PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell Being 'Pushed' By Influential Owners to Keep Brady's Suspension at Four Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Directing your hatred towards Kraft is misguded at best. No one wants to acknowledge the real bastards, and that's just the way they like it.

You're blinded by you're hatred. We just won a SB in Feb.

The Patriots win, you hate. Are you a frequent poster on PFT?
As a matter fact Kraft had zero to do with the Pats winning the Superbowl aside from staying out of BB's way. I rejoice in their win however I like BB and Brady are already looking towards the next ring. When your owner lacks the guts to stand up for his most important player and surrenders draft picks with a whimper, he handicaps the team going forward. You are satisfied living in the past like Kraft who apparently thinks the Pats have won enough and wants the other 31 teams to have a chance for the good of the League . I am looking for the future. We will see who is the real Pats fan.

There are a few who actually believe that Goodell is somehow responsible for the NFL's growth, but they are a tiny minority

I know that we have a difference of opinions on this particular topic, but here's a list of some of the reasons why the owners love him:

1) Goodell stepped in and negotiated that insanely cheap concussion settlement, he was looked upon the other owners as a genius. As a matter of fact, some came right out and stated such. They were prepared to pay hundreds of millions of dollars per team, and he successfully got it down to a very small percentage of that. That alone went a long way in the minds of the team owners.

2) He's also made some business decisions that have increased the interest of the NFL in other "new" markets, such as the decision to have multiple games over in London, Canada, etc. Of course, that increases the interest and bottom line revenue for marketing purposes, as does allowing outside stadium and smaller market teams (people here in Pittsburgh are excited that they are in the mix for the 2023 SB) to potentially host the SB, something that was unheard of in the past. The choice to move the draft around was another idea that would supposedly make the draft more of a spectacle, as was the choice to create a weekend-long event where the first round now showcased the entire night.

3) His choice to go head-to-head with MLB for Sunday night World Series games was yet another ballsy move, which showed that the NFL was big enough to compete with the "other" main American sport, even during their championship period. That was a move that was unheard of in the past.

4) The decision to make NFL football's offseason more of a showcase by spreading around the dates for the combine and draft itself was another ploy designed to keep the NFL in the limelight 24/7/365, and it seems to have worked.

5) The bigger money contracts paid for the addition of Thursday night games in weeks 2-17 has increased the pie for everyone, and had the owners gushing at increased profits. The expansion of the postseason is yet another mark in this category that will bring in more money. Every single team's revenue has been up across the board, and they are all thankful for that. These big money network TV deals are certainly instrumental in bringing in additional money.

6) The latest CBA was a clear cut victory for the owners for so many reasons, that it would be completely pointless to try and list them all.

If people who believe that Goodell has been good for the owner's are in the "minority" as you say, that's a shame that people are that naive, because his business decisions have been great for the owners.

Directing your hatred towards Kraft is misguded at best. No one wants to acknowledge the real bastards, and that's just the way they like it.

Kraft is soft.

Also, this forum has killed the NFL and their lackeys. Everyone knows what is going on and why.

Except for you I think since you keep repeating over and over that there seems to be posters here defending the NFL. which there are not.

Stop being ridiculous.

George Washington had to retreat a few times if you know anything about history.

Good thing his soldiers never gave up on him.

George Washington had to retreat a few times if you know anything about history.

Wrong Revolutionary War general. Benedict Arnold is much more appropriate. He started as a hero then abandoned his side for money .

Wrong again. "Giving up" would be not supporting or watching the team at all. I am sure that some will spend less money at Gillette etc but that is overall is insignificant.

Everyone here has the right to not agree with BKs decision and state it on this forum. That is what this forum is for.

Nobody gave up on anything. Your strawman is childish and embarrassing.

Wrong again. "Giving up" would be not supporting or watching the team at all. I am sure that some will spend less money at Gillette etc but that is overall is insignificant.

Everyone here has the right to not agree with BKs decision and state it on this forum. That is what this forum is for.

