PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good Wilfork Comments

zippo59

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
From a football perspective, how has the offseason been for you?
“Right now, I’m so ahead of the game, going into my fourth year. I feel better about myself now than I did last year at this time. I was going through a couple of issues last year. I’m healthy. Getting back in shape. Just seeing all the new faces we have coming in, from coaches to players, I think everybody … if you walk into that locker room right now you’ll see a lot of people with smiles on their faces because we made a bunch of good moves. We’re excited to play. We went too far not to win it last year. It starts now.”

How are you further ahead this year?
“Last year, after the season, I wasn’t healthy as a person. I had a lot of issues going on that we had to take care of, which we did take care of. This year, nothing is in my way of getting better. Nothing is rushed. I felt like last year I had to rush a lot of things because the situation and what I was going through. Now that I’m healthy, my family is good, there is no rushing. Everything is rolling along well.”

Is it hard from where you sit, with three more years on your contract, to see all the money being paid to other players in free agency?
“Not really. You can sit back and talk about the new money, the new rules with the CBA and all that, but when it’s your time, it’s your time. We don’t waste our time looking at what’s going on. It’s not a biggie. The only thing I have to do is continue to play football and everything will take care of itself. The Patriots know what type of player they have. I know what I have in the Patriots. As long as we believe in each other, there is no doubt in my mind that I would continue to play here. I would love to play here. What we’re talking about is another 2-3 years away. It’s not a big thing right now.”

For the full interview go here:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Comments like these are the reasons you have to love the guy........that and the "funniest run of all time" which would have been a touchdown if it wasnt for damn jericho cochery (wild card game vs jets)

Belichick looks at DLINE as the most important aspect of his teams. There is no doubt Wilfork will get his money no questions asked.

"Not healthy" as a person is a lot easier to accept from somebody like Wilfork than it would be from most players. Solid family, but his parents both died young? That IS pretty hard to deal with, I would say. But I'd also say it's something a guy can get past while eventually not sacrificing much or anything in the way of football performance.

Last edited:
Sooooo nice to read his comments after hearing Asante's nonsense this week :)

Belichick looks at DLINE as the most important aspect of his teams. There is no doubt Wilfork will get his money no questions asked.

I disagree. I think BB looks at 'excellent football players' as the most important part of his team.

Prior to drafting Seymour, Warren and Wilfork in the first round, BB had a very long history of winning with DLs that almost never included 1st round picks or top line FAs. Up until 2003, 90+% of the DLs acquired on BB defenses were jags who fit the system.

I think BB building a great DL here happened by circumstance, with the circumstance being the best players available to him happened to play there.
Had the best players on the board when he picked those 3 guys been DBs, we would have a team with a great secondary, and a jag DL, and pretty much the same results in the long run.

I have never felt BB has a blueprint in slecting players to build a team. I think its just the reverse. He selects the players then constructs the blueprint around them.

Fat Vince isn't just growing as a player in a technical sense. Unlike many players, FV has been paying attention to what's happening around him and sounds like he's learning from it. Heck of a good job for a young dude. His SD war dance notwithstanding, Fat Vince seems to be trying to balance perspective and smarts with the raw emotion most guys need to dominate in the NFL. Hmm, sounds like a Patriot...

Last edited:
I hope when the time comes that we extend him quick and fast.

I really like Vince.:)

And BB has said he vallues athletic 300Lbers in the draft because there are only so many.

Scarcity = value.

I'm not quite sold on the fact that Wilfork will get a big pay day. The last two standout nosetackles the Pats had got their walking papers: Washington and Traylor. I hope that isn't the case, but lets keep that in mind and hope that Wilfork will be more attractive to the Pats than the last two.

Think he might be here for a while, he is what they want and has proven himself.. also a very good team guy.

Vince has nothing to complain , he is paid handsomely.He is a full time starter and must be hit quite afew of his escalators on this contract which is usually big for a # 13 pick.

Its hard to find big NT and even harder to find one who is young,he will be signing.DE who are tall are eaiser then big fast NT.

I'm not quite sold on the fact that Wilfork will get a big pay day. The last two standout nosetackles the Pats had got their walking papers: Washington and Traylor. I hope that isn't the case, but lets keep that in mind and hope that Wilfork will be more attractive to the Pats than the last two.

The last two standout nosetackles the Pats had were also in their mid 30's. Washington left for a bigger paycheck in Oakland, Traylor was rendered obselete by the younger Wilfork.

Washington and Traylor are both proof that a solid nose tackle can remain a force well into their 30's. Since a good NT is hard to find, I have no doubt the front office will do what it can to keep Wilfork here into his 30's as well.

Good article find Zippo. I love big Vince. I don't know why everyone is so worried about him resigning, but I've been trying to tell people to relax, that is not for at least 2 more years. I do hope he stays a Patriot for a long time. Not easy to find a force in the middle like that.

Vince and his family live in my hometown of Mansfield full time. He and his wife are somewhat involved in the community and are both a class act.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back