PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell may have overstepped his bounds to help Rex Ryan bond with Santonio Holmes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Goodell may have overstepped his bounds to help Rex Ryan bond with Santonio Holme

i'd say the players are alot more to blame in all of this than the commish is

let's fire them all and start over

void all contracts, fire them all, then let's have a real huge free agency and see how hardline a hungry dog is then lol

it's about the name on the front, not the one on the back

believe that!

Are you kidding? The players would love that. This is exactly nwhat the players want. They want an unsalary-capped free-for-all!! And f you fire them, the big stars and, well, everybody, gets to keep their bonuses!! Brady and Wilfork just pocketed tens of million up front!

Re: Goodell may have overstepped his bounds to help Rex Ryan bond with Santonio Holme

i'd say the players are alot more to blame in all of this than the commish is

let's fire them all and start over

void all contracts, fire them all, then let's have a real huge free agency and see how hardline a hungry dog is then lol

it's about the name on the front, not the one on the back

believe that!

If this is truly your position, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about with regards to the situation.

I'm with you on that one. The first one is one of my all-time fav movies. The third one made me want to kill someone.

I was always surprised that anyone who had anything to do with Highlander II ever worked in the movies again.

Same with Caddyshack II.

I believe they are all some sort of social experiment.

So Goddell met with Rex and put his foot down?

let's fire every single player as well......

Goodell is heavily on the owners side, he has recently lied about the fans wanting an 18 game schedule putting works in our mouth, his discipline has been a pretty big joke, and he is obviously still a jets fan.

if Goodell was any good as a commissioner he would have reined in the owners AND the players and come up with a new CBA which is equally beneficial to both players and owners, alot of the blame on this issue goes directly on Goodell and im tired of making excuses for him.

That isnt to say the blame is solely on Goodell, Demaurice Smith has been equally or a greater Embarassment than Goodell because of his attitude and unwillingness to negotiate.

i think 90% of the players in the nfl would tell you they just want to be payed and a 2% adjustment in pay either way isnt going to make a huge differance to them, they will probably lose more money this season due to missing workout bonuses than they would have made on an 'owner favored' cba.

Goodell is heavily on the owners side, he has recently lied about the fans wanting an 18 game schedule putting works in our mouth, his discipline has been a pretty big joke, and he is obviously still a jets fan.

if Goodell was any good as a commissioner he would have reined in the owners AND the players and come up with a new CBA which is equally beneficial to both players and owners, alot of the blame on this issue goes directly on Goodell and im tired of making excuses for him.

That isnt to say the blame is solely on Goodell, Demaurice Smith has been equally or a greater Embarassment than Goodell because of his attitude and unwillingness to negotiate.

i think 90% of the players in the nfl would tell you they just want to be payed and a 2% adjustment in pay either way isnt going to make a huge differance to them, they will probably lose more money this season due to missing workout bonuses than they would have made on an 'owner favored' cba.
i always laugh at this, because if he was a jets fan, and there was some conspiracy , the jets would be sb champs

it's stupid

i always laugh at this, because if he was a jets fan, and there was some conspiracy , the jets would be sb champs

it's stupid

Another fantastic post. You're on a roll. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by jcdavey View Post

it's stupid

no it is NOT stupid...YOU are a blind moron...Goodell HAS done numerous things and made numerous decisions that have given the Jets an edge in the AFC. It's the Jets that have fallen flat on their faces at the doorstep to the AFC championship.

Last edited:

I'm with you on that one. The first one is one of my all-time fav movies. The third one made me want to kill someone.

A specific someone or just someone in general?

Goodell is employed by the owners. He is absolutely on their side; this is just a fact, and shouldn't be surprising or controversial to anyone.

it's stupid

C'mon, there is a lot of ground in between playing favorites with a team and fixing games to have that team win a Super Bowl. I don't think Goodell would blatantly break the rules for the Jets, but he might go out of his way to help them or look the other way a bit more than he would with another team. I still wonder with all the scandals that happened last year with the Jets that Goodell might have acted differently if it was another team.

C'mon, there is a lot of ground in between playing favorites with a team and fixing games to have that team win a Super Bowl. I don't think Goodell would blatantly break the rules for the Jets, but he might go out of his way to help them or look the other way a bit more than he would with another team. I still wonder with all the scandals that happened last year with the Jets that Goodell might have acted differently if it was another team.

i think it may come as a big surprise to you that most non pats fans believe the commish buried the spygate thing because he's a "pats supporter"

i hear the same crap from every fan base "the commish likes (our rival) boo hoo"

every single fan base....well cept for the packers lol

Originally Posted by jcdavey View Post

it's stupid

no it is NOT stupid...YOU are a blind moron...Goodell HAS done numerous things and made numerous decisions that have given the Jets an edge in the AFC. It's the Jets that have fallen flat on their faces at the doorstep to the AFC championship.

funny thing is, same thing is said by other fan bases about the pats and goodell lol

i think it may come as a big surprise to you that most non pats fans believe the commish buried the spygate thing because he's a "pats supporter"

i hear the same crap from every fan base "the commish likes (our rival) boo hoo"

every single fan base....well cept for the packers lol

It doesn't come as a supirse to me. I have always said that is proof that Goodell screwed up the whole thing since everyone on both side of the argument were upset with Goodell's decisions.