Nobody gave up on anything. Your strawman is childish and embarrassing.
And I have the right to disagree with the Kraft hatred.

Exact meaning of "strawman":

"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent."

I figured you should know the meaning of the saying before you flippantly throw it out there again. No strawman here. My point of veiw is straightforward and to the point.

Story isn't over yet.

Wrong Revolutionary War general. Benedict Arnold is much more appropriate. He started as a hero then abandoned his side for money .

I Disagreed because that is a poor comparison. Benedict Arnold had the support of George Washington but no one else, finally got fed up and decided to try to screw America as payback for Congress and the other military higher ups constantly screwing him.

I am trying to think of a sports example but am drawing a blank.

And when it comes out the Kraft was trying to convince Brady to just take a deal with Goodell so that this distraction goes away what will you say?
That's a purely hypothetical strawman that is in the category of "if pigs could fly".

For a bunch of rich guys, the owners strike me as remarkably uninformed.
A lot of them inherited the team and their only qualification is winning that lottery.

That's a purely hypothetical strawman that is in the category of "if pigs could fly".
Someone that actually understands the meaning of the saying and can use it in context. Bravo!

I know that we have a difference of opinions on this particular topic, but here's a list of some of the reasons why the owners love him:

1) Goodell stepped in and negotiated that insanely cheap concussion settlement, he was looked upon the other owners as a genius. As a matter of fact, some came right out and stated such. They were prepared to pay hundreds of millions of dollars per team, and he successfully got it down to a very small percentage of that. That alone went a long way in the minds of the team owners.

2) He's also made some business decisions that have increased the interest of the NFL in other "new" markets, such as the decision to have multiple games over in London, Canada, etc. Of course, that increases the interest and bottom line revenue for marketing purposes, as does allowing outside stadium and smaller market teams (people here in Pittsburgh are excited that they are in the mix for the 2023 SB) to potentially host the SB, something that was unheard of in the past. The choice to move the draft around was another idea that would supposedly make the draft more of a spectacle, as was the choice to create a weekend-long event where the first round now showcased the entire night.

3) His choice to go head-to-head with MLB for Sunday night World Series games was yet another ballsy move, which showed that the NFL was big enough to compete with the "other" main American sport, even during their championship period. That was a move that was unheard of in the past.

4) The decision to make NFL football's offseason more of a showcase by spreading around the dates for the combine and draft itself was another ploy designed to keep the NFL in the limelight 24/7/365, and it seems to have worked.

5) The bigger money contracts paid for the addition of Thursday night games in weeks 2-17 has increased the pie for everyone, and had the owners gushing at increased profits. The expansion of the postseason is yet another mark in this category that will bring in more money. Every single team's revenue has been up across the board, and they are all thankful for that. These big money network TV deals are certainly instrumental in bringing in additional money.

6) The latest CBA was a clear cut victory for the owners for so many reasons, that it would be completely pointless to try and list them all.

If people who believe that Goodell has been good for the owner's are in the "minority" as you say, that's a shame that people are that naive, because his business decisions have been great for the owners.
Perhaps you should reread what I actually wrote. Where did I reference what the owners think? They're a bunch of petty douches, who like most of corporate America, sacrifice long term success for short term profit.

If you believe that the concussion issue is over and the NFL won't be paying any more money, you might not want to be throwing words like naive around.

Expanding the draft is the only good decision he has made. Not only was expansion beyond the US an agenda long before Goodell's tenure (remember NFL Europe), but you're way overstating the ROE of these international games. Goodell started considering cold-weather stadiums to help the NY teams... any other perceived benefit is an unintended consequence. Let's see how much the owners love the idea when 12+ inches of snow and biting cold ruin the week leading up to the superbowl.

Not sure why you're crediting Goodell with the downfall of MLB, but I doubt even the owners are deluded enough to think that.

Every sport tries to generate buzz year round. The rising popularity of the sport itself is simply enabling the NFL to accomplish this.

