cost of a ticket down then I'd support it wholeheartedly. (I like that word)

All ball busting aside, it is impressive how much knowledge and insight the draftniks have here.
I haven't watched a college game in many years, even when my sons attended college. The NCAA turns me off. That's why I value the opinions of those "draftniks" that post here. The first time I hear about the players is here and the first time I see them is when they get selected by an NFL team.

Dear Mr Goodell,

YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

Leave my damned Draft alone!!!!

Leave the playoffs alone, enough penalizing celebrations, enough with changing how tackling is done

And for once and all stop entertaining these BOGUS witch-hunts into the Patriots affairs!!!!

Signed,
Everyone

I did state I'm a fan and will watch. I can also ***** about it. I have the luxury of doing both. Fan input does have an effect, wether you believe it or not.
*****ing and moaning will have no effect if you watch the thing anyway. If the ratings for the draft are high, then you should expect more of the same. If the ratings are low, then it will probably be moved back to mid-April.
I haven't said a word about expanded playoffs, 18 games or London in any post on this site. The subject is making the draft a 4 day-event and the draft being held in May, which hasn't happened since I believe 1979' and is a relevent sidebar, as is Goodell being an egocentric narcissist.
This is the kind of comment that baffles me. All the hatred for Goodell makes no sense when he is just an employee of the league and has very, very little real power over these things without ownership's direct approval.
Not really sure if your a Goodell apologist or just someone who likes to straddle the fence to be antagonistic. Either way I think my point about Roger is clear. I don't like him. Trying to lump Kraft in with him as bait still doesn't expose your opinions on those matters, so that is clever. Where do you stand on these subjects? Or do you have no opinion other than to question other posters stances on these proposals?
What I am doing is exposing the ridiculousness of the idiots who hate Goodell for all these things when all Goodell is doing is exactly what he was hired to do. Anyone who says Goodell is an ******* for all these changes while not giving any criticism to owners - and yes that includes Bob Kraft - is a moron.

If you don't want playoff expansion, don't criticize Goodell, criticize the owners (and yes that includes Lord Robert of House Kraft).
If you want an earlier draft, don't criticize Goodell, criticize the owners (and yes that includes Lord Robert of House Kraft).
If you don't want games in London, don't criticize Goodell, criticize the owners (and yes that includes Lord Robert of House Kraft).

In this forum, Goodell is seen by many as Satan for all these changes and owners are given a completely free pass when they are the ones to blame.

Last edited:
It makes sense for whom? Goody? The owners? The players?
Yes, all of the above. If they get great ratings during sweeps period, they get to generate additional revenue, which is what this is all about.
It doesn't seem to have much support here from the fans.
We will see in roughly 2 weeks how much support it has from the fans.

I have a feeling that despite all the whining and crybabying, we will see ratings as high as ever.

If this forum and all us "morons" cause you so much pain that you MUST vomit up these pathetic , bleating defenses of your obvious love interest, then you should seriously consider LEAVING here and taking up residence somewhere else. Try Goodell's colon.

If this forum and all us "morons" cause you so much pain that you MUST vomit up these pathetic , bleating defenses of your obvious love interest, then you should seriously consider LEAVING here and taking up residence somewhere else. Try Goodell's colon.
This from a guy who swore he put in his "ignore" file. ROFLOL It's obvious you cannot intelligently refute a single point I made. All you have is personal attacks. If you don't like what I have to say, please feel free to ignore all my comments. But you don't have the self discipline to do that.

Every single major NFL change that has been implemented or is being discussed falls 100% on the shoulders of the 32 owners (and yes that includes Lord Robert of House Kraft). 18 game seasons, expanded playoffs, London games, May draft day, ticket prices, Thursday Night Football, etc, etc. Anyone who bashes Goodell for such things while ignoring owners is simply a fool. It would be like blaming a QB when the coach decides to punt on 4th and 1.

*****ing and moaning will have no effect if you watch the thing anyway. If the ratings for the draft are high, then you should expect more of the same. If the ratings are low, then it will probably be moved back to mid-April.
This is the kind of comment that baffles me. All the hatred for Goodell makes no sense when he is just an employee of the league and has very, very little real power over these things without ownership's direct approval.
What I am doing is exposing the ridiculousness of the idiots who hate Goodell for all these things when all Goodell is doing is exactly what he was hired to do. Anyone who says Goodell is an ******* for all these changes while not giving any criticism to owners - and yes that includes Bob Kraft - is a moron.

