PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good Mock by Kirwan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucky

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I think Pat Kirwan is one of the most knowledgeable Insiders out there. This, I think, is a real good mock draft (at least the first round) along with good explanations and some interesting rumors.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9392296

Bobby Carpenter and Brian Calhoun. Love the 1st round pick, not sure about Calhoun.

Not at all bad...really Carpenter makes sense there..but Calhoun 2nd round??? It rather they took Norwood if they wishes for a RB..to me he has better intangibles..and Stovall or DJackson or McCargo or Scheffler???? I guess I might not understand the 2nd pick...but the first round seems like it might be how it will be...although when does it EVER happen that way.

It will be very interesting if the Pats do indeed have a choice between Carpenter, Greenway and Holmes. With regard to Calhoun, I'm guessing he did the entire 2nd round based on his board more than anything else. But I like him going out on a limb with some of his picks - Mangold and Lewis in particular.

If we are going for a RB in the 2nd round I prefer Addai.

Love his explaination of the Bobby Carpenter pick. Just what the smart people have been saying all along.

14. Philadelhia: Nick Mangold, C, Ohio State
Most people think this is way too high for a center, but Mangold is good enough to justify the selection. The Eagles wanted LeCharles Bentley badly in the offseason and unless they trade for Jeff Faine, this pick makes a lot of sense to me.Not one offensive line coach I have spoken to felt Mangold wasn't the second best lineman in the draft to Ferguson.
:eek: I was thinking about this over the weekend... wouldn't Patriot Nation flip right out if we "reached" for Mangold at #21. :D (I was trying to think of off the wall picks that would cause me to throw things at my TV) ...then he shows up on Kirwan's draft at #14. Had to laugh.

The blurb for the Giants is a cautionary note to consider if one of the better LBs aren't there at 21; and yes, I'd take Winston or Colledge over Carpenter.

Interesting and informative article.

Leads me to hazard a guess. It sounds as though Kirwan has some real information about teams' thinking and that enough of them are looking at 'tweeners for there to be something of a scramble for 3-4 outside linebackers/4-3 defensive ends. If so, I doubt that we'll react by trying to trade up; look for us to try to get value at a less heavily recruited position.

I'd be happy with those 1st 2 picks but then again I like Calhoun more than most. I think him and Dillon would be an awesome one two punch.

Mock is pretty crappy if you ask me.

And Vince Young is not going to the Raiders; bank on it.

I listen to Patty and T-rock everyday on my lunch break. They have been doing indepth interviews with most of the prospects as well as talking with the GMs and Head Coaches about thier draaft strategy.

As far as it goes, his is probably as accurate as any of the others and he does have a good handle on the value of players in the draft.

I do see the DE/LB run happening between 16-27. There is a lot of talent that is bnched up in that area and once one gets taken, look for the rest to come off the board in a hurry.

Ceresco said:
I'd be happy with those 1st 2 picks but then again I like Calhoun more than most. I think him and Dillon would be an awesome one two punch.

I backed him in the Todd Mcshay thread and got crushed, so watch what you say.:bricks:

This was the last info I received on him, re: his Pro Day, in Sports Illustrated-
6. Brian Calhoun, RB, Wisconsin: Warning flags were raised after Calhoun ran terribly slow times at the combine. He bettered them by nearly three tenths of a second during his pro day, stopping watches at 4.35 seconds. Calhoun then put on a pass-catching clinic. He is considered one of the better third-down backs in this draft and solidified himself as a top-60 choice.
I always liked him @ CO. Didn't see him too much last year (don't you hate when work gets in the way of Football...). Someone said he had a slow start to his 40. We'll all see in the next year or so...

Last edited:
I am curious as to whom the round 1 player is who failed a drug test...

KDPpatsfan said:
DT Claude Wroten (LSU) and soon to be County Work Gang 17 if he doesn't get a clue.

KDPpatsfan said:
I suspect we'll know soon. He'll be the one dropping to the 6th round on Sunday just like last year (and probably picked by the Raiders too).

SamBamsFan said:
I suspect we'll know soon. He'll be the one dropping to the 6th round on Sunday just like last year (and probably picked by the Raiders too).
If it is Wroten I would ot be surprised if the Pat's took a day two flyer on him...same goes for Saban.

KDPpatsfan said:
If it is Wroten I would ot be surprised if the Pat's took a day two flyer on him...same goes for Saban.

I was just jesting about Antaj Hawthorne. I really couldn't guess who was the guilty party @ this point.

KDPpatsfan said:
I would, he was busted with a load of marijuana before the Senior Bowl and was asked to withdraw as a result. The charges have since been dropped, but now his name has been leaked by "unnamed" NFL officials along with PK John Scifres (SW MO or in that neighborhood) for scoring a positive test. There is a thread on that around here somewhere, but the Pats like their young players a little more cleancut, and their problem boys to pass a background search (Dillon and Warfield). I'm afraid Wroten's letter to the 32 clubs telling them the marijuana bust was an isolated incident and he's very sorry needs a follow-up note on how the THC just naturally seeped through the wrapping and his clothing.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I would, he was busted with a load of marijuana before the Senior Bowl and was asked to withdraw as a result. The charges have since been dropped, but now his name has been leaked by "unnamed" NFL officials along with PK John Scifres (SW MO or in that neighborhood) for scoring a positive test. There is a thread on that around here somewhere, but the Pats like their young players a little more cleancut, and their problem boys to pass a background search (Dillon and Warfield). I'm afraid Wroten's letter to the 32 clubs telling them the marijuana bust was an isolated incident and he's very sorry needs a follow-up note on how the THC just naturally seeped through the wrapping and his clothing.
Like I said..with so many day 2 picks..a sixth wouldn't bother me at all given that the likelyhood of sixth and seventh rounders sticking is fairly slim anyway. (I
know someone will bring up Brady but that is exactly my point with Wroten...low risk V high reward.) Of course some team may well take that flyer in the 3rd which would be crazy in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down