Please cite your sources for NFL Thursday being such a success. Most of the games on Thursday suck and the majority of the fans don't seem to even want them. The bigger money contracts weren't negotiated by Goodell, the negotiating team was headed by Kraft.

Without Kraft, there would have been missed games before a CBA was signed.

The only truly good decision made by Goodell was making the draft 3 days. Giving credit to Goodell for the situational factors that have led to the dramatic increase in NFL profits is much like giving a President credit for the state of the economy soon after he takes office. There are so many recent blunders by Goodell that people seem to forget things like the officiating strike, the poor handling of Bounty Gate, and the unfair punishing of Dallas and Washington while the Broncos and Jets colluded for a similar advantage in the CBA. Much like corporate America, the owners inability to see beyond short term profits will lead to the watering down of the product, followed by an inevitable decline and likely the eventual demise.

There was a time when you wouldn't post words like "naive" about valid, reasonable perspectives that differed from yours.

In Arnold's defense, he got shafted before he ever thought of being a traitor.

Haven't read all the posts (just first 3 pages).

My question is, Why does anyone think Goodell wouldn't lie and just say he never had a conversation with anyone from the owners teams? I mean, shouldn't that be the obvious way to go? Then again, probably makes it harder for him to go in any direction that may lead to possible discovery.

He's quickly getting only 1 avenue to keep his job. "There's no solid evidence to say Brady was involved in the deflation of footballs and his suspension has been vacated."

If pushed, he'll still say the employees didn't something wrong and he just couldn't prove Brady's involvement, so had to error on the side of justice. The club penalties will stand. (with no explanation given as to why they stand or how he arrived at the conclusion other than to say it's all in the Wells report and there's no need to go over that again).

And I have the right to disagree with the Kraft hatred.

Exact meaning of "strawman":

"A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument which was not advanced by that opponent."

I figured you should know the meaning of the saying before you flippantly throw it out there again. No strawman here. My point of veiw is straightforward and to the point.

Story isn't over yet.

LOL

You have stated that

1. Nobody wants to acknowledge the "real bastards"/

Really?

2. This forum is full of traitors and people who have abandoned the team.

Really?

That is two strawmen. Good job.

A lot of them inherited the team and their only qualification is winning that lottery.
Unlike our owner, who purchased the stadium forcing Orthwein's hand to sell him the team instead of being able to move them to St. Louis for a then record price. As for those who beleive all his money came from Myra's family, he got help along the way but firmly established his own company in 1972. International Forest products was founded that year and he was the owner of Rand-Whitney.

Most of you fools have no idea how close this team came to becoming the ST. Louis Zephers. There would be no PATSFANS.COM, there would be no 7 SB appearances and 4 championships in the last 21 years and there would be no Bill Belichick/Tom Brady legacy.

There would be NO football in NE without Bob Kraft.

How quick we are to turn our back and forget what we've been blessed with. It's almost disgusting.

Unlike our owner, who purchased the stadium forcing Orthwein's hand to sell him the team instead of being able to move them to St. Louis for a then record price. As for those who beleive all his money came from Myra's family, he got help along the way but firmly established his own company in 1972. International Forest products was founded that year and he was the owner of Rand-Whitney.

Most of you fools have no idea how close this team came to becoming the ST. Louis Zephers. There would be no PATSFANS.COM, there would be no 7 SB appearances and 4 championships in the last 21 years and there would be no Bill Belichick/Tom Brady legacy.

There would be NO football in NE without Bob Kraft.

How quick we are to turn our back and forget what we've been blessed with. It's almost disgusting.
You're right. We should all give a free pass to the business man who made huge money by not moving the team he purchased to to a much smaller market. The whole thing was 100% about his fandom and selflessness. The millions he's been making every year was simply an unintended consequence.

I can understand your support of Kraft, but the ultra-aggressive way you are attacking the opposing viewpoint, as well as making **** up, is over-the-top and completely uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back