PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good news for Troy Brown..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots4Ever

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
With Branch obviously not expected to open the season and Chad Jackson's status also up in the air.It has become quite obvious that Troy Will see a good deal of playing time this year.If Im correct he only needs a small amount of Receptions to put him into the Honor of Number ONE all time Reciever in patriots history for receptions.If im not mistaken our current leader is Stanley Morgan.Am I correct in this>?

not sure that Troy thinks its good news..hes a team guy and he wants to win..he probably knows if he was 3rd-4th with Deion back and Jackson doing something..that team would likely be succesfull but he deserves it..works hard..team guy. love him

Without looking, I believe he is 27 short of Stanley, who really made the most of his receptions. His average yardage (Stanley) was incredible for a career, over 15 ypc, maybe even 17-18.

Remix 6 said:
not sure that Troy thinks its good news..hes a team guy and he wants to win..he probably knows if he was 3rd-4th with Deion back and Jackson doing something..that team would likely be succesfull but he deserves it..works hard..team guy. love him

Remix,your probably right.I didnt mean for it to sound like thats why he would want to be in the starting lineup.I just felt its a GREAT accomplishment for a guy who as you state.IS SUCH A TEAM GUY.I just think that 20 years from now its going to be pretty awesome to look back and see Brown so far up on our all time list.Given all the great years of hard work he has put into it.

Patriots4Ever said:
Remix,your probably right.I didnt mean for it to sound like thats why he would want to be in the starting lineup.I just felt its a GREAT accomplishment for a guy who as you state.IS SUCH A TEAM GUY.I just think that 20 years from now its going to be pretty awesome to look back and see Brown so far up on our all time list.Given all the great years of hard work he has put into it.

didnt mean to act like a smartass but yea im very happy for him

As great a player as Troy has been, I wish Stanley could keep his team records. Troy really isn't anywhere near as good as Stanley was, and that not a knock on Troy. If Stanley had been on a different team he would have been in the HOF. He was as good as James Lofton, maybe better as a deep threat. I don't understand why he isn't in the Patriot HOF, for that matter; it's an egregious oversight.

PonyExpress said:
As great a player as Troy has been, I wish Stanley could keep his team records. Troy really isn't anywhere near as good as Stanley was, and that not a knock on Troy. If Stanley had been on a different team he would have been in the HOF. He was as good as James Lofton, maybe better as a deep threat. I don't understand why he isn't in the Patriot HOF, for that matter; it's an egregious oversight.

I cant speak for Stanley Morgan.Having Been Born in 1983,I was too young to remember Him.Though,I have gotten a chance to see Troy,And while I really don't think his stats will bring him into the HOF at all.It has been a Joy watching the guy.He is the epitamy of "Team".I do believe this will be his last year.Unfortunately.I do admire your honesty though...

R YDS AVG TD
Morgan 534 10352 19.4 67
Brown 514 5982 11.6 27

Sorry, I was wrong: 20 more for Brown, 19.4! career avg for Stanley.

Keep in mind, when Stanley played, stats weren't as "inflated" as they are now. Regardless, these numbers, not to mention his impact for the Pats, really do deserve consideration for some sort of Hall of Fame. His career was waning when I was born, but even I have seen film and even watched him play when I was very young.

Brown SHOULD be focusing on surpassing some of these numbers. For both personal and professional reasons. While more tenured fans are nostagically sad to see records fall, they should be hopeful today that they will. Brown has never given us any reason to wish against him catching balls this year. It's not as re-assuring as expecting Branch to do it, but, Brown HAS been cut before and he is HERE catching balls and he's good at it.

I wasnt alive during these times but how good of a wr tandem were stanley morgan and irving fryar?

PonyExpress said:

Agree that Stanley was Da Man and a better WR than my fav Troy. I'm schocked to hear he's not in the Pats HOF.
Back in the 80s my company advertised on the Pats radio station so my boss the VP got invited to a sponsor's Patriots dinner. My MIT geek VP boss was not a sports fan so as the #2 I got to go. Got in trouble for just thinking about eating one of the Patriots dinners when he was AWOL. Met & sat with Stanley. To my chagrin all he wanted to talk about was investments and mortgage rates. Nice, smart guy.

hobbsownscoles said:
I wasnt alive during these times but how good of a wr tandem were stanley morgan and irving fryar?

Fryar was tremendously talented, but "troubled". He never really came into his own until he quit substances and joined Miami. Still put up decent, not great numbers.

Morgan was just reliable as can be. I guess their avg. yds was greater and % less in those days so # catches was less.

Plus they ran the ball pretty well back then.:D

Stanley "Steamer" Morgan
Irving "if it's not a knife in the kitchen, it's a fork in the road" Fryar

What a great moment it will be to see Troy break the all time # of reception record for the Pats.

I was fortunate enough to be able see Grogan & Morgan hook up quite often. Stanley Steamers deep catches for TD's were absolutley a thing of beauty to behold. Stanley had that extra burst of speed or 5th gear which would always kick in just as he plucked the ball out of the air. This would enable him to turn on the after burners and totally leave covering DB's in his dust.

Troy Brown is probably the most driven athelete I have ever had the pleasure to watch. What a survivor, what a smart player, a real live true football player. Troy Brown belongs in the Patriots HOF for sure - maybe, just maybe in Canton as well?

For the long termers:

Irving Fryar=Deion Branch?

You know, considering FA and all

ATippett56 said:
Stanley "Steamer" Morgan
Irving "if it's not a knife in the kitchen, it's a fork in the road" Fryar

That's what I remember. I was surprised he caught as many balls with us as he did.

zarakotas5 said:
For the long termers:

I'm not sure I understand? = in what way?

Troy Brown should never have to pay for another drink or meal in NE, but Hall of Fame, no way.

That said: Troy Brown should be in the hall of football players, whatever that means.

troy knows the story

Remix 6 said:
i completely agree.
troy can still find the holes in the coverage (see game againt cardinals) but he's not fast enuf anymore to escape once he has the ball.
with deion his elusiveness vs DBs reminds me more of a roadrunner-wile e. coyote thing. with troy, it's a 10-yard catch and then get hammered.
IMHO troy is thoroughly aware of this. he knows what he can and cannot do. he can do a no.1 thing, but patriots will still have to stretch the field somehow.
also--who'll be the slot receiver? watson? if it's watson in the slot, BB won't be able to do the little where's waldo games with 2 TEs and the FB. the entire offensive set is affected.

RayClay:

I may get this wrong. I was curious of other's ideas, but here goes (besides the quote):

My idea was that we all had high hopes for Fryar. He woulda, coulda, shoulda, a la our present Deion situation. I still think back as to what might have been had we had Fryar as Fryer was expected to be. Similarly, we have a decent/semi-great receiver that is capable of truly great things. Yet, as fans, we are getting the shaft, again, via cliche, woulda, coulda, shoulda. I really didn't have any real point beyond this, but I was curious if anyone else felt it was similarly non-important, all things considered.

zarakotas5 said:
For the long termers:

No way - While Irving was here he was very young, dumb and immature. Always talented but he wasted those talents in NE. He was into drugs, had many family problems (bubbled over with the famous wife/knife incident) and DWI (yes, he left Foxboro at halftime and slammed his car into a tree high on alcohol or drugs or both), he was just your ordinary NFL malcontent. After he left, he turned his life and career totally around. He became a man of God and righted his sinking ship in the process. I hope he continued to do well after football.

Deion Branch is hard working, serious and intelligent (at least he was until his agent stole his brain). Deion cares about life outside of football is a true family man and gives much of himself to charity. Sadly, none of his first years here are being talked about and who he really is, is not being conveyed that much at all.

I do not think the Pats are wrong here and I do think Deion is reaching for a contract beyond his true worth and value. However, that should not diminish him as a man and cannot take away his many successes. I wish he would wake up before it is too late. Once again ,I say something has to be missing from this situation that we have not found out about. It just does not make sense that Deion can be so dumb and his agent even stupider. Where are his freinds when he needs them - somebody that is close to him has to see what is going on and should be all over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes