Welcome to PatsFans.com

Good Times

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just another sad example of how the policies of liberalism have failed America's poor, especially in urban areas. I guess old Buffalo Butt better start sending out resumes.

Chicago shutters infamous public housing complex - BostonHerald.com

CHICAGO — For decades, Chicago’s infamous Cabrini-Green high-rises — with their fenced-in balconies and horrific high-profile crimes — were a symbol of the failure of public housing in America. Their closure this month marks the end of an ugly era.

The Cabrini high-rises were, to some, towering testaments to how Chicago public housing couldn’t safely give shelter to the poorest of the poor. But to the final group of residents being rousted from the last building, Cabrini-Green was simply home.

The 70-acre development was initially hailed as a salvation for the city’s poor that was emulated nationwide. But it quickly decayed into the kind of place where little boys were gunned down on their way to school and little girls were sexually assaulted and left for dead in stairwells.
  2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +142 / 1 / -4

Not everything worked with liberalism, but blacks, gays, women, Latinos, and poor people are better off today than they were when states rights reigned. The origin of the failure of many of these projects are the cuts initiated under Reagan, when the right-wing war on the poor began in earnest.
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

I tutored at a program at Cabrini Green for a year.

What was absolutely clear is just how horrendous some "parents" are. The kids largely had no supervision from their parents. More than once I walked a kid home when a parent didn't show. Of course, the kid was probably safer than I was...
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +315 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

I'm not sure how they've been "failed," since CHA relocated just about everybody and made sure they were offered social services in their new residences.

(1) CHA's current relocation program, encouraging moves to racially integrated areas of metropolitan Chicago and providing for case-managed social services, would be applied to families initially moving from public housing; and

(2) an agreed-upon modified program run by CHA's voucher administrator, CHAC Inc., would encourage former CHA residents to relocate to economically and racially integrated communities as well as give them increased access to social services.

Some former CHA residents have moved out of Chicago to nearby suburbs such as Harvey or to other housing developments in nearby cities, such as Maywood, Lombard, Aurora, East St. Louis, Gary, Indiana, or Danville, Illinois. New residents have successfully moved into CHA replacement housing, and to date, residents of the mixed-income developments have reported fewer problems.

Cabrini?Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

The challenge is and always has been, is not just to the people out of slums, but to take the slums out of people.. I believe Sister Corita said that.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +296 / 1 / -9

No Comment