PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

good luck to everybody with hurricane sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marlton, NJ: I thought my roof was going to blow off last night…but no loss of cable or internet. We lucked out...

It's times like this that I'm glad I live in a rowhouse with a flat roof. :)

You just never know. Just talked to a friend in Newton who said he never even lost power although 3 trees in his circular neighborhood went down taking sidewalk slabs with them. All 3 landed directly on cars destroying them. His 89 year old mom lives alone on Long Island and is without power. His sister just downsized from a big home in a jersey suburb to a condo in Hoboken. No power and two cars, one just bought, submerged in basement parking. Kind of par for the course for her as she used to work in the city, in one of the highrises directly behind the towers on 911.

Neighborhood I live in lost 200 trees to a freak wind sheer event this summer so that kinda culled the herd...

So far Frankenstorm is a bust here in southern NH even though the kids have no school.

I live in Manhattan.

The storm was, I assure you, not a "bust."

I sat without power, phone or internet yesterday and was annoyed because, to be frank, it was really just a breeze and I'm in the middle of an urban area of 4 million people, not up some lane in the woods.

But when I hear about my friends in Manhattan I realize how lucky we here were, the power companies notwithstanding.

I live in Manhattan.

From everything I've seen that whole area is in horrific shape. Definitely feel for you and everyone affected...it's unreal :(

I live in Manhattan.

I was only talking about Nashua, NH where I live and it was early when I typed that. Never implied that my comments were directed anywhere else. The storm in fact, did miss us, and obviously hit much further south and along the coast here. Hope you and your family and friends are safe and/or recovering quickly.

I think there is a tendency to call storms a bust when they don't hit us, but it's a good thing they are busts because the alternative is awful. I remember everyone during Irene calling it a total bust but some parts were hit hard and I'm sure they didn't think so. I think this storm was pretty accurate given the warnings. The models were pretty good and the warnings pretty accurate. We didn't lose power or trees here in Northern Va. but I'm so so glad. Sure, more of my fence blew down....it still hasn't been fixed from the derecho. But so many others weren't as lucky at all. Hopes for a quick recovery to all those affected!

I think there is a tendency to call storms a bust when they don't hit us, but it's a good thing they are busts because the alternative is awful. I remember everyone during Irene calling it a total bust but some parts were hit hard and I'm sure they didn't think so. I think this storm was pretty accurate given the warnings. The models were pretty good and the warnings pretty accurate. We didn't lose power or trees here in Northern Va. but I'm so so glad. Sure, more of my fence blew down....it still hasn't been fixed from the derecho. But so many others weren't as lucky at all. Hopes for a quick recovery to all those affected!

I think there is a tendancy in society these days to call lots of busts, not to mention conspiracies, like it's a competition between some folks and anyone else to perceive themselves as superior thinkers in all matters.;)

This was one time when the meteorologists weren't exagerating in a clear effort to spur supermarket and hardware store sales... and track wise nailed a once in a decade if not more monster and gave everyone in it's path fair and ample warning. I was watching the weather channel coverage on Sunday AM and they broke in for a presser with NY Mayor Bloomberg stiffly downplaying their predictions and announcing there was no need and were no plans for evacuations based on what he was hearing. Came back to the program and the broadcasters were dumbfounded at his spin. Of course his tune changed several hours later.

I think there is a tendancy in society these days to call lots of busts, not to mention conspiracies, like it's a competition between some folks and anyone else to perceive themselves as superior thinkers in all matters.;)

This was one time when the meteorologists weren't exagerating in a clear effort to spur supermarket and hardware store sales... and track wise nailed a once in a decade if not more monster and gave everyone in it's path fair and ample warning. I was watching the weather channel coverage on Sunday AM and they broke in for a presser with NY Mayor Bloomberg stiffly downplaying their predictions and announcing there was no need and were no plans for evacuations based on what he was hearing. Came back to the program and the broadcasters were dumbfounded at his spin. Of course his tune changed several hours later.

Here in Central NH, we made out pretty well. I do find you have to listen closely to what the talking heads are saying. When they talk about forecasting a "worst ever" type of storm, you have to listen to the where's and when's. My heart goes out to the folks in CT, NY, and NJ. You guys took a pounding on this one. However, watching the local forecasts up here, they use hyperbolic words like "worst ever", and then tell us 2-4 inches of rain with 30-60 mph winds are expected in our area. That hardly constitutes worst ever. I think you have to look through the strong adjectives and see what is coming your way. It was very clear that you folks down south were going to bear the brunt, while those of us north of Mass. were going to be spared a great deal of the mess.

Looking at the pictures on Boston.com it looks so much like the NO area after Katrina, with the exception of the standing water for weeks in houses. Just terrible, bringing back a lot of memories.

That said, I'm getting annoyed with the "serves you right" smug attitude of some people around here at the moment who feel like literally everyone north of the Mason Dixon line said to abandon New Orleans. I can't go 10 minutes without reading/hearing some one sarcastically say "why would they build houses there where it floods? We shouldn't waste money rebuilding there" as if that was the prevailing attitude of everyone after Katrina. Driving me crazy.

Are you suprised? Bloomberg is complete and utter dumbass.

Looking at the pictures on Boston.com it looks so much like the NO area after Katrina, with the exception of the standing water for weeks in houses. Just terrible, bringing back a lot of memories.

That said, I'm getting annoyed with the "serves you right" smug attitude of some people around here at the moment who feel like literally everyone north of the Mason Dixon line said to abandon New Orleans. I can't go 10 minutes without reading/hearing some one sarcastically say "why would they build houses there where it floods? We shouldn't waste money rebuilding there" as if that was the prevailing attitude of everyone after Katrina. Driving me crazy.

While I agree with your sentiment. It must be said.

The people of New Orleans were treated horrendously by local and Federal authorities after Katrina.

Last edited:

I haven't seen that attitude anywhere. For the most part we are New Englanders who have grown up near the ocean, and at least in my case, love the beach. I would be devastated if my family's cottage (not even a permanent home like many folks here) was destroyed by a hurricane and would want to rebuild it for sure. It's pretty clear that a storm of this magnitude has not hit the areas being shown in modern times as they are so developed. The question is, is global warming going to send more of these storms our way in the coming years or is this just a "one hit wonder"? No one knows the answer, of course, but if we did, it would go into the equation of whether to rebuild or not.

still no power here in Charlestown, RI

National Disgrace really ***** the bed on this one

invest in a generator if you own a house....best decision I've made in years

Wow, i finally found a wi fi connection on my fone. I had to find a bar with power and cable. Ive been without power since sunday nite. It is a mess here at the jersey shore. Everybody is on generators. Getting gas is a mission in itself. Lines forever. I finally just got a gen,and im out trying to find gas. Pitstop at the watering hole. I'm in alot better shape than most. Thebeach and resort areas by me are basically gone. My friends house is in 5 ft of water.

Wow, i finally found a wi fi connection on my fone. I had to find a bar with power and cable. Ive been without power since sunday nite. It is a mess here at the jersey shore. Everybody is on generators. Getting gas is a mission in itself. Lines forever. I finally just got a gen,and im out trying to find gas. Pitstop at the watering hole. I'm in alot better shape than most. Thebeach and resort areas by me are basically gone. My friends house is in 5 ft of water.

a good friend of mine stayed on Rockaway in NY...they closed the bridges out on Sunday night..he called me Monday morning and I never heard from him until now.the storm surge came in and washed over the entire island five to six feet deep...fires broke out...people were going from block to block , house to house seeking shelter...a real nightmare. Thank God he and his daughter made it.

I put a transfer box to run my generator in my house three months ago....best 400 bucks I EVER spent in my life...for real...I'm running my mom's house next door and the neighbor on the other side has an extension cord running from an outside jack to power his fridge and heating. Still no power here. Stay safe RW&B and be very careful backfeeding that generator if that is what you plan to do

a good friend of mine stayed on Rockaway in NY...they closed the bridges out on Sunday night..he called me Monday morning and I never heard from him until now.the storm surge came in and washed over the entire island five to six feet deep...fires broke out...people were going from block to block , house to house seeking shelter...a real nightmare. Thank God he and his daughter made it.

I put a transfer box to run my generator in my house three months ago....best 400 bucks I EVER spent in my life...for real...I'm running my mom's house next door and the neighbor on the other side has an extension cord running from an outside jack to power his fridge and heating. Still no power here. Stay safe RW&B and be very careful backfeeding that generator if that is what you plan to do

Thnx joker. Im an licensed electician. Appreciate the concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back