PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell is an Idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

Man, this rule is really confusing, but I'll give it a shot:

NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." They also say all video for coaching purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

So, you can't video from these locations (booth, field), but YOU CAN VIDEO for coaching purposes, as long as you are enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead. My guess is that you could easily focus the camera (the one in the enclosed space) on the person calling the signals and be within the rules.

That was re-emphasized in a memo sent Sept. 6 to NFL head coaches and general managers. In it, Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations wrote: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

This re-emphasis simply tells me the same thing...don't record from the locations we have prohibited, and anywhere else you can have at the film during a game...BUT YOU CAN VIDEO for coaching purposes, as long as you are enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead. I am guessing being enclosed with a roof makes in game transmission of data harder (versus being in the coaches booth or on the field).

SO YES...YOU CAN VIDEO COACHES SIGNALS.

The NFL allows only two cameras to be used for game film.

Last edited:
"Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." They also say all video for coaching purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

So, you can't video from these locations (booth, field), but YOU CAN VIDEO for coaching purposes, as long as you are enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead. My guess is that you could easily focus the camera (the one in the enclosed space) on the person calling the signals and be within the rules.

That was re-emphasized in a memo sent Sept. 6 to NFL head coaches and general managers. In it, Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations wrote: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

This re-emphasis simply tells me the same thing...don't record from the locations we have prohibited, and anywhere else you can have at the film during a game...BUT YOU CAN VIDEO for coaching purposes, as long as you are enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead. I am guessing being enclosed with a roof makes in game transmission of data harder (versus being in the coaches booth or on the field).

SO YES...YOU CAN VIDEO COACHES SIGNALS.

Goodell is a blithering idiot.

IF you told me to play commissioner, and introduced me to the whole "spygate" story and asked me to handle it as poorly as I possibly could, i still think i would fall short of what Goodell did.

He was that bad. he just has absolutely no clue what he is doing.

Kinda like if i was commissioner. We both have no clue. I'm just more honest

what do you expect from a former RAT front office worker...it stunk back then when Mangini met Polian in his office the week before the opener and it stinks now...once a NY Hater always a NY Hater...I will NEVER trust this weasel and I will ALWAYS doubt his motives.

The rule says you can tape from an enclosure with 3 sides to it.

Also, just this year the NFL said it was fine with the Jets doing it because they received permission.

Permission to break a rule?

LOL.

Mike Reiss is wrong.

There is no rule specifically mentioning coaches signals.

The memo mentioned signals.

The rule in the manual does not mention them. Regardless, the NFL does allow stolen signals by means of tape, and it's easy to prove this.

They allowed it when the Jets did it against the Patriots last year.

They allowed it when the Dolphins did it last year as well.

hahaah I love all the "No's here.

No, you cannot videop players before snaps on the field, unless you get the oppoing teams' permission...then and only then can you carefully conceal your video i.e. via baseball cap, in a shirt lapel, hairpiece, etc... :rocker:

I think I finally understand BB's misinterpretation

Look at this quote again:

"Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

The last part of that indicates to me that they goal is to prevent club staff members from having access to the video during the game.

Maybe this is why BB was confused about the interpretation of the rule... that the objective was to prevent in-game usage.

Just a thought.

I agree so strongly that Goodell is to blame mostly for this mess. THe Wednesday after the Jets game when this started I remember sitting in one of my professor's offices and discussing spygate. I remember saying that Goodell will not punish the Pats severely because this really is not a big deal and is really common practice in the NFL and he will not want to give fuel to the fire of the media and skeptics who will try to undermine the Pats dynasty. The Pats are too important to the league, I said.

Clearly I overestimated his intelligence. There is no question in my mind that if Goodell could go back he would do it totally different. Instead he was a bull in a china shop, and his desire to be the Cowboy that brings justice to the league really caused a minor and inconsequential rules infraction to snowball into an undue tarnish.

crap.jpg

What a STUPID FRIGGIN RULE.

Even when people read it verbatim no one can agree WTF it means. The OP is right, we lost a draft pick over this bullshyt?

Re: I think I finally understand BB's misinterpretation

You guys absolute morons. The fact that the memo even mentions filming coaches signals should be enough. They broke the rule, plain and simple. You can argue the legitimacy of the rule all you want but it's not going to get you anywhere.

Seems a lot like the tuck rule, eh? Correct interpretation of a bad rule. This seems just slightly hypocritical.

