PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good things that happen if the Jets beat the Colts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Let me try to turn a positive out of what looks to be the most horrific matchup we could've imagine. There are a few reasons why I think we, Patriot fans, should do the unimaginable, and root for the MF Jets.

- Draft position: Our draft spot will become one spot better if the Jets win. A very nominal change. (EDIT: Whoops, wrong on this one) But more importantly, the Jets will drop to 31. The Jets have been picking ahead of us for several years now, and have done well in the draft. Let's face it, the NYJ are better than we may have thought, and now appear to be a threat going forward. The Jets picking at the end of each round while we pick closer towards the middle would be a good opportunity to help retain our AFCE dominance.

- It will tick off Bill Belichick, Tom Brady & the Krafts - in a good way: The core of our dynasty (BB, TB & Krafts) all share a common hatred of the NYJ. Seeing the Jets go to the Super Bowl would ignite even more motivation than possible - particularly in this all-important offseason. The Krafts will be fighting their instinct to approach this unique free agent season with caution. A Jets SB appearance might move them to act more aggressively in the offseason.

- The Jets are less likely to win the next game: The Colts would probably beat either the Saints or the Vikings. I just don't see either of those teams losing to the Jets, though, they are just too potent offensively and too decent defensively.

- The Jets will lose the underdog mentality: The Jets have been dangerous all year as a team with nothing to lose and as a team perceived to have low expectations. They've had very little pressure on them, and when they did - after their hot start - they folded, horribly. Going into next season with that kind of pressure might make them fold once again, and make our regular season easier.

- The AFCE will be more respected: The AFCE is very underrated. As football outsiders pointed out, Brady faced the toughest pass defenses any QB has faced in nearly two decades. That's b/c the teams in our division are building themselves towards stopping our passing attack now. And they're doing a good job at it. Both the Jets & Bills have tough pass defenses. And I think the AFCE being perceived as a tougher division helps our legacy and reputation.

- The Colts losing cements us as Team of the Decade, if somehow, the mediots think that's still up for grabs: The media is incapable of simple math, such as 3 > 2. Trust me, if the Colts win this SB, the discussion will be brought up, and it will be extremely annoying.

Last edited:
We're already picking ahead of the draft, the order has been tweaked so teams eliminated before others pick before others.

The only "good thing" you mentioned that works for me is the Jets are far more likely to lose to the NFC team than the Colts.

But I'm still rooting for the Colts :( :eek:

We are picking at 22 regardless of whether the Jets or Colts win.

Nice way to put it.

I am actually coming around to like the idea of rooting for the Jets against the Colts. Never thought I'd be committing this heresy, but I am tired of Manning's ball-washing.

I just don't see the Jets doing anything against the Saints in the superbowl. The Saints are too disciplined and have too many weapons. It would take a monumental choke- but I just don't see that happening. Brees is the type of player that embraces pressure and rises to the occasion.

Now that the Jets have advanced further than the Patriots...Do the Pats still have a first place '10 schedule?

We're already picking ahead of the draft, the order has been tweaked so teams eliminated before others pick before others.

The only "good thing" you mentioned that works for me is the Jets are far more likely to lose to the NFC team than the Colts.

But I'm still rooting for the Colts :( :eek:

Thanks for the correction on the draft order, my bad on that.

The Saints are too disciplined and have too many weapons. It would take a monumental choke- but I just don't see that happening. Brees is the type of player that embraces pressure and rises to the occasion.

Like the Chargers monumental choke? That team absolutely shocked me.

Nice way to put it.

I am actually coming around to like the idea of rooting for the Jets against the Colts. Never thought I'd be committing this heresy, but I am tired of Manning's ball-washing.

I just don't see the Jets doing anything against the Saints in the superbowl. The Saints are too disciplined and have too many weapons. It would take a monumental choke- but I just don't see that happening. Brees is the type of player that embraces pressure and rises to the occasion.

Yes and personally, I don't think its even heresy to root for the Jets over the Colts. The Colts were in our division not too long ago, too. I know there is the New York-Boston thing going on, but frankly, I associate the NYJ more with Jersey (which is annoying in a completely different way...), so I don't really equate it on the same level of the Yanks-Sox. The reason I hate the Jets has little to do with the NY-Boston rivalry, personally.

I just hate the Colts more. And our legacy is not at all threatened by a Jets SB win. It is a little bit by a Colts win. And as you say, and I agree completely, I cannot see the Saints losing to the Jets.

Last edited:
Now that the Jets have advanced further than the Patriots...Do the Pats still have a first place '10 schedule?

Yes, the schedule (it is only two games) is based on the regular season, not the post season. Granted the Jets do luck out because the Pats get the Chargers and Colts and the Jets get the Broncos and the Texans.

Here is how this is going to play out:

1) Jets lose to the Colts with Revis getting called for pass interference 7 times. Tubby declares the Jets the Super Bowl favorites for next year and makes disappointment in 2010 almost a certainty.

2) Vikings lose to the Saints with Favre throwing a killer interception late...which Favre doesn't see because he has his "pants on the ground" after getting whacked. Favre cries a little in the post-game presser and starts the "return or retire" clock running. Reggie Bush (the only jerk-wad on the Saints) tears his achilles, ACL, MCL and larynx on the same play and is unable to participate in or talk about the Super Bowl.

3) The Colts lose to the Saints in a blowout and we all get to see the apex Manning face against a backdrop of fireworks and confetti.

So to sum up...The city of New Orleans gets a needed boost, Goober gets a gut punch, Favre teases another city but inevitably tears out their heart yet again, and the Jets set themselves up for a biblical letdown in 2010. Sounds about right to me.

1) Jets lose to the Colts with Revis getting called for pass interference 7 times. Tubby declares the Jets the Super Bowl favorites for next year and makes disappointment in 2010 almost a certainty.

2) Vikings lose to the Saints with Favre throwing a killer interception late...which Favre doesn't see because he has his "pants on the ground" after getting whacked. Favre cries a little in the post-game presser and starts the "return or retire" clock running. Reggie Bush (the only jerk-wad on the Saints) tears his achilles, ACL, MCL and larynx on the same play and is unable to participate in or talk about the Super Bowl.

3) The Colts lose to the Saints in a blowout and we all get to see the apex Manning face against a backdrop of fireworks and confetti.

So to sum up...The city of New Orleans gets a needed boost, Goober gets a gut punch, Favre teases another city but inevitably tears out their heart yet again, and the Jets set themselves up for a biblical letdown in 2010. Sounds about right to me.

That's the scenario that works for me, too. Kills three birds with one stone. JETS fail to win anything, Colts lose a SB, Favre does nothing more than his usual prolonging of the inevitable. NFC team closes the book on the decade debate.

Oh the Manningface after that would be Epic....

I really hope this happens. Well said.

I will be pulling for the Jets on Sunday but fully expect a killer penalty or 2 that turns the tide in favor of the home team.

Pats fans had also better root for the Saints. The Colts would destroy the Vikings.

Oh the Manningface after that would be Epic....

I really hope this happens. Well said.

Another plus is that the New Orleans parade will be the mother of all parades.

In the Mannings and Favres back yards, yet !

I would like to see the Jets win...however they won't because:

The Colts FG kicker will not miss 3 FGs inside that dome

Peyton Manning will not throw a stupid interception inside the dome in the 4 th quarter

Peyton Manning is not Mark Sanchez

the Jets improbable ride comes to a screeching halt this weekend

Another plus is that the New Orleans parade will be the mother of all parades.

In the Mannings and Favres back yards, yet !

Oh man that would be even better...good point

If the Green Beans beat Indy, it will forever haunt the Dolts for having literally spawned their own demise by letting them into the playoffs. All Indy had to do was beat them a few weeks ago and Jersey would've been eliminated en route to a perfect season. It will forever tarnish Polian's legacy and wreck Manning's quest for a second ring. I want the Beans to beat Indy and then get slaughtered in the Super Bowl by New Orleans. To me, that's the best of all possible outcomes.

Last edited:
If the Green Beans beat Indy, it will forever haunt the Dolts for having literally spawned their own demise by letting them into the playoffs. All Indy had to do was beat them and Jersey would've been eliminated en route to a perfect season. It will forever tarnish Polian's legacy and wreck Manning's quest for a second ring. I want the Beans to beat Indy and then get slaughtered in the Super Bowl. To me, that's the best of all possible outcomes.

Yeah talk about pressure on the Dolts now to beat the Jest. Manning will never be the same if they loose. Almost makes me happy to see the jest in the post season. ALMOST....

One other fringe benefit if the Jets win next week. When contract time rolls around and before for those that want to renegotiate, their value or perceived self-value goes way up as in "show me the money" something they
haven't had to deal with before. After, they are players on a "Super Bowl"team. Or as the Pats, Colts and Steelers say, "welcome to my world".....

One other fringe benefit if the Jets win next week. When contract time rolls around and before for those that want to renegotiate, their value or perceived self-value goes way up as in "show me the money" something they
haven't had to deal with before. After, they are players on a "Super Bowl"team. Or as the Pats, Colts and Steelers say, "welcome to my world".....

Great point. For the players they have to re-sign after 2010, Mangold is up and Revis can void his contract after next year as well (which he is almost certain to do). Can you imagine the contract that Revis is going to ask for? It will make the $29M guaranteed to Asomugha look like chump change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes