PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodbye Corey Dillon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OsloRhino

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Here is something I'm chewing in my head.

Next year is Dillon's last year as a Pat (contracted) and is scheduled to earn around 6.2 million.

Now in the Bellicheck scale of things, thats way too high. So either its a renegotiation (which I can't see likely) or the Pats cut Corey (which is more likely).

Question:

How do we replace him? Next years draft? Probably not, as we've pretty big needs. Secondary anyone? Who is Tom's favourite target?

Trade? Anyone we're likely to get, for a reasonable draft pick and for a reasonable price?

Look from within? Garrett Mills? Kevin Faulk?

I think that you should ponder that question from now until next March. Pondering take a lot of time.

I can't fill my little brain with that when we still have 7 regular season game to go THIS YEAR. Plus, hopefully, a long playoff run right to the SB.

PATSNUTme said:
I think that you should ponder that question from now until next March. Pondering take a lot of time.

I can't fill my little brain with that when we still have 7 regular season game to go THIS YEAR. Plus, hopefully, a long playoff run right to the SB.

Doubt we'll get to the Bowl this year, but I'm sure we'll end up in Denver or Indy come play off time. (FWIW, I'm more confident about beating Pretty Peyton and his chokers come crunch time than I am going to face the Broncs on the road).

Bellicheck is a wise enough coach to be already thinking about 2007\8, even if our sights are set on a fourth victory under BB:

But, if you had to make a gut call, what would it be?

OsloRhino said:
But, if you had to make a gut call, what would it be?

If Corey plays next season to the same standard as this season
i'd definitely want him on the team.
But not for over 6 million.

What happens to Patriots under contract
for more money than they then seem to be worth?

Bledsoe ... Milloy ... Law ... McGinest?
And many lesser-known "restructurings".

you can't introduce this topic without mentioning what the cap hit would be if they cut him.

i remember this topic coming up before this year even though his cap hit would actually have been more if they cut him than by keeping him.

I don't know what his cap hit would be next year were he cut, I just want to point out the fault behind not taking it into consideration.

If his cap hit would be <2M if cut, you'd have to consider cutting him. If you're taking a hit >3M if you cut him you'd have to keep him.

Also, the cap will grow again next year and the Pats will be looking at being well over the cap. rather than tying some of that space up in a long-term deal they might be happy using it on one last year of Dillon.

Geez guys, this is kinda like handing someone their coat and hat before coffee and desert time!!

According to Miguel's information he is signed through 2009. He shows his estimated cap hits for the remainder of the contract as a flat $3.7M per. He was due a $3M option bonus this season but it appears that was waived or shifted forward this year in exchange for guaranteeing his $3M 2006 salary and converting $2.3M of it to signing bonus. His dead cap if cut before next season would be $3.5M.

I imagine as long as Corey wants to keep playing for and remains productive in the $3-4M range he will be here. Can't see him moving on because he appears to have accepted his gradually diminishing role on a team he has already won his ring with. And if he remains healthy enough it's a role he can comfortably fill for another year or two.

OsloRhino said:
Question:

How do we replace him? Next years draft? Probably not, as we've pretty big needs. Secondary anyone? Who is Tom's favourite target?

Trade? Anyone we're likely to get, for a reasonable draft pick and for a reasonable price?

You want to replace Corey Dillon with Garrett Mills ? WTF ?

I guess Willie Andrews will be Bruschi's replacement down the line :rolleyes:

OsloRhino said:

Next year is Dillon's last year as a Pat (contracted) and is scheduled to earn around 6.2 million.

Now in the Bellicheck scale of things, thats way too high. So either its a renegotiation (which I can't see likely) or the Pats cut Corey (which is more likely).

Question:

Corey isn't going anywhere. The player they're most likely to dump, in my estimation, would be Faulk.

FWIW....

OsloRhino said:

Question:

forgive me for stating the obvious but didnt they already draft his replacment ?maroney maybe?

PatsChick87 said:
Geez guys, this is kinda like handing someone their coat and hat before coffee and desert time!!

Right you be, PChick.
Wish i'd thought of that before chiming in.

BelichickFan said:
You want to replace Corey Dillon with Garrett Mills ? WTF ?

I guess Willie Andrews will be Bruschi's replacement down the line :rolleyes:

Nope. But we work in a league which has a salary cap. You know what happens when Bill doesn't want to pay silly money to his players.

So the Pats go with Maroney? One running back?

Haven't we learned from that? Every big team has at least 2 options at RB. We seem to be happy with one. Better suit LM up in Thermite next year then!

OsloRhino said:
Nope. But we work in a league which has a salary cap. You know what happens when Bill doesn't want to pay silly money to his players.

So the Pats go with Maroney? One running back?
No they don't. Some do. Indy only has one real RB. Same with Baltimore. And Cincy. And Seattle. And Philly. Then some have two. Belichick will find an appropriate backup but it won't be Garrett Mills.

BelichickFan said:
No they don't. Some do. Indy only has one real RB. Same with Baltimore. And Cincy. And Seattle. And Philly. Then some have two. Belichick will find an appropriate backup but it won't be Garrett Mills.

More likely he will just retain Corey Dillon since despite what Oslo thinks he knows Dillon is signed through 2009. ;)

Why cant we just keep him in a Jerome Bettis like role?

Why give one back severe wear and tear when you can split time?

SeanBruschi54 said:
Why cant we just keep him in a Jerome Bettis like role?

Why give one back severe wear and tear when you can split time?

Sadly, although Corey is a very physical back and much more so than Maroney, he's not a battering ram like Bettis or Altstott.

And FWIW, Corey is now halfway through his third season in a Pats uniform. Either he's turned a new leaf or we're due a Shockey-esque outburst right about now.

OsloRhino said:
Next year is Dillon's last year as a Pat (contracted)
It is? Did I fall asleep for two years again? Is this 2008?

OsloRhino said:
How do we replace him? Look from within? Garrett Mills? Kevin Faulk?
Definately. Faulk and Dillon are basically clones. I can never tell which one has the ball when they run unless I can see the jersey number.

Garret Mills is identical to Corey Dillon when Dillon was drafted, except that Dillon runs with more power and speed, is quicker to the hole, has better instincts and vision, runs less upright, is more elusive, breaks tackles better, and blocks better.

OsloRhino said:
Sadly, although Corey is a very physical back and much more so than Maroney, he's not a battering ram like Bettis or Altstott.

And FWIW, Corey is now halfway through his third season in a Pats uniform. Either he's turned a new leaf or we're due a Shockey-esque outburst right about now.

Say what? His tenure here has shown no Shockey-style outbursts. He's contributed far more to his team than the latest NY Jints media hyped player. I say no Shockey-style outburst from CD.

I'm just guessing obviously, but I think Corey will redo his deal down to a coupla million and stay. I think he knows he's not an every down back anymore and pairing with Marooney as a different type runner, he can gets some more yards towards his HOF entry and play another year or two with a team that'll play him so many plays a year. Just a guess though.
On another HOF note, I'd like to see Andre Tippett make it this year as he's one of the guys again. I think if he didn't play at the same time as LT, he'd have been in already but LT overshadowed him. Go Andre.

I hear you about Tippett !!!

But the question is... Will Corey downgrade his deal? Will he see that the Pats rescued his career?

Or will he do a Ty Law and follow the green?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes