Welcome to PatsFans.com

Good read re; The Middle East from a Middle Easterner

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turd Furguson, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No cooments from the left on this one?

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +345 / 12 / -11

It's an interesting perspective. He recognize how dysfunctional the Arab countries are and favors war to overcome terrorism. The problem is that in the aftermath of war, a power vacuum remains in which the terrorists can get more power. I think containment, economic punishments and incentives, the internet, educational aid, the United Nations, etc. are the key to turning the region around. I don't think there's an iota of evidence yet that overthrowing Saddam Hussein has made the region or the world any safer. But, I am glad you posted that, because for people like Harry Boy, it's important to show that there are Arab moderates. After all, people like Harry believe the problem is with the Muslims in general, and that kind of attitude makes the problem worse.

4. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The United Nations?

Ask Kofi Annan how things are going in Darfur.

I dont pretend to have all the answers but I'm not sure you can deal with a culture of fanatacism in that kind of way.

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +345 / 12 / -11

Turd, the UN is only as powerful as its members allow it to be. If the US worked through and with the UN, the UN would be more effective. It's pretty common knowledge that as people become middle class, they become more interested in self-preservation and less radical. Mao understood that and used it to win the revolution. He knew the middle class would not take sides. If instead of spending $400 billion on war, we spent it on programs that help and benefit the average person, I think we would be closer to achieving peace.

6. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm not buying that argument for one second.

First, you're assuming that the UN is NOT a corrupt body, which it most definately is.

Second, you're assuming that its the US's job to drive the UN's agenda (which if the UN was actually NOT corrupt, it wouldnt/shouldnt have to do)

Third, you're assuming that these "poor radicals" are coming from poor countries which is exactly the opposite. Their nations of origin are the wealthiest in the world.

Throwing money at the problem will not solve it.

7. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'm all for international cooperation, but the UN is a joke. Getting every country under one umbrella is still a pipe dream. We should ally with people who share our morals (unfortunately we don't have a good sense of morals right now, but that's how it should work, say with another Administration in power).

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +345 / 12 / -11

The UN has average corruption compared with any government including our own. Even the UN's role in the oil for food scandal does not appear to be that significant at least in terms of dollar amounts. The UN has many good people working for it, and some corrupt people. That's a problem with ANY large organization.

The UN is made up of nations that drive it's agenda. The fact is the bigger nations have more say. It's actually a fairly democratic system. If the US succeeded in working through the UN, it would have had far broader support than it has today.

I think those committing the crimes, especially suicide bombers are mostly poor and uneducated or mentally ill. They are people who needed help, but instead are being exploited by the likes of Osama bin Laden.

Then, I take you oppose the war, which is throwing $400 billion at the problem.

9. Turd Furguson

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Suicide bombers are young, kept uneducated, poor and are either mentally ill or retarded.

Them being poor has nothing to do with them being bombers and trying to make a point for what they believe to be a fantastic cause. Thats why the higher ups in Al-Qaeda dont volunteer for these missions or dont volunteer their children for these "glorious missions"

10. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +400 / 13 / -27

#15 Jersey

That's not always the case. I saw many reports of suicide attackers from Saudi Arabia that were educated and from prominent families, just like the 9-11 attackers.

The poor and uneducated ones are indeed dangerous, but no where near as dangerous as the orginized, educated and intelligent ones.