PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Good Johnny Damon article:

Just how many times is the '25 guys, 25 cabs' bit going to be ended anyway?
I think at least 5 different players have taken credit for ending that dynamic in my lifetime and I'm only 36!

I'll admit that Damon's brother's, sister-in-law's, best friend's, uncle's, step children will now be able to go to Harvard instead of a crappy, under-equipped school like BC or something; but that's it. He jumped at the money and that's fine. We'll fall in love with whoever replaces him, and he'll never live up to the contract he signed. Which means that he'll never have the relationship with the NY fans that he threw away here.

btw my reference to Boston College was sarcasm. So if any BC grads feel like flaming me, please take another look at what I said.

well

sdaniels7114 said:
Just how many times is the '25 guys, 25 cabs' bit going to be ended anyway?
I think at least 5 different players have taken credit for ending that dynamic in my lifetime and I'm only 36!

I'll admit that Damon's brother's, sister-in-law's, best friend's, uncle's, step children will now be able to go to Harvard instead of a crappy, under-equipped school like BC or something; but that's it. He jumped at the money and that's fine. We'll fall in love with whoever replaces him, and he'll never live up to the contract he signed. Which means that he'll never have the relationship with the NY fans that he threw away here.

btw my reference to Boston College was sarcasm. So if any BC grads feel like flaming me, please take another look at what I said.

No offense there guy, but you need to do your research before making such an assumption. It is well noted that JD wanted to come back to Boston, but for some reason the sox didn't want him (or at least that's how they came accross)

The sox knew that he wanted to come back to boston, and they tried to use that to their advantage ( which they should) However they underestimated the yankees and how much they wanted JD. Gammons reported that back during the winter meetings it was Theo who would have gone to what he considererd the max for JD and offered him 4/44. If JD didn't take it, then they would have made the trade for reed from seattle and be done with it and move on. At this time the yankees were not even talking to JD and it is speculated that JD would have taken the deal to stay in boston knowing that they would not offer anything again (either he takes it or they move on) Lucky is famous for thinking he's smarter than everyone else, and he thought he was calling boras's bluff with the yankees offer. JD tried to find out what boston would do, even calling the FO himself. No one would call him back or talk to him --- then when the sox FO finally called boras--it was about a different client. Now the yankees had given JD a 4 hour window to decide, no other teams had shown interest (that's come out now), and the sox wouldn't even call him back. So what would you do? one team offers you a boatload of money, and the team you want to play for, and have given everthing to the last few years---won't even return your phone calls. I don't blame him, i would have done it!

The bottom line is that JD took the money, but from his point of view it was either that or play for some lousy team that will sign him after the market falls. Becuase it was apparent to him that the sox didn't want him back--which is understandable considering everyone else the sox tossed this winter! From his point of view, he took what his last best option! Shilling has even stated recently that in clubhouse talks, JD never intened to play for NY, always thinking he was coming back to boston. However like shill said, he was pretty much backed into a corner--and you can't blame him for what he did!

We will miss you JD, thanks for everything :rocker:

I'm sure Damon would have been happy to stay here if the Sox were willing to overpay him as much. Just like he would have stayed in Oakland if they were willing to pay him as much as us, just like he would have stayed in KC if they were willing to pay him as much as Oakland.

I got no beef with the guy trying to make as much as he can, but let's face it, its all about money with him. Every time Damon talked about how nice it was here, he wasn't talking about the fans or the community, he was talking about how many zeros were on the end of his paycheck. He pulled as much cash out of this community as he could, and then moved on with no looking back, we should do the same.

What a load of tripe. I'm supposed to feel bad for Damon because the Red Sox didn't want to overpay? Cry me a ******* river. It was all about money, bottom line. All the spin from Damon and the Sox won't change that.

What

Johnny Mac said:
What a load of tripe. I'm supposed to feel bad for Damon because the Red Sox didn't want to overpay? Cry me a ******* river. It was all about money, bottom line. All the spin from Damon and the Sox won't change that.

What ard you talking about? You are not supposed to feel bad for anyone, nor is JD getting spin help from the media---just the opposite! The sox wouldn't pay 4/52, we have already established that. So it's not like he left because the sox wouldn't pay that--please read what i posted above so i don't have to retype it! According to all the sources around him, he didn't want to go to NY--but really had not choice given how the redsox ran the negotiations. He did what he thought was best when he was backed into a corner and thought the sox didn't want him anymore----he just didn't bolt to NY becuase they offered him more money! I realize that everyone is boston now wants to toss JD under the bus,,,but let's stick to the facts!

Oh come on.
Because, as Johnny Damon talks about all the money he'll make, his eyes carry a hurt and a sadness that are impossible to miss.
Ah, poor Johnny is hurt and sad. ;_;
Yeah, money is important. Sure. But it's also about feeling wanted, feeling appreciated and, you know, that "R" word, too. Respect.
Ah, poor Johnny isn't appreciated or respected. Boo hoo. ;_;

He absolutely had a choice. 4/40 from the Sox, who he loved so much, or 4/52 from the Yankees, who were so evil and hated. And he took the money. Good for him, but don't play it any other way.

Let's face it - he looks like Jesus, but throws like Mary and acts like Judas.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back