You guys absolute morons. The fact that the memo even mentions filming coaches signals should be enough. They broke the rule, plain and simple. You can argue the legitimacy of the rule all you want but it's not going to get you anywhere.

Seems a lot like the tuck rule, eh? Correct interpretation of a bad rule. This seems just slightly hypocritical.

Wow, nothing like missing the boat completely. You seriously compared it to the tuck rule and called other people morons?

Irony. Thick. Rich. Tasty.

what the hell don't you understand?

everyone is pissed b/c the pats got screwed out of a first round pick by a new commissioner who was trying to be the new toughguy in town, and punished them for something that every team does.

this is like if the pats led the league in pass interference penalties, so Goodell decided to fine them a pick for breaking the rule so much.

its complete b.s. and the pats should lobby the league to get the pick back

Sorry to rehash, but its a quiet day in Patsville....So, after much speculation and theories run amuck in the media, everything boils down to this: You can use video to steal signals, just not from the field (you need to do it from the coaches booth).

How idiotic is this? Essentially, you can break into my house and steal my things legally if you come in the back door, but not if you come in a window.

It burns me up every time I think of the fact that we lost a draft pick to this BULL SH!T. Thanks Godell for understanding the how the league works, has worked in the past, your rules, and how to the media works. You may have singlehandedly blown a irreparable hole in the hull of the ship that is the NFL. What is your salary? Donate it to charity.

You are completely and totally wrong. Learn the rules of the game before you make a thread that shows how uninformed you are.

The rule says that you cannot shoot video from the sidelines OR the coaches booth. It's a very simple rule. And anyone who violates it after being warned by the league is either a moron, or a the most arrogant person in the world.

You couldn't be more wrong. The problem is that everyone just presumes taping signals is outright illegal because the memo mentions the taping of signals.

While the memo can certainly be read to prohibit taping of signals from the sidelines, I have never read anything indicating the taping of signals is outright inappropriate. In fact, everything I read seems to leave open the possibility that it is alright from certain locations.

Most people apparently just tend to gloss over the actual language of the memo and see what they want.

"Spygate" has become a quintessential example of how many people cant or fail to read, and how easy it is whip people up into a frenzy where they see only what they want - - -and that is what is really unfortunate.

If nothing else, I think "Spygate" is a good lesson to us Pats fans to try to stay objective and rational about most other things.

everyone is pissed b/c the pats got screwed out of a first round pick by a new commissioner who was trying to be the new toughguy in town, and punished them for something that every team does.

this is like if the pats led the league in pass interference penalties, so Goodell decided to fine them a pick for breaking the rule so much.

You have to be careful because although he is not taking picks you could end up suspended....look at Roy Williams and the horse collar thing. He got suspended for horse collaring.

Whats next Olinemen get suspended for holding?

The worst part about is In the Roy Williams trade rumors I heard someone say that next time he might get suspened four games. So now he has to run around the field and try and do his job with that in the back of his head.

The Pats broke a rule. Not only that, they broke a rule right after the NFL warned everyone not to break it. It was stupid and they deserve whatever they got for no reason other than it was stupid and arrogant to continue doing something so trivial.
Do none of you realize that Goodell is on our side here? He had no choice but to punish us and I don't blame him for it. He tried to sweep it under the rug and now Congress is against Goodell and the Pats. He's going to do everything in his power to make sure this goes away.
It's nothing like leading the league in pass interference. Regulation rules and on-field rules are completely different and should not be compared.
Seriously, take a step back and think about what you're saying. You're calling the guy enforcing the rule stupid for punishing us for breaking a rule.
Really?

The Pats broke a rule. Not only that, they broke a rule right after the NFL warned everyone not to break it. It was stupid and they deserve whatever they got for no reason other than it was stupid and arrogant to continue doing something so trivial.
Do none of you realize that Goodell is on our side here? He had no choice but to punish us and I don't blame him for it. He tried to sweep it under the rug and now Congress is against Goodell and the Pats. He's going to do everything in his power to make sure this goes away.
It's nothing like leading the league in pass interference. Regulation rules and on-field rules are completely different and should not be compared.
Seriously, take a step back and think about what you're saying. You're calling the guy enforcing the rule stupid for punishing us for breaking a rule.
Really?

yes i am calling him stupid. Incredibly stupid. This situation couldn't have been handled worse if someone went out of there way to purposely make it look as bad as possible. That is just how horrendously bad Goodell handled it.

If he punished every team and removed the entire first round of the draft, then i would say it is fair.

At most the pats should have been penalized a 3rd round pick... like the Broncos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back