Good Read overall, but some insight on D-Giv's moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.gotitans.com/artman/publish/article_001367.shtml

Fans -- as well as many members of the media -- may complain when they believe a team pays too much for a player. Here's what I tell them: If they've targeted a player they want, they have to do what they believe it takes to get him. Take receiver David Givens, for instance. He grew up outside Houston, and the Texans wanted him desperately. But they could offer only $18.5 million over five years, including a $5 million signing bonus. He wanted to come home and play for the Texans, and he told them he'd give them a hometown discount. Agent Brad Blank wanted him to return to New England, but the Patriots could offer him only $17.5 million over five years. The Titans stepped up to the plate. They did what they had to do to get the top free agent receiver on the market. NFL scouts I trust had Givens rated ahead of Antwaan Randle El. So Reese gave him $24 million over five years rather than risk the Texans increasing their offer enough for Givens to accept less money to play in his hometown. Not only did Reese improve the Titans' offense with the Givens addition, but they kept the Texans, an AFC South rival, from strengthening their offense.

Not only does Givens have a lot of ability and two Super Bowl rings, but he's a first-class act who has leadership ability. He knows what it takes to win and win big because he's known nothing else since he came into the NFL and spent four seasons with the Patriots. I expect him to surpass his numbers with the Patriots, whose style is to spread the ball all over the field. But the question is who'll be throwing the ball -- Steve McNair or Billy Volek? It may take a while for that question to be answered. But I can tell you this from knowing Reese, Fisher and owner Bud Adams for a long, long time: If McNair and Bus Cook don't come to their senses on their contract demands, they'll be in the same situation Eddie George was in. McNair should look back and think long and hard about what happened to Eddie because he wanted an extra million. And I guarantee you that Eddie regrets it, even if he'll never admit it.

Fans -- as well as many members of the media -- may complain when they believe a team pays too much for a player. Here's what I tell them: If they've targeted a player they want, they have to do what they believe it takes to get him.
LOL, I'm glad this isn't my wife . . . "I know we're paying twice what the car is worth, dear, but I really, really want it".

:D

Good luck David having the vaunted Billy Volek throwing to you.

Givens's greed

Another article quoted Givens's agent telling him it was a "no brainer" decision because Tennessee's offer was well above the Pats' and Houston's. It's a no-brainer only if you're greedy and money is the object. A lot has been written that Givens hadn't previously received his big payday, and now was his chance, but isn't the Pats' 17.5 million a big payday? Sure it's not as big as Tennessee's offer, but it's big nonetheless unless money is your main goal. With the Pats' 5.5 million (I think) signing bonus, couldn't Givens have bought any house in New England he wanted? Sorry David, go enjoy your riches elsewhere. You won't be getting another ring any time soon.

shakadave said:
Another article quoted Givens's agent telling him it was a "no brainer" decision because Tennessee's offer was well above the Pats' and Houston's. It's a no-brainer only if you're greedy and money is the object. A lot has been written that Givens hadn't previously received his big payday, and now was his chance, but isn't the Pats' 17.5 million a big payday? Sure it's not as big as Tennessee's offer, but it's big nonetheless unless money is your main goal. With the Pats' 5.5 million (I think) signing bonus, couldn't Givens have bought any house in New England he wanted? Sorry David, go enjoy your riches elsewhere. You won't be getting another ring any time soon.
First, taxes cut everything in half. Second, up until last year's RFA payday of 1.4 million, he'd received rather low pay for an NFL player. Third, he's already won two championships. Fourth, he could bust his knee in TC and see nothing but his signing bonus.

He'll never see this kind of money ever again in his life.

Lastly, if he believes in himself, he wants that opportunity in Tennessee to be a #1 receiver. Personally, I don't know how well he'll do without Branch, Faulk, Watson and Graham drawing coverage and Brady throwing, but that's the gamble he needs to take.

I don't blame him at all and I don't think he's greedy. If I had his physical talent and, for all practical purposes, no college education, I'd do the same.

PatsFan37 said:
First, taxes cut everything in half. Second, up until last year's RFA payday of 1.4 million, he'd received rather low pay for an NFL player. Third, he's already won two championships. Fourth, he could bust his knee in TC and see nothing but his signing bonus.

He'll never see this kind of money ever again in his life.

Lastly, if he believes in himself, he wants that opportunity in Tennessee to be a #1 receiver. Personally, I don't know how well he'll do without Branch, Faulk, Watson and Graham drawing coverage and Brady throwing, but that's the gamble he needs to take.

I don't blame him at all and I don't think he's greedy. If I had his physical talent and, for all practical purposes, no college education, I'd do the same.
I think he got a good education at Nore Dame....but I don't see him as overly greedy...and he still to me is a class act..he never once downed the Pats orag...something that both ANdruzzia dn Woody did on the way out to big pay days.

Pats726 said:
I think he got a good education at Nore Dame....but I don't see him as overly greedy...and he still to me is a class act..he never once downed the Pats orag...something that both ANdruzzia dn Woody did on the way out to big pay days.
Point taken, Pats players in general made more use of college than most of the NFL and from what I've seen, Givens is a smart, articulate guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back