Welcome to PatsFans.com

Good news from Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by STFarmy, Oct 6, 2008.

1. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Well, potentially anyway.

Sources: Taliban split with al Qaeda, seek peace - CNN.com

Sources: Taliban split with al Qaeda, seek peace

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Taliban leaders are holding Saudi-brokered talks with the Afghan government to end the country's bloody conflict -- and are severing their ties with al Qaeda, sources close to the historic discussions have told CNN.

The militia, which has been intensifying its attacks on the U.S.-led coalition that toppled it from power in 2001 for harboring Osama bin Laden's terrorist network, has been involved in four days of talks hosted by Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah, says the source.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  2. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My condolances to WW. It's gotta be a sad day for him. The thought that we aren't losing BOTH WARS now has to be killing him. Sorry Wes.
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +603 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I read a few days ago that the king was involved in talks. Quite shocking to see the king so politically mostivated is how some see it. The king sees the Shia getting stronger so he's doing what he can to build up Sunni power. This thread goes along with my oil thread ... they are connected and part of an overall larger political strategy by the king.
  4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Which is a war?

How do you declare victory when you can't even catch/kill/confirm the fate of the man you're allegedly after?
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

That is good news. Maybe we'll be able to bring all the troops home soon.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Of all the fronts we are facing in this WOT, Afghanistan scares me the most.. from a geographical point of view and from a tribal point of view.. just do not know how anyone can believe the US can bring stability and eradicate the Taliban in a country that is essentially governed by tribes that will do just about anything for some cash..
  7. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Well I don't think the point is to eradicate the Taliban. Unlike the Iraq War, the purpose for going into Afghanistan did not change. It was always to oust the Taliban, because they had links to Al Qaeda ad were thought to be hiding UBL. But, if they are going to break ties with AQ and help the US hunt them, then we have no reason to keep up the war on that front. This is all not set at this point, but I think it's great news. Hasn't really been covered too much, so I thought I'd throw it out here for all my fellow political junkies.
  8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i love when bushies start popping champagne bottles and singing victory... whether its the surge, or the complex story presented here

they attacked our financial center on 9/11, and 7 years later, we're on the brink of financial collapse... yet some insist 7 years of failed foreign policy is looking like "victory" ... oh, the irony...

AQ already won...
  9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Nice how you lump anyone who sees any progress whatsoever as a "Bushie" Anyway who's "popping champagne bottles and singing victory? "Clearly, STFarmy said it was potentially good news. The closest anyone came to claiming victory was the "thought that we might not be losing both wars." If you can make that leap then you might as well make this one. So sorry Patters, by PC's proclamation you are now officially a Bushie for seeing this as "good news"

How's this PC? I love it how America haters feel the need to brush off any hint of progress America has made in any way shape or form for anything whatsoever and the will belittle anyone who has a differing opinion.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  10. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

[​IMG]
    King Abdullah of Saudia Arabia hosted meetings between the Afghan government and the Taliban, a source says.

Not a single bullet?! Mission accomplished with not bullets shot???

Conflict Mediation works , you just realize that ?? Waaaaaaa Bogeyman :singing:
  11. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Do you mean I'm a Bushie? I'm certainly not if that's what you think. I just thought this was good news. The financial turmoil sucks yes, but assuming the Taliban wants peace and to maybe work with us to capture AQ, this is a good development.
  12. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

what are you, 6?

my comment did not identify anyone specifically as a Bushie .... but it was mostly directed towards PiNY, a confirmed Bush supporter.... so gear down, and reprogram... regardless, the fact remains that i enjoy Bushie sentiment regarding "victory" or "progress"... whether you hear it on Michael Savage, or Fix News, or Piggie Limbaugh, or right here on this forum...

as i've told a dozen ignorant posters before who punted to the tired "you must hate america" bit of rationale... i love America... neoconic "bomb em all" pre-emption theory is not my idea of "America"... it shouldn't be yours either...

Afghanistan is lost... the Caspian pipeline is now a pipedream, the poppy crop will be burned again, hindering the global drug trade, and the Taliban will simply wait us out... talk of a ceasefire between factions the Bush League is no longer serious about neutralizing is not "progress" ...
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

\Why do you think we are only after a single man? The goal is to keep a movement from attacking US citizens in this country.
  14. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

They went to the Saudi's cause their leaders are being killed by predator drones and the Pakistani's are conducting operations against them.

Silly lib.
  15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

i don't... but your logic here would dictate a strike into not only pakistan, but also Saudi Arabia...
  16. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

So a, or the war, rests soley upon the death, or capture, of a single person? What happens if we catch/kill Osama tomorrow? Does Al-Queda just go away? Do we withdraw all our forces from across the globe? When you catch John Gotti, does the mafia stop doing business? I see your point, but a single person, while important, doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Important yes, the end all, no.
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

:rofl: What a loser thing to say. Typical of your kind. [​IMG] Harry Reid, is that you?
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +316 / 4 / -2

From what I understand the Saudi's went to them. Obviously there has to be some form of mutual interest, and out reach, for meetings like this to transpire. My guess as to why this happened is mixed. Part of me believes that that the turmoil in Pakistan, with AQ's increased violence versus the government (to undermine it), has forced SA to realize the dangers that exist there. Were Pakistan's govt to collapse, or even fall victim to some form of overthrow attempt, it could mean bad news for the Royal Family, which is an AQ enemy. Furthermore, the Taliban despite the idea that the US is losing the war, has really been decimated in every attempt at gaining ground in Afghanistan. Remember, the Taliban was open to negotiations with Karzai a couple of years ago, and had some lower level meetings if I'm not mistaken. With the SA's involved, there is added incentive, and assistance, in brokering a deal. It's in everyone['s best inerest. The Taliban knows we're not leaving there anytime soon, especially since Iraq is looking more, and more stable.

BTW, don't think that the presidential election has nothing to do with the added motivation of the Saudi's. If Obama wins, it means a possible withdrawl in Iraq, and a likely feeble reply to a nuclear Iran. Iran is Shia, SA is Sunni. An Obama presidency (speculating here) would be less inclined to use force in any region, and the Saudi's probably realize that such policy wouldn't be good for them. It could mean a toppled Pakistan with AQ nukes, a nuclear Iran, and an unprotected (by US forces) Iraq, left to Iran to meddle in. Remember, I'm merely speculating here.
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

What are you 5? No you specifically didn't identify anyone. That's your style. You reply to posts with association implications as a way to circle around and deny any personal attack accusations, but we get it PC. To you we do indeed become "Bushies" and and his administration budies become our "heros" whenever we post anything suggesting even potential progress. It seems to me it's you that punted by using the tired old Bushie rational to attack anyone posting something not in lock step with your view. Hold up your tired old Bushie rational in the mirror and you see the reverse image of the tired Amrerica hater rational. That's my point.

Pre-emption is dangerous obviously as recent history proves but also can be necessary. 911 proved that due to ignoring or brushing of intelligence that should have been acted on which in turn could have prevented the attacks.

So now that Obama is going to be our Commander-in-Chief and he's calling for steping it up in Afghanistan, are we all going to be proclaimed Obama leaguer's for supporting such a lost cause or does that only work one way?