If you don't want playoff expansion, don't criticize Goodell, criticize the owners (and yes that includes Lord Robert of House Kraft).
If you want an earlier draft, don't criticize Goodell, criticize the owners (and yes that includes Lord Robert of House Kraft).
If you don't want games in London, don't criticize Goodell, criticize the owners (and yes that includes Lord Robert of House Kraft).

In this forum, Goodell is seen by many as Satan for all these changes and owners are given a completely free pass when they are the ones to blame.

You're like a broken record with this, acting like you've broken some secret code. Congratulations on being the only one to figure out Goodell works for the league. What you don't seem to understand is Goodell is the one who is out front and center putting his name and his face to all these ridiculous proposals so he is the one who is going to get criticized. He also has way more autonomy than you think he does.

If Kraft and any of the other owners put their name and face to one of these proposals and they'll be criticized also. Kraft wants a team in London? Good for him - It's a stupid idea.

You do seem to have the same kind of unreasonable hatred towards Kraft that you accuse others of having with Goodell. Strange for a assumed Patriot fan.

Being a Patriot fan, I have every reason to dislike Goodell, starting with the whole spygate fiasco ******** that Goodell used to make a name for himself, the changes to the game he's spearheading as well as his overall unlikeability and arrogance.

You're like a broken record with this,
I am no more of a "broken record" than the people who give the same tired old bash-Goodell routine everytime the guy sneezes.
acting like you've broken some secret code. Congratulations on being the only one to figure out Goodell works for the league.
Oh, I am not the only one who has figured it out - but tons of people in here clearly haven't.
What you don't seem to understand is Goodell is the one who is out front and center putting his name and his face to all these ridiculous proposals so he is the one who is going to get criticized.
Exactly. That is part of his job: To be criticized by the ignorant masses who have no clue that his has virtually no real, autonomous authority on these matters.
He also has way more autonomy than you think he does.
Oh really? Keeping in mind that we are not talking about player or team discipline, what can he do autonomously? He can't implement Thursday Night Football, expanded playoffs, 18 game seasons, rule changes, schedule changes, policy changes, approve contracts or move games to London on his own.

Tell us: What has Goodell done autonomously that deserves criticism? (Please remember we are talking about league maneuvers, not discipline/punishment issues).
If Kraft and any of the other owners put their name and face to one of these proposals and they'll be criticized also. Kraft wants a team in London? Good for him - It's a stupid idea.
Don't be silly. The owners want to be seen as good guys so they let the ignorant masses blame Goodell for things which they want implemented.
You do seem to have the same kind of unreasonable hatred towards Kraft that you accuse others of having with Goodell. Strange for a assumed Patriot fan.
Don't be ridiculous. I like Kraft a great deal. I just recognize that when it comes to things like Thursday night football, expanded playoffs, 18 game seasons, rule changes (etc etc) that Bob Kraft deserves more blame/credit than Goodell.
Being a Patriot fan, I have every reason to dislike Goodell, starting with the whole spygate fiasco ******** that Goodell used to make a name for himself, the changes to the game he's spearheading as well as his overall unlikeability and arrogance.
And that's what this comes down to. Patriots fans still being butthurt over something that happened 7 years ago.

Yes, all of the above. If they get great ratings during sweeps period, they get to generate additional revenue, which is what this is all about.
We will see in roughly 2 weeks how much support it has from the fans.

I have a feeling that despite all the whining and crybabying, we will see ratings as high as ever.

You sir are exactly right.....ratings will be the highest. Just as last years TV ratings were sky high.

I cannot stand the draft in May, abhor the "touch football" rule changes, hates his so called "cleaning up the game", I am against changing the playoffs (in particular eliminating one of the byes sucks), I dont like the idea of an 18 game schedule (its coming), seriously, there is very little about what Goodell has done that I am in favor of (I realize he is the spokeman for the owners and has their total support).

Problem is, he has been very good for the NFL - revenues are at an all time high (thats why the owners love him of course), ratings as well. As much as I cannot stand the guy and seems like many others in here agree - the facts are that we are totally in the minority based on the many successes he has had since he took the reins.

It sucks but I have to give credit where credit is due.

I am no more of a "broken record" than the people who give the same tired old bash-Goodell routine everytime the guy sneezes.
Oh, I am not the only one who has figured it out - but tons of people in here clearly haven't.
Exactly. That is part of his job: To be criticized by the ignorant masses who have no clue that his has virtually no real, autonomous authority on these matters.
Oh really? Keeping in mind that we are not talking about player or team discipline, what can he do autonomously? He can't implement Thursday Night Football, expanded playoffs, 18 game seasons, rule changes, schedule changes, policy changes, approve contracts or move games to London on his own.

Tell us: What has Goodell done autonomously that deserves criticism? (Please remember we are talking about league maneuvers, not discipline/punishment issues).
Don't be silly. The owners want to be seen as good guys so they let the ignorant masses blame Goodell for things which they want implemented.
Don't be ridiculous. I like Kraft a great deal. I just recognize that when it comes to things like Thursday night football, expanded playoffs, 18 game seasons, rule changes (etc etc) that Bob Kraft deserves more blame/credit than Goodell.
And that's what this comes down to. Patriots fans still being butthurt over something that happened 7 years ago.

I never said he had the power to implement anything but don't kid yourself that he is merely a puppet for the owners. Do you really think Kraft is proposing a 4 day draft?

Keep screaming from the mountain top how you're so much smarter than all the "ignorant masses" because you've figured out something everybody already knows.

Last edited:
Goodell apaologist. Still don't like him.

Ahhh, Goodell apologist it is. He screwed us to make a name for himself. Still hate him.

herr-goodell.jpg

You sir are exactly right.....ratings will be the highest. Just as last years TV ratings were sky high.

I cannot stand the draft in May, abhor the "touch football" rule changes, hates his so called "cleaning up the game", I am against changing the playoffs (in particular eliminating one of the byes sucks), I dont like the idea of an 18 game schedule (its coming), seriously, there is very little about what Goodell has done that I am in favor of (I realize he is the spokeman for the owners and has their total support).

Problem is, he has been very good for the NFL - revenues are at an all time high (thats why the owners love him of course), ratings as well. As much as I cannot stand the guy and seems like many others in here agree - the facts are that we are totally in the minority based on the many successes he has had since he took the reins.

It sucks but I have to give credit where credit is due.

Football isn't thriving because of Goodell, it's thriving in spite of him. Fantasy football is what's driving it's popularity. Saying every move is good for the game because it generates more revenue is short sighted and dangerous.

This from a guy who swore he put in his "ignore" file. ROFLOL It's obvious you cannot intelligently refute a single point I made. All you have is personal attacks. If you don't like what I have to say, please feel free to ignore all my comments. But you don't have the self discipline to do that.

Every single major NFL change that has been implemented or is being discussed falls 100% on the shoulders of the 32 owners (and yes that includes Lord Robert of House Kraft). 18 game seasons, expanded playoffs, London games, May draft day, ticket prices, Thursday Night Football, etc, etc. Anyone who bashes Goodell for such things while ignoring owners is simply a fool. It would be like blaming a QB when the coach decides to punt on 4th and 1.

Rather than constantly referring to the owners and defending Goodell like your related to him, why not take a stance on some of these proposals?

Are you in favor of an 18 game schedule?
Do you think a team in London is good?
Do you like the draft in May?
Do you believe playoff expansion is a good thing?
Are you capable of having an opinion that differs from Roger and the owners?

Questioning authority is the very foundation this society is built on. I could give you some examples of why never doing it resulted in catastrophe. It's OK to form an opinion other than the one your told you need to have. Really, it is.

And why were on the owners, they did not tell him to drag our team through the mud and unjustifiably steal a first round pick from us. He did that all on his own. Hence my displeasure with him.

I never said he had the power to implement anything, don't kid yourself that he is merely a puppet for the owners. Do you really think Kraft is proposing a 4 day draft?
You said "He also has way more autonomy than you think he does." I am asking you for specific examples of things Goodell can do autonomously (not related to discipline issues), and you haven't provided a single example.
Keep screaming from the mountain top how you're so much smarter than all the "ignorant masses" because you've figured out something everybody already knows. It"s as sad as it is funny.
If "everyone knew it" I wouldn't have to scream it. But fact is there are plenty of ignorant masses out there who don't know it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back