Welcome to PatsFans.com

Goodbye Mitt?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +248 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I was still hoping for Romney but I had a gut feeling (though I was still predicting him) that it wouldn't be him the way the Republicans went after Biden's negative comments about Obama. That would have a short shelf life after the contentious Republican primaries. I think McCain would like but pick Lieberman - but he won't.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Lieberman is out also ... he has already told McCain he'd be crazy to pick him. Pawlenty or a woman is my guess.
  4. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Not sure about Lieberman:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12922.html

Republican strategist Karl Rove called Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (I-Conn.) late last week and urged him to contact John McCain to withdraw his name from vice presidential consideration, according to three sources familiar with the conversation.

Lieberman dismissed the request, these sources agreed.

Lieberman “laughed at the suggestion and certainly did not call [McCain] on it,” said one source familiar with the details.
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +248 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Although I am not in favor of a pro choice woman (not gonna get into the abortion thing again), it would put an interesting twist on the election. A lot of women can lean Republican as national security is important to them and McCain gets way better polling on that kind of issue the Obama.
  6. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +476 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

Lieberman will undermine the gop convention and cause dissension ... he has said this and h believes this and has also said he would not hurt McCain ... it's not Lieberman ... not happening.
  7. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

If that happens, I will vote for Barr.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +248 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Libertarians are generally pro choice - is Barr different ?
  9. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +77 / 5 / -7

#37 Jersey

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/politics/18582534.html

10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Pawlenty gives him almost everything he needs in terms of conservative credentials with minimal baggage. It's the 'safe' pick....
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +248 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

I think it'll be a woman. While McCain is hanging in there fine in the polls :

http://www.gallup.com/poll/109873/Gallup-Daily-Race-Still-Close-Obama-45-McCain-44.aspx

he never gets about 45-46%. Never. His staying close relies on Obama coming down to that level. McCain needs to find a new voter block and women could be it. At McCain's age a woman VP could easily end up being the President, it could be a very interesting dynamic.
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

McCain/Romney would have been too "blue blooded" and not played well amongst the masses...
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

If McLame is going to defy his base, and pick a pro-choice running mate, then he should pick Tom Ridge, who actually does something for him. Ridge could deliver him PA, and maybe even Ohio. Picking Lieberman would be a disaster, and a net negative. Clearly he needs someone who's run something, and has an economic pedigree. Of course, this is the bizarro year for politics, so that means he picks Hillary Clinton for all we know. I think Romney would be his best choice, and that Ridge, if he goes pro-choice, would be #2. Aside from Romney on the pro-life department, Pawlenty (zzzzz) would be safe.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

There is no doubt that the campaign would love to take advantage of the existing environment, in selecting a woman for as VP. the problem is what woman helps his ticket, aside from the attribute of having breasts. Personally I don't see any. He needs someone who has a clue on how to run an economy. IMO anyway. Palin would be the best option out of the female field, but does the governor of Alaska really make people feel comfortable about the nations fiscal future? No.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Wow, that's exactly how I feel about the issue. I think Barr is quietly moving to the top of my none of the above list.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I disagree a little bit, but not with your overall point. Romney McCain would upset a specific "mass" for sure, and that's evangelicals. Their being too blue isn't really the problem, since the perception (not necessarily the reality) is that Romney is a true conservative. Romney won the conservative vote in the primary. His selection would inpart be to satisfy the "base". Whether it alienates evangelicals, who don't trust mormons, would remain to be seen. Personally, I don't think the evangelical damage would be as severe as some think, but I could be wrong, since I'm not one. Were I McCain, I'd pick Romney, Pawlenty, Ridge, or Palin, in that order.
  17. Patters

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

18. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It depends if Mitt could really bring Michigan or not. Ideally he would get enough votes to put McCain over the top in Michigan and New Hampshire and maybe Nevada, but I don't know that he's strong enough to do that. Pawlenty may have a better shot of turning around Minnesota than Mitt does in MI even though I think MI is a closer race right now. You're right RW, Ridge would be a boost in PA, but I wonder if someone like Ridge would turn off enough conservatives in other states that maybe McCain drops a close one where he's ahead and Ridge ends up hurting in delegate math.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Hmm...IIRC correctly the Secret Service was mentioned when Biden was rumored to be the choice, weren't they? Biden then gave the "it isn't me" quote as a response, which we obviously now know was given to throw off the dogs. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes elsewhere, but I'm not sure he can do much better for his tickets sake.
  20. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Oh, absolutely. I personally don't think he should choose a pro-choice candidate. McLame is already not a favorite of the republican base, so he can't afford to piss them off further IMO. My reference to Ridge, was with respect to the inuendo surrounding a Lieberman/McLame ticket. My feeling is that if you're going to whiz on the base, and pick a pro-choice running mate, you might as well pick one that helps you somewhere specifically. Lieberman helps him nowhere really.