That said, allegations of a NY bias is not new. Goodell used to work for the Jets and grew up in Bronxville, NY. Odds are he grew up a Jets fan.

Both Peter King and Mike Florio has written about this story in the last 24 hours stating Goodell overstepped his bounds if Ryan's story is true. Both also agree that this might peiss off Holmes if he found out he was manipulated. King says that it will probably peiss off Goodell who is constantly trying to shed any allegation of NY bias.

Here's what Peter King wrote about this story:

1. I think Greg Bedard made a very strong point in his Boston Globe piece Sunday about the efficacy of the commissioner helping a coach play-act to build a good relationship with a player. That's what Jets coach Rex Ryan claims Goodell helped him do with Santonio Holmes before the season last year.

In his new book, Ryan wrote about getting Roger Goodell to come to the Jets' facility in New Jersey. Ryan said he told Goodell he wanted him to "rip my a-- in front of Santonio ... Then I asked if he would turn and give both barrels to Holmes ... He chewed us out, and I think it actually brought Holmes and me closer.'' As Bedard asks, what business is it of Goodell's to help a coach get closer to a player? Goodell told Bedard he was simply trying to help Holmes stay on the straight and narrow, and maybe that's his view of what happened. But it's certainly not how Ryan portrayed it.
Two other points: By Ryan writing about this the way he did, he's clearly not going to make the commissioner happy, because the way he writes about the nudge-nudge/wink-wink incident is going to draw the ire of teams around the league who think Goodell favors the New York franchises anyway. And when Holmes reads about this -- if he does -- how will he feel about his coach wrangling the commissioner into the building to play-act a scene to make Holmes feel closer to his coach?

2. I think it's one thing for Ryan to have done this, but to write about it totally compromises the effect of it with his player, and it certainly won't endear Ryan to him. Imagine Goodell doing a favor for a coach like that, and then Ryan crowing about what a great idea it was in his book.

Read more: Chiefs, Rams lend hand to tornado recovery effort in Joplin - Peter King - SI.com

That said, allegations of a NY bias is not new. Goodell used to work for the Jets and grew up in Bronxville, NY. Odds are he grew up a Jets fan.

there's a sticky up top on all this crap..so I'll make this short.

There are no "odds"...period. He grew up a Jets fan. His Senator father had a box for all Jet homes games as young Roger grew up through high school. I SAW hard copy security reports about 4 years about complaints filed at the Meadowlands against Goodell and his rowdy friends emanating from THAT specific box, including vulgar, derogatory insults to fans of opponents, throwing of objects and liquids and non specific menacing.

You want to SEE these hard copy reports today you'll have to file some kind of freedom of information writ, if this is possible. I don't know if one can.I asked for a copies at the time through a close friend who worked AT the Meadowlands but nothing ever came of it.

What this S.D. pinhead says about "every single fanbase thinks" is complete garbage. This is SPECIFIC to the New England Patriots, the New York Jets and Roger Goodell. There are enough smoking guns strewn across the sportscape since this broke to start a small war, starting the THURSDAY before the original "Spygate" game with Mangini visiting NFL offices in Manhattan at 3:30 p.m.---logged in.Goodell was present at that specific location all week.It's not too hard to see the connection,especially considering Mangini previously that preseason was asked to remove TWO cameras field side by Patriots officials (which he at first DENIED only to be proven a liar by hard copy news print) after which there was ZERO action or response by Goodell.

Read the sticky...read the timeline...and then try to spin "all other fans of other teams think the same!!!"...complete idiocy.

Last edited:

there's a sticky up top on all this crap..so I'll make this short.

There are no "odds"...period. He grew up a Jets fan. His Senator father had a box for all Jet homes games as young Roger grew up through high school. I SAW hard copy security reports about 4 years about complaints filed at the Meadowlands against Goodell and his rowdy friends emanating from THAT specific box, including vulgar, derogatory insults to fans of opponents, throwing of objects and liquids and non specific menacing.

You want to SEE these hard copy reports today you'll have to file some kind of freedom of information writ, if this is possible. I don't know if one can.I asked for a copies at the time through a close friend who worked AT the Meadowlands but nothing ever came of it.

What this S.D. pinhead says about "every single fanbase thinks" is complete garbage. This is SPECIFIC to the New England Patriots, the New York Jets and Roger Goodell. There are enough smoking guns strewn across the sportscape since this broke to start a small war, starting the THURSDAY before the original "Spygate" game with Mangini visiting NFL offices in Manhattan at 3:30 p.m.---logged in.Goodell was present at that specific location all week.It's not too hard to see the connection,especially considering Mangini previously that preseason was asked to remove TWO cameras field side by Patriots officials (which he at first DENIED only to be proven a liar by hard copy news print) after which there was ZERO action or response by Goodell.

Read the sticky...read the timeline...and then try to spin "all other fans of other teams think the same!!!"...complete idiocy.
next you'll be blaming goodell for the pats losing in the playoffs 3 times in a row....jesus

wrong..but I'm betting YOU will blame your utter lack of any form of reading comprehension on a head smashing fall to the concrete during an intense game of hacky sack on the Mission Beach boardwalk.

next you'll be blaming goodell for the pats losing in the playoffs 3 times in a row....jesus

I'm not sure if fans of other teams can understand how Pats fans feel about the entire Rat franchise. Before January 1997 I had no particular animosity towards them. You may think that the Pats-Rats animosity has always been there but it hasn't; at least for me, and I suspect most Pats fans.

Before then I referred to them as the "Jets", and they were just another divisional rival. I "hated" them in a sporting way, just like any other rival, but when the Rats tampered with Bill Parcells as we were getting ready to try and win our first Superbowl ever, that crossed a line into an act that was unforgivable and earned my scorn forever.

Now image someone showing you such blatant disregard and disrespect as if you don't count, you are of no more concern than the dirt on their shoes. All that mattered was getting a coach to help them break their long string of failure. That it hurt so many people who had worked so hard to get a chance to accomplish something gr8 was of no consideration to them. Tampering with our head coach was bad enough, but they couldn't even wait until AFTER the game was played and allow us to try and complete our goal. It wasn't as important as making sure that they got the coach for THEIR future.

Don't forget that up to that point, the Pats had had as pathetic a history as any franchise in any pro sport had ever had, and we were certainly not deserving of having our chance at winning a Superbowl derailed like this.

There has been no admission of fault or regret from that organization or their fan base, they just seem to have their entitled attitude so prevalent among fans of NY teams.

A San Diego fan, of all fan bases, should understand this. You know how hard it is to get to a Superbowl and how so many things need to go your way for it to happen.

Imagine how you would feel if the Chargers got to the Superbowl with Rivers, a pending free agent to be and winner of the MVP for the season, had the Broncos or Raiders contact him before the game about signing with them after the season; maybe they took him out and wined and dined him, and he seemed sluggish and possibly hung over and plays below par as the Chargers lose.

Now suppose that the Omissioner rules that these teams tampered and had illegal contact and docked each team a pick. How would that make YOU feel? You still lost the game!

Oh, and after that game the new Commisssioner is named and he has ties to the Raiders organization and the Raiders always have their transgressions ignored, while the Chargers are always being pursued for some transgression or other.

Back to the real life situation, Parcells ended up leaving the Pats; additionally, the Rats signed FA Curtis Martin to a "poison pill" contract that the Pats could not reasonably match. The Commissioner found the Rats owed the Pats damages and awarded the Pats some Rat draft picks, for which so many Rats fans seem to feel they were wronged by.

So fast forward to 2000 when Parcells is hemming and hawing about his future as the Rats head coach. The Pats are thought to be interested in hiring Bill Belichick, who followed Parcells to NY after the Rats tampered with Parcells, as their next head coach, and BB is thought to be interested.

Now the Rats still feel wronged by the Pats and don't want to let them have BB, even though there is nothing stopping him from taking the position, so they twist BB's arm to get him to sign a contract to be Parcells successor when he decides to step down. BB is so thrilled to be the next HC of the Rats that he resigns the next day after he is named HC.

The Commissioner found that BB was under contract to the Rats and the Pats would need to compensate the Rats. After a lot of wrangling the Pats finally agreed to pay a #1 pick to the Rats to have them release BB; in hindsight it was a bargain.

Now the Rats fans are dancing in the streets since they got a #1 pick for a guy who hadn't won anything and this was payback for them for Parcells and Martin since they somehow felt wronged by it.

Now the rest is history of course as BB authored a dynasty that is on the verge of beginning phase two.

Since then the Rats have tampered with Pats players who we were trying to re-sign such as Deion Branch and Lawyer Milloy, they have signed virtually every player who the Pats have cut, and even traded with the Lions to acquire Kevin O'Connell, since they claimed him before the Rats could. They have hired coaches away from us, such as Eric Mangini, and the Pats have never denied them to talk with a coach who was eligible for a promotion.

Not just the Rats have hired away our coaches either, and I defy you to find a team that has had to replace as many coaches as the Pats have had hired away from them. This is a burden that not many fans even think about and this has meant that BB has had to carry so much of the work load compared to other coaches.

Now the Rats have a commissioner who ignores Rats' transgressions, many of which have been previously mentioned in this thread, and has been shown to have grown up a Rats fan and is very pro NY.

Now try to begin putting this in the perspective of a divisional rival using league contacts to try and bring you down to the level of your chief divisional rival who is unable to do it for themselves.

Consider this and maybe you can begin to understand that Pats fans' grievances against the Rats and the Omissioner are not imagined, and based in fact.

Last edited:

wrong..but I'm betting YOU will blame your utter lack of any form of reading comprehension on a head smashing fall to the concrete during an intense game of hacky sack on the Mission Beach boardwalk.

lol hackysack in quebec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye